New American style Fridge Freezer needed

Soldato
One added benefit that I hadn't factored in is that I now save money from my ice addiction having the plumbed in FF with ice maker. I used to spend on average £2-3 a week on ice, so the FF should pay for itself in 7-8yrs!........ :D

Soldato
If you have the space and if you need the room, I believe it was the Samsung RR35H61657F stainless larder fridge (John Lewis) that you could also get the matching freezer and they sell a joining strip so you end up with two full size units and costs less than some American-style. Trouble I find with American-style is you lose a great deal of internal storage space due to the water or ice dispenser(s).

Permabanned
If you have the space and if you need the room, I believe it was the Samsung RR35H61657F stainless larder fridge (John Lewis) that you could also get the matching freezer and they sell a joining strip so you end up with two full size units and costs less than some American-style. Trouble I find with American-style is you lose a great deal of internal storage space due to the water or ice dispenser(s).

Not lost any space on ours as we didn't want either of those. :p Just something else that needs cleaning/will get manky, plus we have a tap in the kitchen already.

Soldato
When I move into my house at the end of the year I'm looking at getting a Samsung American Fridge Freezer, had a regular fridge freezer by them when I lived in my last house as well.

Soldato
This is a rather sad indicator of my ambition, but once I consider getting an American style fridge freezer that is plumbed in and makes ice as one of the indicators that I've 'made it' !

Soldato
Trouble I find with American-style is you lose a great deal of internal storage space due to the water or ice dispenser(s).

This is why we chose the Deawoo, the amount of room taken up by the water/ice dispenser meant that the others weren't much bigger than the freezer you get in a normal fridge freezer combo

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You only lose freezer space (does anyone really use much space in their freezer?), and the ice maker / water are awesome :p

Soldato
We have a Samsung side-by-side in the garage and a Maytag French door in the kitchen. Samsung is about 6 years old and has had a few issues freezing up when it's not used (we went on holiday for 2 weeks and the fridge temp wouldn't drop, same now it's in the garage) but just turn it off and leave the door for a day and it sorts itself out.

I definitely prefer the French door style over the side-by-side. The layout is just a lot better for us.

Soldato
This is a rather sad indicator of my ambition, but once I consider getting an American style fridge freezer that is plumbed in and makes ice as one of the indicators that I've 'made it' !

So I thought, but the lads at work also reckoned you needed an island unit in the kitchen too, thankfully I got both with my new extension so I have officially 'made it'....

Soldato

Whenever I mention getting a fridge/freezer with an ice marker/water dispenser people act shocked and go "but they need plumbed in though!?" as if it's the hardest task in the world to run a length of pipe under a kickboard and plug it onto an adaptor under the sink.

Soldato
Whenever I mention getting a fridge/freezer with an ice marker/water dispenser people act shocked and go "but they need plumbed in though!?" as if it's the hardest task in the world to run a length of pipe under a kickboard and plug it onto an adaptor under the sink.

Actually depends where your fridge will be located in relation to the water source, not everyone can hide it behind kickboards.

Soldato
Samsung G-Series RFG23UEBP here - only had it a few months but it's quiet, seems very good at cooling different parts to different temps. The pull out freezer draw is awesome.

Had a Daewoo for about 6 years before this one it was fine.

Associate
We bought a Fridgemaster american style fridge freezer (made by Hisense) last week for £385 which i spotted on Hot UK deals. The thing is massive and looks fantastic. Cost us a fortune to fill it, lol.

Soldato
a couple of questions on the american style :

- is there some cleaning regime you have to use to for ice cube system (ice cubes in trays in regular freezer can taste stale if you do not use them promptly so you have to turn them over regularly)
- is there anything that helps ensure door closure ? - at least once a month can cram some stuff in, and do not then notice, sometimes an hour later, that door was still a jar, because stuff blocked complete closure.

(Also saw JL Samsungs now seem to have 2+3 year guarantee offer)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
My Samsung bleeps like mad after a few minutes of the door not being closed, so the door thing would never be an issue.

We always Use the ice to never cleaned that, but it is very easy to just pull the ice hopper out and throw it all in the sink if you wanted to do that...

Permabanned
a couple of questions on the american style :

- is there some cleaning regime you have to use to for ice cube system (ice cubes in trays in regular freezer can taste stale if you do not use them promptly so you have to turn them over regularly)
- is there anything that helps ensure door closure ? - at least once a month can cram some stuff in, and do not then notice, sometimes an hour later, that door was still a jar, because stuff blocked complete closure.

(Also saw JL Samsungs now seem to have 2+3 year guarantee offer)

Modern ones beep if you leave the door open too long(ours does anyway).
Also has wine chill timers for the freezer and all sorts of other fancy gubbins. :)

Soldato
My Samsung bleeps like mad after a few minutes of the door not being closed, so the door thing would never be an issue.

We always Use the ice to never cleaned that, but it is very easy to just pull the ice hopper out and throw it all in the sink if you wanted to do that...

x2

Back
Top Bottom