New build assistance

Associate
OP
So would you suggest ordering the RX570 over the 1060? Am I likely to benefit from the 1060 using this monitor and if not, would it not make sense to buy a different monitor? Is the sole benefit to Samsung curve the refresh rate, how much of a difference am I really going to see if lets say I buy a monitor with a refresh rate of 75hz for example?

Associate
So would you suggest ordering the RX570 over the 1060? Am I likely to benefit from the 1060 using this monitor and if not, would it not make sense to buy a different monitor? Is the sole benefit to Samsung curve the refresh rate, how much of a difference am I really going to see if lets say I buy a monitor with a refresh rate of 75hz for example?
The Samsung monitor has FreeSync, which only works with AMD card (like the RX 570/580). The benefits of FreeSync are most pronounced at lower FPS, so may not be very useful to you if you're at 250fps+ in CS:GO. Unfortunately the Samsung has a very weak FreeSync range anyway; it doesn't start low enough to be properly effective. Comparable G-Sync monitors (which do work with Nvidia cards) are £300+

The 1060 6GB is currently the better card for price/performance compared to RX 570/580. With current prices, I'd say your best bet is to grab the GTX 1060 6GB with a cheaper 144hz/1080p/FreeSync/TN monitor - a great pairing for CS:GO. Cheaper TN monitor do usually have washed out colours though, will look much worse than the VA Samsung monitor - but it's a compromise on price.

Last edited:
Soldato
seems screen has hz selection mode depending on your game and GPU power
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £426.68 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Freesync 30-144hz would say 40hz to 144hz

https://www.144hzmonitors.com/monitors/msi-optix-mag24c/

Total: £460.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

freeysnc would help if you intend to play games such as Assassins creed were frames can dip and rise depending on where and what your doing

as for the samsung

‘Ultimate Engine’ gives a broader variable refresh rate range of 70 – 144Hz (62 – 119Hz via HDMI)
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c24fg70/

again, like the top monitor and think same for MSI, can select max hz 60/100/120/144hz which effects colour scale. know you've got a title which cant hit over 100hz, set it to 100hz mode and enjoy better colour scale etc etc

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you both, I think I might just stick with the curve, perhaps I might look at a 1440 monitor down the line but I am sure I'll be happy with it for now.

As an aside, called up Overclockers to see if they could flash the motherboard for me and the guy said that it would depend on how busy their tech team were. After a few minutes of being on hold, he told me that they are too busy at the moment so its a no. Have checked another supplier albeit their costs are slightly higher than the costs here they did say they would flash it for me though charge £12 for it - for the sake of having to ship it off to Gigabyte and wait, I think I would rather pay the £12 and get it done.

Soldato
Thank you both, I think I might just stick with the curve, perhaps I might look at a 1440 monitor down the line but I am sure I'll be happy with it for now.

As an aside, called up Overclockers to see if they could flash the motherboard for me and the guy said that it would depend on how busy their tech team were. After a few minutes of being on hold, he told me that they are too busy at the moment so its a no. Have checked another supplier albeit their costs are slightly higher than the costs here they did say they would flash it for me though charge £12 for it - for the sake of having to ship it off to Gigabyte and wait, I think I would rather pay the £12 and get it done.

true and cant blame you for that service - very handy . its nice of Gigabyte to do it but it all adds time to the process for what is a 5 min job :)

thats the thing with freesync, Miners have made AMD cards shoot up in price but monitors are soooo much cheaper then G-sync .
thats was a sweet spot you could land a £200 1440p Freesync monitor and Vega 56 for £650 all in... a 1440p G-sync monitor was like £550 by its self then add £370 for the gtx 1070..ouch

what ever you choose- you should be golden - might be worth looking at a low cost 3rd party cooler - if your going to let the excellent XFR 2 do its auto overclock thing, seems temp is used in its algorithm. wouldn't need anything fancy though , £20 like cryorig AMD

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-m9a-single-tower-heatsink-for-amd-hs-00b-cy.html

again you dont need to, and could be a future purchase :) see how you get on

and would personally take the MSI screen over Samsung if going RX 570 route

Associate

To save all that hassle, I think you're better off with an intel CPU such as the i5-8400 etc. It's slightly faster in 1080p gaming, which will be important for 144fps+

Man of Honour
tried to stick to budget...couldn't (£50 over)
so went with a 480gb ssd instead, can always add the 2nd hdd in later
1st gen ryzen + 16gb ram
rx580 + freesync monitor - i wouldn't recommend getting a rx570 - as this is a performance class below the rx580/1060

Total: £1,105.44 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Associate
OP
A fair point.

