New build for son for christmas - advice pls. heres my basket

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Awesome, I don't really know much about it, but I've got x6 240GB SSD's to take advantage of that :)

I do still think that for a bit more cash, the 1600 with bundled cooler would be a good option with the streaming aspect. Is there much difference in gaming in terms of min/average FPS going from a Ryzen quad to hex?

Soldato
Awesome, I don't really know much about it, but I've got x6 240GB SSD's to take advantage of that :)

I do still think that for a bit more cash, the 1600 with bundled cooler would be a good option with the streaming aspect. Is there much difference in gaming in terms of min/average FPS going from a Ryzen quad to hex?

yes, 1600 would bring it up to match intel cores as well as lasting longer

can only use it for one pairing , have to pay for more if you want to link more drives together . believe AMD bought the software company that created it

Associate
I'd probably stump up the slight difference for that 1600 in that case, seem incredible value considering core/thread count and performance.

Aah okay, that's still pretty good. I'll look into that, as I'm not entirely sure what it actually does, but I've got 3 of these drives installed which are completely empty at the moment lol.

... also, OCUK should hire you or pay you commission, think you're by far the most helpful person I've encountered on here when it comes to building up a spec for gaming/prod rigs!

Soldato
I'd probably stump up the slight difference for that 1600 in that case, seem incredible value considering core/thread count and performance.

Aah okay, that's still pretty good. I'll look into that, as I'm not entirely sure what it actually does, but I've got 3 of these drives installed which are completely empty at the moment lol.

... also, OCUK should hire you or pay you commission, think you're by far the most helpful person I've encountered on here when it comes to building up a spec for gaming/prod rigs!

oil and gas sector - dont think OCUK offer bupa cover my family have been spanking over last 2 years haha
that and i have damn good pension salary sacrifice- should be able to retire at 95.... only another 60 years to go...

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys

Now confused altogether lol my son also got some money for birthday so the 599 build can work he’ll be stoked to get that r570 as a surprise gift he’s helping me with the build and still thinks he’s getting a 1060

Soldato
OP
Guys I finally went and bought everything this weekend. I went for the 1060 3GB version I know the R570 seems to be better but at the moment he's heavily into fortnight and I'd rather spend any extra on the chip so went for a 1600 Ryzen 5 we got a fractal design S case 2 240Gig SSD drives a 600W RGB power supply to give a bit of colour and some Ballistix 2666 mem (2*4G)

I had win 10 on USB and everything went perfectly

I was wondering though should I install the mobo drivers? The system seems to work ok with the win stock drivers what are the advantages of the specific mobo drivers?

Another question possibly related to the previous question when we boot up the PC sticks on the bios splash page, if we hit the reset button it then reboots and loads windows?

I'm sure it's a bios tweak but not sure what setting (it's an ASROCK-B450M-HDV (i hontestly didn't know it was a micro ATX until I got the tiny box...) :(

Back
Top Bottom