• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 5870 - suspect may have been used/opened

Soldato
Looking for peoples experiences here. Got my Saphire 5870 today. No chance to test as still don't have other parts for my build. But I noticed the box it came in wasn't shrink wrapped and one of the seals was peeled away. So box was opened. Anyone experience this with their 5870. Next thing was the accessory box. Everything there I think...2 pci-e-molex adaptor cables in bubble wrap, games dvd, voucher for dirt2, saphire badge, xfire bridge in hard plastic, dvi/vga dongle sealed in plastic, manual and the driver cd. But the envelope was opened and pretty tattered. Plus the CD had a couple of faint hairline scratches on it. Not something you would get from a freshly pressed CD. And to top it all off, the video card was chucked into bubble wrap envelope but not sealed. It looks ok though. Is this normal. Should the thing have been sealed or in some anti static bag. It's obvious someone opened the box and took out the driver CD and used it. That's all I can proove for now and I intend sending OcUK a webnote. But I am interested in hearing if this is par for the course. Has anyone experienced the same. Perphaps I got a card OCUK used to test with, and it was repackaged. Doesn't matter to me really as long as the card works, but I won't know that for a few days at least. A bit anxious I am as after spending 1500 quid on new build and this is the 1st potential hitch.

Soldato
there is no shrink wrap on the boxes and as for the one of the sapphire seals mine was the same one was completely open though i dont think ocuk opened the boxes becuse pritty much my 2nd one was the same

and if your worryed something might be wrong with your cards
then look at my info to reassure you :)

gpuvoltagemsifixed.jpg

Associate
And to top it all off, the video card was chucked into bubble wrap envelope but not sealed. It looks ok though. Is this normal. Should the thing have been sealed or in some anti static bag.
That sounds very suspicious. I've not had a new graphics card that wasn't in an anti-static bag. The rest sounds pretty bad as well. Shame.

Soldato
Sounds similar to me and I doubt mine was used as it was shipped on launch day.

One of the seals on the box was loose.

Mine came in a black anti static bag though (not sealed, no seal on it so I guess it never was), was your bag black?

Soldato
My 4890 didnt have any shrink wrap on it when I got it last week. Just plastic sticker seals on the flaps.

Padded antistatic wasn't sealed either, end was folded over and the whole thing squished into the box.

I think you're looking too far into things.

Associate
Seems to be the norm

Same here I ordered all the parts for my new build which included a Vapour x 4890 from them and it was definetley a used card it has no outer wrapper nor seals on the outer or inner packaging and it smelt of cigarette smoke. The DVD software disc was also missing as I checked several online reviews which listed what should have been in the box.

Their response when I contacted them was 'sorry don't know how that happened' yeah right.:rolleyes:

Worst of all though was the fact that there was no offer for a replacement or compensation. There were also a couple of other issues with the order which I stated and which they chose to just ignore.

I spent a lot of money with them on that order and am very disappointed overall in their service I will probably shop elsewhere now in future.

Although there was a lot of negative reviews about them on the web I thought that they had improved their customer service lately but obviously not.:mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am a bit more reassured now. Yes it was the black, bubblewrap yoke folded over that it was in. Didn't realise it had anti-static properties.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18058055&page=4
post #92 has exact same bag mine is in. It's a saphire.

Looks like the driver CD was the only thing used. Anyway, I shot a webnote off to OCUK, in the even the card does not work I will be getting it replace but of course won't know until I have all my other bits and the PC built.

Last edited:
Soldato
As far im concerned if i buy something new and the packaging has been opened and there is no form of warranty sticker put on by the reseller then back it goes.

The only reason a new item should be opened prior to shipping is to allow a retailer to attach their own warranty mark. In most places this is done without actually opening the seal on the inner bag, but by using a sharp knife to slit a small hole in the bag and poke the sticker through.