@Rob.S What sort of multi-tasking do you do?
Can vary, but work-wise it would be multiple large file size word documents, skype, plenty of browser tabs and on occasions reviewing videos / high quality photos.

Strictly speaking I could afford an 8700 but I am resisting temptation and trying to set a budget since I don't usually have hours to game these days but just nice to have something there without too much expense. Not had a great experience with AMD graphics cards previously and have tended to stick with nvidia as well as Intel CPUs - do these new AMD cards use more power than the nvidia counterparts? and what about noise levels too?

@tamzzy, curious about your choice of CPU any particular reason over the 1st gen than the 2nd?

Associate
Can vary, but work-wise it would be multiple large file size word documents, skype, plenty of browser tabs and on occasions reviewing videos / high quality photos.

Strictly speaking I could afford an 8700 but I am resisting temptation and trying to set a budget since I don't usually have hours to game these days but just nice to have something there without too much expense. Not had a great experience with AMD graphics cards previously and have tended to stick with nvidia as well as Intel CPUs - do these new AMD cards use more power than the nvidia counterparts? and what about noise levels too?

@tamzzy, curious about your choice of CPU any particular reason over the 1st gen than the 2nd?
For that sort of light multi-tasking the i5-8400 will be absolutely fine. Only if you were regularly rendering videos, or live-streaming would Ryzen then pull ahead overall.

Yes, unfortunately AMD cards still use more power and often create more noise than their Nvidia counterparts. The GTX 1060 is a very power-efficient card, the RX 580...not so much.

Soldato
500 series better optimised so used slightly less power and low heat then 400 series . had two Aorus XTR cards and ran fine with 700w PSU so 450w would be fine :)

AMD drivers are now more slicker. Nvidia could learn a thing or two, but AMD have to try and push harder to get the marketshare

Man of Honour
overall platform cost and no hassle with updating bios etc.
(you'd need to update the bios first to get a ryzen 2*** cpu to boot on the b350 board)
basically the intangible costs

Man of Honour
For that sort of light multi-tasking the i5-8400 will be absolutely fine. Only if you were regularly rendering videos, or live-streaming would Ryzen then pull ahead overall.
this.

Total: £1,122.96 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Associate
Just a slight tweaking of the above build - smaller SSD, but a case with better airflow (with a 140mm fan) very quiet CPU cooler and fully-modular PSU which will make cable management easier.

Total: £1,108.95 (includes shipping: £14.10)

You could save even more by getting an even cheaper CPU cooler, picking a cheaper case and no extra 140mm fan. I would recommend keeping that Seasonic PSU though - it's fully modular which is nice to have in small micro-atx cases.​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hmm food for thought.

I thought I was all set on the 2600 perhaps being an all-rounder I guess but I am starting to lean towards Intel. I can see that in the last couple builds the memory is at 2400Mhz compared to the Ryzen builds. Is that a limiting factor of having an Intel build and does it have much of an effect?

If the i-8400 is only going to yield a little extra in gaming and I'm not really going to see that performance increase then I am inclined to stick to the Ryzen - the 1060 power consumption is also attractive over the 580. I can probably cope on 240gb SSD for the time being, though I do see your point tamzzy.

Think I'll mull it over the next couple of days before I decide which way I'm going and before I take the plunge, there's nothing new coming out from Intel, AMD or Nvidia anytime soon that might be worth the wait?

Man of Honour
Is that a limiting factor of having an Intel build and does it have much of an effect?
the intel boards limit mem speeds to 2666mhz, but the jump in cost from 2400 to 2666+ isn't worth it.
2400 is fine for intel, not so much for amd ryzen

the 1060 power consumption is also attractive over the 580
since you're buying a new monitor anyway, at this point, rather get a 580 + free sync monitor than a 1060 without a gsync monitor.

I can probably cope on 240gb SSD for the time being, though I do see your point tamzzy.
ssds don't like to be run near full capacity, as then their garbage collection algorithms start to slow down tremendously (and therefore, their performance). max 70% capacity.

Back
Top Bottom