New amplifier. Onkyo SR-606 replacement

Associate
The HDMI switcher on my Onkyo SR-606 has broken again, I originally bought it in 2008 and it broke in 2011.
I got a friend to solder the new HDMI switcher into place but I’m not messing about again, it’s time for a change.

I’m not bothered about anything really high quality, it’s being used on a Sony KDL-52W-4000 from 2008 still until we buy a fairly cheap 4K panel for down here soon.

We use the Onkyo amp as HDMI hub with my Xbox one, Steam Link and Retropie all connected then only one HDMI to the tv, so I’m looking for something that can do the same but with HDMI 2.0 so when I get a PS4 pro and 4K tv it’s all future proofed.

The speakers connected to it are an Acoustic Energy 5.1 set I bought, not sure of the model numbers but they’re big and we’re expensive at the time.

Anyone got any cheap recommendations for an amp? I didn’t really want to spend another £300-400 on an amp

Associate
OP
As a short term fix I’ve ordered a digital optical cable, going to plug the 3 devices I use straight into tv using HDMI then output to the Amp using Digital Optical which I assume will still work?
I only really watch Netflix/prime/plex on the Xbox, no Blu-rays Etc anymore so not having DTS-MA or Dolby HD doesn’t bother me anymore

Man of Honour
Connecting all to the TV's HDMI inputs, then going out via the Optical to the Onkyo is a simple solution. However, there's an important limitation, and it's more than just losing Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA.

Your Sony TV only passes basic stereo PCM audio from its HDMI inputs to the Optical out.

This info is tucked away in part of the specs in the user manual. The pdf of the manual won't allow copy and paste, so I can't give you the text word-for-word, but it's something along the lines of "Dolby Digital or PCM from DVB tuner depending on broadcast. PCM from all other sources."

When it comes to Optical, PCM means a maximum of 2 channel stereo only. There's no PCM equivalent of Bitstream 5.1 DD/DTS because that's more signal than the Optical sockets can pass. This means your amp will default to Dolby ProLogic II decoding. You'll get a version of surround, and if the audio from the sources is set to 'mix down to surround ' (or words to that effect) then the surround effect will be clearer than if the amp uses ProLogic II to invent the centre and surround channels. It won't be as clear as DD or DTS though.

Cheaper amps than your £400 Onkyo, but with HDMI 2.0 are available. There are 5.1 channel amps in the £150-£250 price range that will work. Personally though, I think you can do better and still keep the budget under the £200.

If you're quick, there's a Yamaha RX-V677 for sale on AV Forums (click link). Power-wise, this is a more modern equivalent of amps equal to your 606. However, it does HDMI 2.0 and has ARC too. It also has a lot of additional refinements such as app control that were's available on mid 2000s age amps. It think you'd really enjoy the sound it makes and the extra convenience features too. The price is £150 + delivery.

For similar sorts of money new, you could choose from Yamaha, Pioneer and Denon to name a few. They're all around the 60-70W per channel in stereo mode which doesn't seem to be that far off the 2x 90W of your Onkyo or the Yamaha 677, but in practise you'd hear its limitations even at modest volumes as a reduction on scale of the sound. IMO, the second-hand amp makes a far better short-term and long-term buy.

Associate
Did you replace the hdmi board before or solder new capacitors on? I did the latter on mine and it fixed it nicely (although went and got a Denon 2400 for the tv setup soon after!). Really wasn't hard if you follow the youtube guides.

Associate
OP
Did you replace the hdmi board before or solder new capacitors on? I did the latter on mine and it fixed it nicely (although went and got a Denon 2400 for the tv setup soon after!). Really wasn't hard if you follow the youtube guides.

TBH i forget, we found the guide on youtube and ordered the parts from maplin, then my mate soldered it (i cant solder for crap lol)

Associate
OP
Connecting all to the TV's HDMI inputs, then going out via the Optical to the Onkyo is a simple solution. However, there's an important limitation, and it's more than just losing Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA.

Your Sony TV only passes basic stereo PCM audio from its HDMI inputs to the Optical out.

This info is tucked away in part of the specs in the user manual. The pdf of the manual won't allow copy and paste, so I can't give you the text word-for-word, but it's something along the lines of "Dolby Digital or PCM from DVB tuner depending on broadcast. PCM from all other sources."

When it comes to Optical, PCM means a maximum of 2 channel stereo only. There's no PCM equivalent of Bitstream 5.1 DD/DTS because that's more signal than the Optical sockets can pass. This means your amp will default to Dolby ProLogic II decoding. You'll get a version of surround, and if the audio from the sources is set to 'mix down to surround ' (or words to that effect) then the surround effect will be clearer than if the amp uses ProLogic II to invent the centre and surround channels. It won't be as clear as DD or DTS though.

Cheaper amps than your £400 Onkyo, but with HDMI 2.0 are available. There are 5.1 channel amps in the £150-£250 price range that will work. Personally though, I think you can do better and still keep the budget under the £200.

If you're quick, there's a Yamaha RX-V677 for sale on AV Forums (click link). Power-wise, this is a more modern equivalent of amps equal to your 606. However, it does HDMI 2.0 and has ARC too. It also has a lot of additional refinements such as app control that were's available on mid 2000s age amps. It think you'd really enjoy the sound it makes and the extra convenience features too. The price is £150 + delivery.

For similar sorts of money new, you could choose from Yamaha, Pioneer and Denon to name a few. They're all around the 60-70W per channel in stereo mode which doesn't seem to be that far off the 2x 90W of your Onkyo or the Yamaha 677, but in practise you'd hear its limitations even at modest volumes as a reduction on scale of the sound. IMO, the second-hand amp makes a far better short-term and long-term buy.

Realised about the stereo only output from the tv after posting so i think im just going to plug in the xbox by hdmi to the tv and digital optical to the amp, then move my Retropie upstairs to my bedroom.
Xbox does everything we need it for currently so thats a decent short term fix for now.
Steam link doesn't have digital optical out so my only option is to plug into tv and use stereo from the tv, the performance of them is terrible on wifi and thats the only tv with ethernet.
Car broke down last night so think a new amp is going to have to go on the back burner till after xmas sadly :(

Associate
i chucked my old 606 in the bin in the end coz of the hdmi board...i did replace the capacitors once and it was fine but then it started again so i just used it till it would not work, ive borrowed my brothers yamaha amp for now.....ill prob go with a denon when i decide to upgrade/ give my brother his back

Associate
OP
i chucked my old 606 in the bin in the end coz of the hdmi board...i did replace the capacitors once and it was fine but then it started again so i just used it till it would not work, ive borrowed my brothers yamaha amp for now.....ill prob go with a denon when i decide to upgrade/ give my brother his back

I’ve taken everything off the tv except for the Xbox one, done that hdmi>tv and digital optical>amp so bypassing the hdmi switcher.
Really trying to avoid upgrading the amp now lol

Back
Top Bottom