New build for son for christmas - advice pls. heres my basket

Soldato
Ideally would like to get it slightly cheaper if possible I just wonder about the motherboard is mirco atx an ok board should i look for full atx we have a copy of windows already which is why i didnt introduce it?

I dont know much about power supplies or cases. Some advice would be appreciated.

My son is an avid fortnite player and twitch streamer.

thanks for any help guys.

J

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £568.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Soldato
@jas72

guessing £550-600 is your budget ? as well as gaming at 1080p?

£40 steamvoucher with board

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lp/gigabyte-am4-cashback.html

and 3 free games with AMD card

DE
Total: £687.90 (includes shipping: £14.10)

though if your going to purchase for xmas.... deals will be had closer the time so might be worth holding off unless its an #early gift​

Soldato
this is more, but is a much better system.

Total: £715.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

intel build thats slightly cheaper, if fortnite is the only game he be playing then he will be able to get away with a 240gb ssd, enough storage while making the system much quicker than a normal hdd, i can run fortnite on high settings at 1366x768 very well with my system and this is better than mine, there are tower cases for a few quid less if the cube isnt appealing and ive put in a quality power supply.

Total: £553.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

heres another suggestion for AMD based.

faster still, bigger ssd, motherboard supports 2nd gen ryzen so you can always upgrade to a 2600/2700 if you need to and all this still under your original cost.

Total: £556.00 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

to throw in as a curve ball, something for him to get started with depending on his age then maybe the ryzen APU in a tiny case, there are cheaper cases with power supplies, but wasnt in stock, you might have to get a smaller cooler, but this be a nice little portable basic gaming system.

Total: £540.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Soldato
Ideally would like to get it slightly cheaper if possible I just wonder about the motherboard is mirco atx an ok board should i look for full atx we have a copy of windows already which is why i didnt introduce it?

I dont know much about power supplies or cases. Some advice would be appreciated.

My son is an avid fortnite player and twitch streamer.

thanks for any help guys.

J

Total: £568.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)

If he's a twitch streamer then he'll need a decent CPU to help streaming, whilst gaming, so a 6 core AMD is a good call. Old gen Ryzen 1600 is a solid basis for your build.

Your budget will be 600 at least though. Does he need a screen, keyboard or mouse? If he's a twitch streamer then what is he currently using to stream on? Anything that can be reused?

Soldato
OP
Guys thanks for all the input. I really want to keep the price as low as possible I've a budget of 500 but would be willing to go extra 50 if the upgrade was worth it.

I think you are all right I should be looking at an SSD to start him off and he can always get a data drive at a later date. Thanks for that.

I love the SFF case would it fit my choice of GFX card?

For the card I can't budget 210 for it it's just too much. I was looking initially at a 1050 but have pushed a bit for a 1060 as the difference between the two is huge.

The six core 1600 would put the budget up to nearly 600 would it really be needed over the quad core 1300x ?

One question @ExoMale I don't understand the 2nd Gen AMD4 answer, are some boards old tech?

I want to future proof especially if he seriously gets into his gaming then I don't want to me tied to an old MB.

The one you quoted was actually cheaper than mine.

No rush to buy so I can wait.

thanks,

J

Soldato
Guys thanks for all the input. I really want to keep the price as low as possible I've a budget of 500 but would be willing to go extra 50 if the upgrade was worth it.

I think you are all right I should be looking at an SSD to start him off and he can always get a data drive at a later date. Thanks for that.

I love the SFF case would it fit my choice of GFX card?

For the card I can't budget 210 for it it's just too much. I was looking initially at a 1050 but have pushed a bit for a 1060 as the difference between the two is huge.

The six core 1600 would put the budget up to nearly 600 would it really be needed over the quad core 1300x ?

One question @ExoMale I don't understand the 2nd Gen AMD4 answer, are some boards old tech?

I want to future proof especially if he seriously gets into his gaming then I don't want to me tied to an old MB.

The one you quoted was actually cheaper than mine.

