New 4k TV networking questions

Soldato
We've just bought a new TV capable of 4k.

The TV has wifi and streaming YouTube in 4k works fine.

However the BT box we have is connected to the router via a powerline adapter and when we try to play HD content it basically telling us there is an issue with your connection.

In other words it ain't fast enough.

What options do we have?

I was hoping there is a product out there I can plug in near the TV which is wireless (connected to router via wireless) and has an ethernet port I can use to plug in the BT TV.

I've also noticed these power line adapters come in different speeds with the fastest one being 1000 Mbps. But will buying something like this really make a difference if it is still using the house electrical system.

Which is pretty old.

---

OK, wirelessly wise I think I have found what I am looking for which is a wifi extender.

What sort of speed do you think the extender needs to support to play 4k content?

There are two I can see one is :

1200Mbps and £40 (100M ethernet)

2200Mbps and around £110 (1Gb ethernet)

We only have an 80Mbps connection so presumably the 1200Mbps and £40 is all we need right?

The funny thing is the description for the 2200Mbps one mentions 4k video but the other one doesn't.

---

So I think the tldr is spec me a wifi extender which is fast enough for streaming 4k content.

I was looking at the Nighthawk Mesh X6S

Last edited:
Soldato
ignore your internet connection speed, its your internal network that will be the problem, ignore the 2200mpbs speed rating, what is key is the number of bands and antennas.

assuming the signal level is strong enough, what you need is a dual-band AC level AC22000 WIFI extender but it has caveats. Your sending router needs to be at minimum of dual-band AC also, G level kit won't cut it and the distance needs to be close enough otherwise, you are probably back to looking at an upgraded homeplug kit.

I would be looking at the Netgear Nighthawk AC2200 extender range, take your pick, they do pure WIFI and homeplug devices.

Dual-band AC2200 kit is enough to do 4k, streaming Netflix, all the way up to Bluray UHD level, assuming the path is end-to-end AC and the devices are close enough.

Soldato
OP
ignore your internet connection speed, its your internal network that will be the problem, ignore the 2200mpbs speed rating, what is key is the number of bands and antennas.

assuming the signal level is strong enough, what you need is a dual-band AC level AC22000 WIFI extender but it has caveats. Your sending router needs to be at minimum of dual-band AC also, G level kit won't cut it and the distance needs to be close enough otherwise, you are probably back to looking at an upgraded homeplug kit.

I would be looking at the Netgear Nighthawk AC2200 extender range, take your pick, they do pure WIFI and homeplug devices.

Dual-band AC2200 kit is enough to do 4k, streaming Netflix, all the way up to Bluray UHD level, assuming the path is end-to-end AC and the devices are close enough.

Thanks.

My router is just a plain vanilla BT Wi-Fi router. 80Mbps down 20Mbps up.

But like I said using the wifi on the TV it has no issues streaming 4k content from YouTube.

So based on what you've written the Nighthawk Mesh X6S fits the bill.

AC2200 Tri-Band Wireless Signal Booster and Repeater (Upto 2200 Mbps)

Soldato
Streaming 4K is irrelevant, it's a measurement of resolution, not bandwidth, you can have a really low bandwidth 4K stream that's smaller than an SD stream. If you can run a cable, run a cable, if you can't, then run a cable to a central location and install an ap on the end of it, powerline and wireless repeaters are best avoided for a variety of reasons.

Associate
We've just bought a new TV capable of 4k.

The TV has wifi and streaming YouTube in 4k works fine.

However the BT box we have is connected to the router via a powerline adapter and when we try to play HD content it basically telling us there is an issue with your connection.

In other words it ain't fast enough.

What options do we have?

I was hoping there is a product out there I can plug in near the TV which is wireless (connected to router via wireless) and has an ethernet port I can use to plug in the BT TV.

I've also noticed these power line adapters come in different speeds with the fastest one being 1000 Mbps. But will buying something like this really make a difference if it is still using the house electrical system.

Which is pretty old.

---

OK, wirelessly wise I think I have found what I am looking for which is a wifi extender.

What sort of speed do you think the extender needs to support to play 4k content?

There are two I can see one is :

1200Mbps and £40 (100M ethernet)

2200Mbps and around £110 (1Gb ethernet)

We only have an 80Mbps connection so presumably the 1200Mbps and £40 is all we need right?

The funny thing is the description for the 2200Mbps one mentions 4k video but the other one doesn't.

---

So I think the tldr is spec me a wifi extender which is fast enough for streaming 4k content.

I was looking at the Nighthawk Mesh X6S

Netflix says min 24Mbps for 4k but thats a highly compressed stream. Mine steps up to 44Mbps after a few seconds when it goes to the highest quality 4k that Netflix hits.

Bear in mind a 1200Mbps powerline is 600Mbps each way. And thats all reliant on the wiring in your house. Try every combination of mains sockets you can reach, you'll be amazed at the difference using a different socket can make.

Always pair the new powerlines in a double plug side by side before deploying them.

Also don't plug in any chargers or plugs that supply DC current near the powerline at either end, phone chargers etc

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. In the end we went with some BT WiFi discs. We don't have Netflix at the moment but streaming other HD content doesn't seem to have any issues so I believe everything is sorted now.

Back
Top Bottom