• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 3070 turns screens off and high GPU temps

Associate
Hi all,

Just recently got hold of a new GeForce RTX 3070 Palit GameRock OC. Bought brand new off official Amazon, not a scalper.
My old card was a 970 and it worked just fine.

The problem is when powering on, the graphics card fans start to progressively speed up as the computer boots and once the screen is on and its on desktop the fans are on max speed then both my screens turn off. The pc stays on and booted with the graphics card's fans running at max speed but won't power on the screens.

Sometimes it works and keeps the screens on and the fans start to slow down but if I open any programs they start spinning rapidly again. I've installed ThunderMaster and the idle temp is around 55 degrees but when I do anything like open a program it jumps to 80-90 degrees and the fans speed up accordingly

At first I thought it was my 600w power supply not being enough so today I got a new 850w and the problem still persists.
Everything is plugged in correctly as pc works fine with my old GPU back in.
The card is powered by two 8pins, I was using one 6+2 PCIe cable with 2 stems to plug it in then switched to two separate PCIe cables and problem still happens.
The only thing that I can think of is that the card is faulty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it was hard to get hold of this card and really don't want to have to send it back.

My specs:
GPU: GeForce RTX 3070 Palit GameRock OC
CPU: Intel I5 10600k
Cooler: Corsair H60
RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A Pro
PSU: Corsair RM850

Soldato
To me it sounds distinctly like poor contact between the die and heatsink. Perhaps you got the Friday afternoon model where they forgot the thermal compound!

I’d personally send it back. If you really, really don’t want to then you could try removing and refitting the heatsink yourself with some new thermal paste.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the responses, I'm getting in touch with Palit tomorrow to see about the return options as I want it returned/repaired not refunded.

Back
Top Bottom