New battery, won't start [video]

Soldato
Tl;dr.... What appears to be happening in the video? ( sorry for signal interference sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y92JrXXncEQ

Longer story....bought the moped with a dead battery but it kick started okayish. Once it had run a bit you could restart it with the starter motor immediately but it would need a kick start by the next day. Nevertheless the engine made a clicking noise when running so it went to the garage.

Garage said it's knackered and needs the bottom end to be rebuilt. I thought I may challenge myself to fix it even if that would be uneconomical. Once back from the garage it wouldn't even kick start for me to listen to the engine again. So I got a new battery to see if starter motor could get it going. New battery did nothing, so I charged it to 12.5v for good measure and now it is doing something but only what's in the video. My multimeter suggsts the battery is down to 10.5v straight away so maybe it's a rubbish battery and I should try again? However, my multimeter has broken just now so I don't know if I should trust it ...sigh. If someone can at least suggest if the battery is naff or its a broken starter motor...or if the engine has perhaps seized causing this issue then it'd be hugely appreciated

Last edited:
Soldato
To me, the vid suggests there is not enough change in the battery to power the starter motor properly.....however if the engine has fallen apart it could be obstructed.

Bottom end going isn't a good one to start on from what I've been told. I had this happen to my SV650 and was advised it was quicker and easier and possibly cheaper to just drop the engine out and replace it - which is what I did in the end

Soldato
OP
Thanks, i'm slightly tempted to get a new battery again to see if this "New one" is a bit naff...

May be easier to take starter motor out and test it on its own....will see if i can sell the thing for spares or parts first

Soldato
OP
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-XS-0-8-12V-1-2A/dp/B004RADNCQ

Priceless. Can be used for maintaining car batteries too

Yeah used that on the new battery to make sure it was charged. Multimeter suggested it was only 10.5v, but the video is after I charged it to 12.5, i suspect it was just surface charge. Either way, i think its the start motor struggling to turn over a half seized engine. I'm selling the moped as spares / parts but if it doesn't sell i will dismantle it and log everything i do / find in here

Back
Top Bottom