New build advise needed on PSU + Cooling setup (Lian Li O-11 Dynamic)

Associate
About to put together my new build in my Lian Li 011 Dynamic and was wondering if there are any members who have experience with this build and with the new GPU/CPU's.

Current parts:

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
MB: Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
CPU Cooler: Kraken x73 360mm Radiator
GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra (Arrived without the ugly red clown shroud :D )
RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz CL14 (Current RAM I'm bringing into new build hoping to OC to 3600 CL16)
Cooling: Corsair QL120 x3 fan
Storage: 2x Samsung 1TB PCIE Gen 4 980 PRO
PSU: Sea-sonic 760W Platinum modular PSU (Current PSU)

Questions:
1. Will 760W be enough to run the 5900x + 3080 or should I upgrade the PSU? Also I want to keep my current build to give away to a friend and what budget (preferably modular) PSU would you members recommend for a 1080TI + Ryzen 1600?
2. Fan setup I'm planning 3 intake fans on the side no fans on the bottom and 3 exhaust on top on the Kraken radiator, will 3 fans be enough or should I get 3 more intake fans on the bottom as well?
3. How likely will I be to be able to OC my current RAM (3200Mhz CL14 samsung B-Die G.Skill) to 3600Mhz on the Aorus Master or should I get a new 3600Mhz kit instead?
4. Should I be able to run my M.2 as PCIE gen 4 in raid 0?
5. How to eliminate GPU sag? Just opened the 3080 and I didn't quite realise how big and heavy the card is so a little worried about GPU sag. Decided not to go for a vertical mount cause I need access to my other PCIE slots for expansion cards.

Any/all tips and criticism are very welcome :)

Soldato
1. You should get away with it. Budget PSU:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £93.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

2. I run 3 side intake fans & one on the air cooler in my 011D. I'm not running a 5900x though (3600) so I'd go for it.

3. Dunno until you try. Isn't B die ram good for overclocking?

4. RAID 0 is doable but no idea if its PCI 3 or 4. I avoid Raid setups these days, I got my fingers burned many years ago. Isn't PCIE 4 fast enough?

5. try this:

Soldato
1/also consider
Total: £241.03 (includes shipping: £11.10)

2/I run 3 intake on the side, none on the bottom and only 2 up top and have no issues. Positive pressure.

3/Download ryzen dram calculator and run that to see how your ram can run at 3600mhz.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

I have 8-pack 3200 cl14 and run it happily at 3600 cl 15/16/16 1.4 volts. Im sure I can tweak it lower with the suggestions on ryzen dram but havent bothered atm.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Er, no. The OP has a Seasonic 760 which he is going to keep for the 3080. The 550 watter is for his old parts, R5 1600 & 1080ti.

apologies my bad. no idea why that second question didn't sink in, brain fart moment.

Associate
OP
1. You should get away with it. Budget PSU:

Total: £93.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

2. I run 3 side intake fans & one on the air cooler in my 011D. I'm not running a 5900x though (3600) so I'd go for it.

3. Dunno until you try. Isn't B die ram good for overclocking?

4. RAID 0 is doable but no idea if its PCI 3 or 4. I avoid Raid setups these days, I got my fingers burned many years ago. Isn't PCIE 4 fast enough?

5. try this:

Thanks for your reply,

I'm glad to hear cooling should be sufficient as I didn't want to spend another £120 on 3 additional fans for the bottom and was worried about the clearance between bottom fans blowing straight into the GPU cooler.

Any reason why you avoid Raid setups? My understanding was it's a good safeguard against data corruption and that was the main reason I did it on my current system.

Associate
OP
1/also consider

2/I run 3 intake on the side, none on the bottom and only 2 up top and have no issues. Positive pressure.
1/also consider

3/Download ryzen dram calculator and run that to see how your ram can run at 3600mhz.

I have 8-pack 3200 cl14 and run it happily at 3600 cl 15/16/16 1.4 volts. Im sure I can tweak it lower with the suggestions on ryzen dram but havent bothered atm.

Thanks Ill order one of those PSU's for my current build and carry over my current PSU.

Good to hear about cooling I will try to configure the fans in a way where I will create a positive pressure to keep dust out once it's all setup :)

Thanks for the calculation tool, didn't know it existed! Very helpful, and it fills me with confidence you managed to get yours running at 3600Mhz by relaxing timings, good thing I spend the extra on quality RAM when I build my first Ryzen system as it saves me a couple of hundred £'s.

Soldato
Thanks for your reply,

Any reason why you avoid Raid setups? My understanding was it's a good safeguard against data corruption and that was the main reason I did it on my current system.

In that case you want RAID 1 not 0. RAID 0 is Striping where your data is spread across one or more drives (an Array) the OS sees the array as one drive. Lose one drive in the array & you lose all files & the OS. Frequent backups are required.

Raid 1 is mirroring. identical data is written to 2 or more drives, if one drive fails then replace the failed drive & rebuild the array.

I had a RAID 0 setup about 15 years ago to try to increase loading times for apps & the OS. Didn't make much difference & the motherboard failed. I bought an identical board thinking the array would work & it didn't. I didn't have a recent backup so I lost some photos as a result. lesson learned. Since the arrival of SSD's loading times have no longer been a problem.

Back
Top Bottom