New 5.1 opinions?

Man of Honour
Absolutely would like to resolve it.
Thanks

Do some simple tests first to establish the nature of the issue; which could be a fault; an ground loop; or the cable shielding not being that good (regardless of price and the bollix that the manufacturer/retailer claims)

First thing, test for a ground loop (earthing issue) by powering the sub from the same mains sockets as the amp. Try this with your existing subwoofer signal cable and a substitute.If there's no hum with either, then it could be a difference in the earth levels between the mains sockets for the amp and for.the sub''s main home. Solution: buy a ground loop isolator.

If the hum comes back with your existing sub cable, then the shielding isn't good enough. LMK and I'llpoint you in the direction of a sub lead that will kill the external interference.

Where there's still hum in all circumstances, and you get this with the sub'svolume on the 50% setting on the sub's volume control, then have a word with the retailer.

Soldato
I think surround sound or subwoofers are fine in terraced houses or even flats. Just you need to work on volume make sure it's not on loud and make sure the time of day is reasonable i.e Friday or Sat 8pm vs Sunday at 10PM or anyday at 8am.

Associate
OP
Do some simple tests first to establish the nature of the issue; which could be a fault; an ground loop; or the cable shielding not being that good (regardless of price and the bollix that the manufacturer/retailer claims)

First thing, test for a ground loop (earthing issue) by powering the sub from the same mains sockets as the amp. Try this with your existing subwoofer signal cable and a substitute.If there's no hum with either, then it could be a difference in the earth levels between the mains sockets for the amp and for.the sub''s main home. Solution: buy a ground loop isolator.

If the hum comes back with your existing sub cable, then the shielding isn't good enough. LMK and I'llpoint you in the direction of a sub lead that will kill the external interference.

Where there's still hum in all circumstances, and you get this with the sub'svolume on the 50% setting on the sub's volume control, then have a word with the retailer.
OK
First test done,
Replaced the sub cable with a shielded one.
This has improved it a lot, I can still hear a very slight hum, so will continue the testing over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom