New build advice/ help

Associate
Hi I'm planning to build a new computer for use for Gaming and Multimedia usage like Ultra 4k playback etc. I'll be buy most of hardware for my new build. I'm buying the main components to get my new system up and running.

Once I've got my new system build and up and running, I'll be planning to save up and get myself either one of the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 or 4090 series Graphics Cards.

Right now, I'll either be using my old card which is a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 if that card will work in my new system? Or would me using the built-in GPU from the Intel Core i9-14900K be a better option than my old Graphics Card for now until I save the required money for my new Graphics Card? Also what PSU would be recommended for my new build, baring in mind I'll be upgrading to the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 or 4090 series Cards and I also intend to overclock the system as well so I'll need a PSU that's going to have enough power for the system even when I overclock the max out of it.

Also what's the best Thermal Paste I should get for the CPU?

Thanks for any suggestions/ recommendations.

The list of hardware components I've got below is what I'm going to buy so far to get the build up and running.

Hardware for my new system:

Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB Tempered Glass Full Tower Smart Case - Black (CC-9011226-WW)

MSI MEG CORELIQUID S360 ARGB Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - 360mm

Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Apex Encore (LGA 1700) DDR5 ATX Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB XMP 48GB (2x24GB) DDR5 PC5-62000C40 8400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Bl

Intel Core i9-14900K (Raptor Lake-S) Socket LGA1700 Processor - Retail

Right now, I'll either be using my old card which is a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 if that card will work in my new system? Or would me using the built-in GPU from the Intel Core i9-14900K be a better option than my old Graphics Card for now until I save the required money for my new Graphics Card?
The 1080 is waaaaaaaaay better @ gaming than the integrated, they're not even close.

The list of hardware components I've got below is what I'm going to buy so far to get the build up and running.
What kind of gaming are you doing exactly? What overclock do you plan on? Do you play at low resolutions/settings? For an average gamer you're way overspending (like you could save nearly 1K and notice almost no loss in performance)

Last edited:
Hi I'm planning to build a new computer for use for Gaming and Multimedia usage like Ultra 4k playback etc. I'll be buy most of hardware for my new build. I'm buying the main components to get my new system up and running.
multimedia 4k palyback isn't going to require much, so unless you're actually editing 4k/8k streams, then a 7800x3d would be a much better bet, as it's gaming that is the primary use....again, doesn't require huge cooling either as not a power hog...depending how quick you want it you could wait for the 9000 series to launch end of Jul and check prices..talk is the 9800x3d will be here sep/oct time also from latest rumours

Hi guys I've been out of the PC scene for a few years now so I'm out of touch on the modern technology hardware. I've had a Google around now which i should have done before making the topic, and come to the conclusion that as far as I've read, Intel Socket LGA1700 is dead and Intels latest CPUs for this socket are fast but they don't overclock well at all also as I was going to go the LGA1700 and Core i9-14900k route means there's no upgradability there as this socket is dead. For me it's probably better me waiting it out a few months more see what's available. I've herd about Intel Arrow Lake and also a member just mentioned about AMDs new 9800x3d will be here soon as well so all in all I'm best waiting the now. It's not long before the end of the year so I might as well wait.

and come to the conclusion that as far as I've read, Intel Socket LGA1700 is dead
There are rumours that Intel will release another CPU on this socket (Bartlett Lake), but I've seen no official confirmation and I'd be very surprised if it was something worth buying for any 13th/14th gen owners.

but they don't overclock well at all
There is still some room for overclocking for anyone super keen on it, but for the average user/gamer overclocking is dead. These CPUs are run ragged out of the box and undervolting/efficiency tuning is far more popular nowadays. I definitely would not buy a dedicated OC motherboard (like the Apex) and extreme OC ram for a gaming PC anymore, you'll get little meaningful value out of that purchase in terms of performance.

Last edited:
Some good advice here. I'd be waiting on the new AMD CPU's now. I've bought high end motherboards before, nice to have but unnecessary. A good midrange will do everything you need, assuming it has all the connections you need. A decent AMD CPU and throw the money at a 4090 and still save cash.

Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
Thermalright Assassin Spirit V2 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Western Digital Blue SN580 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 7900 GRE 16 GB Video Card
Deepcool MATREXX 40 3FS MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Corsair CX (2023) 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Back
Top Bottom