Using the serial number off the item is usually sufficient for tracking needs ( ive worked in returns ) so the need to open up seals on items is very rare indeed. Obviously some products may need to be marked as the item itself may not have serial numbers on it.

Im sick of the whole "it got returned under the distance selling regs but its 100% working so its still new" line from retailers.

If an item gets returned and its seals are unbroken then its still new and can be resold as such. If it comes back after someone had took it out and had a fiddle its now used, regardless of the condition of the item itself. The distance selling regulations have made life very annoying for retailers i agree, but thats life... and thats why retailers end up having to do this. They used to be able to charge restocking fees, and still can for orders collected in person and then cancelled.

I can certainly see the retailers side of the arguement, they send a brand new item out to timmy... he get it out and trys it and then decides he doesnt want that one, and bags it all back up ( carefully and makes sure its visually perfect ) and sends it back. The retailer now has to refund, and often take a hit on postage costs, and ends up with whats technically a 2nd hand item AND they are out of pocket into the bargain!.

Now while i simpathise with this, its really not my problem is it? i pay for a NEW item and i expect a NEW item, not timmys cast offs. Thus the well meaning distance selling regs cause untold annoyance to honest retailers.

Last edited:
Associate
Surely once it's opened it's no longer classed as new?

You might aswell buy a 2nd hand one, if someone has already opened a new one you bought.

Or should be a 30% discount:D

Associate
Distance selling regulations dont cover the item being used do they? I had a heatsink from scan that had obviuosly been used as it still had thermal paste on it and there was none in the packing. Annoying for customers but 90% of people dont notice.

Associate
Most probably, the seal was opened to make sure that the card wasn't physically damaged or maybe they even checked it by plugging it in. If they did it for those reasons, then it is a smart move, IMHO

Last edited:
Associate
As far im concerned if i buy something new and the packaging has been opened and there is no form of warranty sticker put on my the reseller then back it goes.

I agree.

Lately, I don't know why, OcUK have sent me items which have been opened and disc's etc etc missing. Naturally, I blew my top on the phone after the second item - which was B grade was sent to me - If you pay for new, that's what you should get.

Listen up OcUK.

Associate
This is weird.

I bought from a different retailer, and sure enough, my Sapphire was definitely used/opened. Both seals opened, driver CD clearly had been used as the envelope was heavily creased and wasn't closed.

I suspect something was done at the Sapphire factory as opposed to any particular retailer. I was/am concerned someone has gone through a bunch cherry picking good samples.

Soldato
Same here I ordered all the parts for my new build which included a Vapour x 4890 from them and it was definetley a used card it has no outer wrapper nor seals on the outer or inner packaging and it smelt of cigarette smoke. The DVD software disc was also missing as I checked several online reviews which listed what should have been in the box.

Their response when I contacted them was 'sorry don't know how that happened' yeah right.:rolleyes:

Worst of all though was the fact that there was no offer for a replacement or compensation. There were also a couple of other issues with the order which I stated and which they chose to just ignore.

I spent a lot of money with them on that order and am very disappointed overall in their service I will probably shop elsewhere now in future.

Although there was a lot of negative reviews about them on the web I thought that they had improved their customer service lately but obviously not.:mad:

Thats terrible, you expect from a £300 card that it would have been untouched and in retail condition..

Basically you have a 2nd hand card there, cos the moment the box has been tempered with, it becomes 2nd hand and the vaule of the card drops,,, I would demand for a replacement or £30+ refund... OCUK PULL UR ACT TOGETHER, cos its bad practice, and you know it:mad:

Soldato
Distance selling regulations dont cover the item being used do they? I had a heatsink from scan that had obviuosly been used as it still had thermal paste on it and there was none in the packing. Annoying for customers but 90% of people dont notice.

The distance selling act covers you even if you don't like the smell of the HSF.

I've had a few sapphire cards lately and all have had the outer boxes sealed. The driver disk and games also had tamper seals.

Sapphire seem to use a anti static bubble wrap to pack the card. Is this what you mean ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom