New build check

Associate
I am finally going to be upgrading my old 2500K with a Ryzen. I've just purchased a 64GB kit (4*16) of Crucial Ballistix Sport LT AES and am wanting advice around a couple of other products. I have a Fractal Design FD-PSU-NEWT2-800 PSU, MSI Geforce 1060GT and 4*SSD that I am planning on moving over to my new build. The advice I need is around processor, MB and case. I am looking at the Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, a 3700X and the Corsair Carbide 100R case. I use my PC for running VMs for testing for work, Video transcoding and a bit of gaming (Diablo 3, ESO, Skyrim). I don't want any RGB if I can help it, I prefer a quiet system that can just sit in the corner.
My questions are:
Will the PSU be ok for this new system?
How loud is the supplied Wraith cooler with the CPU? Would I notice a difference changing to a Noctua NH D-15 for example?
Would I be better going for the 3800X over the 3700X?
Is this case any good, or can you recommend one like it?

I don't really have a budget, although that being said I don't want to spend loads of money for components that I am not really going to get much use out of. Ideally I would like this system to last me another 7-8 years like my curren gone has (I may upgrade hte GFX card during this time)

Thanks guys!

Man of Honour
Will the PSU be ok for this new system?
Yes
How loud is the supplied Wraith cooler with the CPU?
Not too bad
Ob
Would I notice a difference changing to a Noctua NH D-15 for example?
Obvs it'll be cooler and quieter
Would I be better going for the 3800X over the 3700X?
No.
But depending on how many VMs you have, consider a 3900x instead
Is this case any good, or can you recommend one like it?
Depends on your total budget of course.

Associate
OP
OK, I've been looking pretty much all morning and have now got the WAF as well which always helps lol. Just before I hit the order button does the below look good?
ocorder.png

Soldato
For your uses a 3900X might be better, although the 3700X is still a great CPU.

Here's an alternative idea for a similar price:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £636.27 (includes shipping: £12.30)

You could always see how things go with the stock cooler, and if you feel it necessary pop in a better HSF. I'm not sure if the Gigabyte X570 Elite has features you really need over the B450, but if not you can save a fair chunk.

The B450 Tomahawk Max is more than capable of running the 3900X, as can be seen here: AM4 VRM Ratings.

Associate
OP
Thanks Gray

I know it is unheard of nowadays, but I do really need a 5.25 bay for a DVD drive, and another one for a tape drive which is why I went for the 600 case.

With regards the motherboard, I am happy to swap to this one, what is MSI RMA like though? One of the reasons I was going for the Gigabyte was due to gigaman being on these forums and being really easy to get hold of for helping out with issues. If MSI are good boards I am fine with that and will change to the 3900X.

I have heard good things about the wraith, but it is just about the noise for me really which is why I was going for the better cooler. I can't really do with the hassle of taking the PC all apart again if the Wraith is too loud for my delicate ears lol

One other thing - How do put my basket inline to these posts? That's why I had to screenshot before

Thanks

Soldato
Thanks Gray
I know it is unheard of nowadays, but I do really need a 5.25 bay for a DVD drive, and another one for a tape drive which is why I went for the 600 case.

With regards the motherboard, I am happy to swap to this one, what is MSI RMA like though? One of the reasons I was going for the Gigabyte was due to gigaman being on these forums and being really easy to get hold of for helping out with issues. If MSI are good boards I am fine with that and will change to the 3900X.

I have heard good things about the wraith, but it is just about the noise for me really which is why I was going for the better cooler. I can't really do with the hassle of taking the PC all apart again if the Wraith is too loud for my delicate ears lol

Thanks

Fair enough if you need the bays.

I've no personal experience of MSI RMA, although I think OCUK might handle that side of things. Someone else should be along to give you information regarding the process, or you could ask OCUK to verify.

Soldato

I have heard good things about the wraith, but it is just about the noise for me really which is why I was going for the better cooler.
Marketroids are indeed turning cases into inflexible and unexpandable disposable fashion toys.
Also famous Fractal Design Define R serie has been devolving away from functional design.

There's never sense in paying quarter of CPU's price from cooler.
For just 3700X something like £21 Arctic Freezer 34 would do nicely.
And £43 Scythe Mugen 5 is only step behind the best.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

Back
Top Bottom