New 74GB WD Raptor (WD740ADFD)

Associate
Looks like WD have released the 74GB equivalent of their amazing 150GB Raptors. The 74GB drive, WD740ADFD, is a native NCQ design from the ground up, which no longer relies on the Marvell bridge chip.

Performance seems to be equivalent to, or better than, the 150GB (according to the benchies posted on link) and naturally, the old 74GB version (740GD). Average read much faster than the 740GD, and even faster than the 1500ADFD. Desktop benchmark also faster than the 1500ADFD :eek:

Read the review here, alas only in Dutch so either use Babelfish or do what I did, and only skim at the benchmarks :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Nice. I wanted the speed of the new 150 but not at the expense of it. I dont need 150gb when I have a 1tb file server.

Does anyone know when there going to be availible and at what cost?

Soldato
Very nice. I was a bit dissapointed at the fact that the Raptor was being made bigger, as I only use it for windows. But its nice to know that they are continuing to add new technology to the lower capacity drives. I just have my fingers crossed that they do the same to the 36gb drive now :)

Soldato
messiah khan said:
Very nice. I was a bit dissapointed at the fact that the Raptor was being made bigger, as I only use it for windows. But its nice to know that they are continuing to add new technology to the lower capacity drives. I just have my fingers crossed that they do the same to the 36gb drive now :)
as far as i know they've stopped manufacturing and stopped work on the 36GB drives. they want to focus mainly on the 74/150GB versions.

Soldato
Boo hiss! I'll have to save up for a SCSI setup then

i have 2 normal 74gb raptors, and frankly i don't see that much improvement for me to sell them and get the new pair. Now my next move is definitely 15krpm SCSI drives, 2x36gb.

Associate
jhmaeng said:
Looks like WD have released the 74GB equivalent of their amazing 150GB Raptors. The 74GB drive, WD740ADFD, is a native NCQ design from the ground up, which no longer relies on the Marvell bridge chip.

Performance seems to be equivalent to, or better than, the 150GB (according to the benchies posted on link) and naturally, the old 74GB version (740GD). Average read much faster than the 740GD, and even faster than the 1500ADFD. Desktop benchmark also faster than the 1500ADFD :eek:

Read the review here, alas only in Dutch so either use Babelfish or do what I did, and only skim at the benchmarks :)

oh i soooo need one of them

Soldato
jhmaeng said:
The only place I saw it listed (albeit out of stock) had it for around £15-20 more than the previous version.

It hasn't even been released yet. WD haven't even released it in the States yet or issued it a price in $. If other e-tailers are selling this for £15-20 more then they are just taking a guess. My feelings is the current version will actaully dissapear and then the new one will be around a tenner more. Until it is released officially in the States, no pricing is remotely accurate.

Back
Top Bottom