1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bike Time - KTM 1290 Superduke R Special Edition

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by AndyCr15, Oct 12, 2016.

1. TallPaul_S

Soldato

Ahh yeah, I suppose it gets confused easily as to which road you're on when it loses a satellite or 2. :(

As for GPS position, here's where mine will be - I did think about mounting it above the clocks as I'll have a bigger screen for touring but it's not easy to mount it there. Higher is better if you can do it, as you don't have to look down as much.

[​IMG]

Mine is all wired in with a relay under the pillion seat so it powers off with the ignition.

2. AndyCr15

Capodecina

I think you're overestimating its influence on the speed I would take a corner at. I also think you're overestimating the speed I take corners at. Me personally anyway. I just like to know what's coming up.

3. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

All I'm saying is be careful and don't rely too much on the GPS to tell you what's up ahead.

It's directed at everyone.

4. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Whilst we're ont eh subject. Are TomTom rider's worth the expense?

5. Craig321

Capodecina

Yes, but only the v5. 400 is apparently rubbish.

For me it isn't, I just use the RAM X grip with TomTom/Waze/Google Maps on my phone.

6. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

The new one annoys me as the interface was designed by Ray Charles.

7. misterjingo

Wise Guy

I've got a tomtom 400 and it's great when it works. It's totally water proof, well made, and is great when paired with a headset.

I have had issues with it though. Sometimes it refuses to flip the screen when you rotate the device. I recently used it for a 300+ mile ride out. Around 200 miles it, it turned off. Power connections were fine. I tried to turn it back on around 20 times, but it would repeated crash.

I had to find my own way home and factory reset it to "fix" it.

I'm a bit worried about taking it for longer trips due to this weird crashing issue.

8. tom_e

Man of Honour

I had that happen when I first got mine, think it was due to a funny update.

It's never happened again in over a year and 1k miles of use later after I done a restore.

9. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

That's just one of the many issues I had when I tried one. I went back to the reliable V5.

10. TallPaul_S

Soldato

I've had the stuck in orientation issue once or twice, I never use it in portrait mode so just turned off autorotate.

Other than that, the only issue I've had (including using it in the pouring rain and for 5 days solid, 1200 miles) was that it decided to give me the miles/time to the next waypoint rather than the final destination, which was solved by a reboot.

Phones are fine for getting from A to B but you can't beat being able to precisely map out a 1000 mile route on exactly the roads you want to ride.

11. Sin_Chase

Capodecina

I had the same issue with rotation, would randomly swap to portrait mode when it was locked into landscape orientation if you went over a bump or something. Disabled it.

12. AndyCr15

Capodecina

I got an email from TomTom this morning, some of their gear on sale, so I thought I'd see what their bike option is at the moment. Made me chuckle a little bit when I read -

Made me chuckle a little :)

13. Freeman

Soldato

But you can use sat nav to prepare for bends; I don't know where the myth came from that says you can't. It's not dangerous unless your a complete and utter div.

If the sat nav is wrong and says there's a left coming up when in fact it's a right, you don't turn your bike left do you? You assess the road up ahead with your eyes and then take action.

A sat nav is extremely useful and should be used as one of the ways to assess the road up ahead; especially if you do not know that road. If I need to use the sat nav then I take full of advantage of being able to see 500m up the road, who wouldn't! I have the V5 and have never had an serious problems. Dropped it a fair few times as well :)

14. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Sorry, I didn't mean to start it back up again, lets not. Just thought the timing was kinda funny from the conversation here :)

15. Freeman

Soldato

It is funny because I can imagine some dumbass blindly following a sat nav and blaming his crash on it because he went left when the road bent to the right.

I always see a sat nav as a rough guide that should never be followed fully.

16. MowyTone

Mobster

Maps, memory and road signs. Only ever used a sat nav twice I think

17. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Agreed. But that's just natural selection.

Anyway, collected the bike this morning :) :D :)

Google wanted to stylise things...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it was a little wet on the ride over, which meant I was riding home through a lot of spray, I left it in Rain mode and the bike is a little dirty already... :( I think the afternoon looks nice, I'll perhaps wash it already and take a few detail shots with a decent camera.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  18. tom_e

Man of Honour

You mean like those special people that follow them straight off the ends of harbours and things? :D

19. unKle

Wise Guy

Very nice. I hope you got your orange KTM pen and sticker in that folder too ;)

20. AndyCr15

Capodecina

I got the pen, not seen the sticker yet.

So, went to the gym on it, panicked the whole time I was in there as it wasn't locked to anything, then came home and gave it a quick sprinkle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the minute I'm not minding the satnav mount. It doesn't stick out on the bike as much as I thought and is really well positioned when using it.

The insurance bump was a bit of a sting. 8 months left, I had paid around £320 for the year, had to oay £575 more! Will obviously shop around when due next. Strangly, I initially insured it with no immobiliser (I didn't know for sure it had one) and when I Called to add it, the price would come down £125, but my excess would leap from £500 to £2,000! I've left it for the minute.

Any thoughts on the best disc lock to get (I know they are only a minor deterrent) and perhaps a tracker?