New build ~£1k

Associate
Hi, I'm looking for advice on a new system build, mainly for racing simulators (Assetto Corsa/Project Cars 2) and general office use. I've been out of PC building for so long that I don't know what's current at the moment. I've had a look around other threads on here, but I'm not confident that I've found what I need - AMD seems to be recommended a lot at the moment?

From my current system I would only want to carry over my 250GB SSD - already partitioned with Windows (not sure if I can transfer it to the new build?) and I have a NAS setup - I don't tend to fill the PC drive up with much junk so not sure if extra storage would be required?

I have keyboard/mouse and an old and small but usable monitor. At some point in the future I will want to replace the monitor.

My budget is £1k for the basic system, although if it could include a monitor it would be nice, but not essential. Probably look to get the system pre-built.

Any suggestions?

Associate
Hi, I'm looking for advice on a new system build, mainly for racing simulators (Assetto Corsa/Project Cars 2) and general office use. I've been out of PC building for so long that I don't know what's current at the moment. I've had a look around other threads on here, but I'm not confident that I've found what I need - AMD seems to be recommended a lot at the moment?

From my current system I would only want to carry over my 250GB SSD - already partitioned with Windows (not sure if I can transfer it to the new build?) and I have a NAS setup - I don't tend to fill the PC drive up with much junk so not sure if extra storage would be required?

I have keyboard/mouse and an old and small but usable monitor. At some point in the future I will want to replace the monitor.

My budget is £1k for the basic system, although if it could include a monitor it would be nice, but not essential. Probably look to get the system pre-built.

Any suggestions?
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,419.98 (includes shipping: £23.10)

That pre-built currently offers unbeatable value for money - buying the parts separately costs more (so it's a great deal).

For the monitor, you could get a 21:9 Ultrawide monitor - which would be great for general office use and driving games (more immersion). The LG I included uses an IPS panel, so has good viewing angles and colour accuracy.

Or, you could get a regular monitor 16:9 monitor with a 144hz refresh rate - better for fast paced games where your fps is very high, but not quite so good for general office use. The AOC monitor is a TN panel - so okay colour a

Associate
Thanks for the quick reply. I'd initially considered that AMD Pre-built package, but also read that the case and PSU might not be the best https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/amd-black-friday-deal.18837378/ .

Confused or am I just worrying about nothing!
I agree that the original PSU and case aren't that great. The replacement PSU/case in other thread are good choices - but it would push you further over budget (adds ~£70). It depends how tight your budget must be.

The system does come with a 3-year warranty, and the PSU shouldn't fail that easily - I doubt OCuk would sell a system with that PSU if they knew it would have a high failure rate (would cost them too much).

Last edited:
Soldato
You can always sell the three free games to claw a bit of money back if you upgrade the psu/case. A Bitfenix Formula and Fractal Design Focus G case is another cheaper alternative.

The case is also available in Black, but out of stock at the moment. A 550W will handle an R5 2600 and RX590.

Total: £128.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Soldato
if your doing racing sim, Ultra wide screen . makes more sense if you havent got VR head set , also adds more pixels for GPU to work a little harder then the CPU

ryzen 1600x + vega 56+ freesync ultra wide

Total: £1,065.09 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

could also push 1440p 144hz 27" TN monitor for same price .
move current SSD over

Back
Top Bottom