No rush to buy so I can wait.

thanks,

J

you talking about the cube? yeah it will fit that 1060 as i cant see it being longer than 28cm and if you want to keep costs down get a 1050ti, will still be plenty for fortnite, then upgrade if he gets more in to pc gaming, i play certain high end games on a weaker pc fine, so the 1050ti will be a good card for a bit.

the 570 has that extra vram and trade blows if not better than the 3gb 1060 version.

the motherboard i chose supports 1st and 2nd gen, so its not old, just supports the 2000 series where some likely wont at all, you chose a 1st gen ryzen to start with, having 2nd gen support means more futureproofing.

ive never played beyond 4 cores, so i dont know hoe much cpu use fortnite requires, but 6 core will last longer.

okay so to put within budget, then this will do what you ask, i changed the ssd to a WDG because i have the 120gb version and its been great, i purchased another for someone as a result.

Total: £501.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

if it was me id get the APU in case he didnt get in to pc gaming then build a proper gaming pc if he did, but thats me, you are not really going to get better than suggested for such money without buying used.

Soldato
@ExoMale could for £20 more link 120gb ssd with 1tb HDD via StoreMI

fortnite isnt that big of a game really, wouldnt try it on a 120gb, but 240 gives more headroom and if the son decides they want to play more games then add a storage drive afterwards, for this budget its best to stick to a single drive unless you find a 64gb be it kingspec or whoever for £15 new like i did the other day, if the OP is happy to spend above £500 then they could just get the 480gb ssd as i put above and be done with.

its very rare, but for nvida wise, i had seen some 980's from £130 if you look at private sales, hell people are selling used radeon 570's from £130, probably wouldnt buy a 970 unless it was under £100..

it all depends if the OP just wants new or be happy with used as theres plenty of high end used systems for that budget.

Soldato
OP
okay so to put within budget, then this will do what you ask, i changed the ssd to a WDG because i have the 120gb version and its been great, i purchased another for someone as a result.

Total: £501.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)
I like this build fits nicely in the budget from what ive seen the 1060 doubles the fps for fortnite from a 1050ti I can get the 1060 for £27 more.

Soldato
Case wouldn't fit the board... Only 3 slot boards .. yes the above have 3 pcie slots but the m.2 takes up the top one so would have been 4 ... But there are plenty of mATX cases out there :)

Soldato
OP
Can you wait until Black Friday though? (Nov 24th). You'll probably be able to shave a few pounds off your build if you wait until then too.
Does this still hold true can we expect some savings to come from Black Friday? Or will it be the chance for pc part shops to offload b grade and old stock?

My son is itching for me to get it, we live in Belgium and go to Ireland for the festive so we usually have a mini Christmas the week before at our house. I'm hoping to get it built and tested for weekend 14th Dec.

Soldato
Does this still hold true can we expect some savings to come from Black Friday? Or will it be the chance for pc part shops to offload b grade and old stock?

My son is itching for me to get it, we live in Belgium and go to Ireland for the festive so we usually have a mini Christmas the week before at our house. I'm hoping to get it built and tested for weekend 14th Dec.

depends on components . RTX 2080ti short of supply and gtx 1080ti is almost gone so wouldn't expect there to be much. Intel is struggling with CPU stock so many older gens might take a drop .

seems Black Friday in UK has leveled out a bit , specially last year. Companies found it easier to spread over a week - discount lower but more items or do different items on different days etc

Associate
Whatever you do, I'd avoid the 1050 and 1050ti, as price per performance is pretty weak on them. I have a 1050ti in my Microserver, as that's all that fits in there, however a 1060 3GB blows it away, but then I'd take an AMD 570 or 580 over an Nvidia 1060 anyday, especially with the freesync support. Also as other have said, for streaming, more cores the better. The 6 core AMD's I'd think will be a vastly better gaming and overall experience than a quad, however you could stick a cheap quad in for now then upgrade down the line, providing the mobo is good enough with decent VRMs.

Soldato

Personally i think the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales are just pot luck in terms of what you get. As @orbitalwalsh points out, you're really not going to see the RTX series or intel gen9 processors on there.

Also you can try and spend all day watching Amazon with no luck.

I would say if you're happy with that price, then just go for it.

Associate
Okay, ever so slightly over budget and no mechanical drive, but should be enough space for the time being to get him up and running and paired with a freesync monitor would be a pretty decent machine. Can drop in a beefier CPU/GPU in on this board too, PSU shouldn't be a limiting factor unless you run a Vega 64 or RTX card (even then it would probably be okay).

Total: £599.05 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Back
Top Bottom