new Amp

Associate
I have Monitor Audio Bronze BX 7.1 speaker setup and my current amp (Onkyo) has died.

the budget is 500 and I thinking Sony STR-DN1050 will be ideal coming in at 449. Unless anyone can suggest a better amp at that price?

Soldato
Yeah another vote for a yamaha amp :D currently have a yamaha RX-767 and its fantastic :D

Never had a sony amp before so cant comment sorry:p

Soldato
When i was in RS last week they said they had a lot of Sony DNR 1050 coming back with faults that needed repairing. Onkyo 636 were much less so. I ended up with a 636 with a fair bit of haggling in the end. Very happy with it

Soldato
Hmm have had two Onkyo in the past and both broke down eventually.

The front display went on one and them the HDMI failed on another:rolleyes:

Its not to say they are not good amps its just the reliability of them i question.

Soldato
Never had a sony amp before so cant comment sorry:p

When i was in RS last week they said they had a lot of Sony DNR 1050 coming back with faults that needed repairing.

I've owned 2. The 1st had to be repaired twice before I sold it & the buyer had to get it repaired too. The 2nd one was OK. AFAIK it's still going after 15 years as I sold it to my dad's mate.

I had a old Pioneer Receiver that had something go pop on it some years ago & it was OK after repair.

I've owned in total:

1 Marantz AV processor
2 Pioneers
A Sherwood (Six months was the shortest)
2 Sonys
& a Denon Which I still have, I think its the longest I've owned an AV Receiver.

I would like to buy another AV Receiver with more HDMI sockets & the ability to control it with a phone or tablet app. Trouble is, the silver models are a tad too expensive for my budget & the one I have doesn't get enough use to justify buying a new one.

Back
Top Bottom