New Build - £1,000+

Soldato
At the moment I've got a slightly aging system with the following:

2700K @ 4.5 GHz
8 GB DDR3
GTX 970
64 GB M4 boot SDD

The PC still works very well, but is starting to show its age in some of the latest games. I could just drop in a new GPU and some more RAM, but if I was going to go down that route I'd likely rather just do a full system upgrade.

So what do you all recommend for a new system at the moment? I was thinking along the lines of getting a new CPU/board/RAM now and then a new GPU a little further down the line? Budget is pretty flexible, I'm happy to pay more for what is worth it, but obviously the lower the better.

So my general thoughts were:

R7 1700 and clock to ~4 GHz
~£150 motherboard with decent overclocking
256 GB M2 NVME SSD for boot drive
16 GB 3,200 MHz DDR4

I won't need storage drives, PSU, case, optical drives, monitor, OS, mouse, etc. Only the main hardware.

So what does OcUK think?

Soldato
OP
Case is an older ATX one, but one I'm happy to keep. PSU is a 850W XFX black edition modular, monitors are two BenQ 1080p ones (one is 120 Hz, but I'm not hugely fussed about >60 FPS), drives are a 64 GB crucial M4, 512 GB Crucial MX, and a couple of HDD storage drives.

Soldato
OP
As far as I know it's happy with pretty much any length, there's a lot of space in there. It had no issue with my old GTX 580, with plenty of space left over.

I'll be able to double check later, but for now it's probably safe to assume it won't be limited for any long cards.

Thanks for the help!

Caporegime
Soldato
OP
Looks good, thanks!

I think I'll probably swap the 1600 out for a 1700 for the extra cores, as I tend to keep the CPU for a while, and I think the extra cores will be worthwhile to see a decent increase over the 2700K.

Is the Ryzen stock cooler up to the job at ~4 GHz, or is it worth going for an aftermarket one? Budget is flexible to include one if it's worthwhile, as a quiet machine is a bonus!

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom