New Build - FPS Gaming Rig - £1700

Associate
Hi guys,

Hope you're all doing good. I'm finally settling down so to speak and will have a permanent address so looking to get back in to PC gaming after nearly 10 years out of the game.

Only issue is now I have nothing, not even a keyboard and mouse. Ideally would like to keep things under the above budget, but happy to spend the money for longevity. If I could get the tower and monitor for below the £1700 that would be ideal. Everything else I'll sort separately.

I don't have loads of room so thinking about a 24" monitor, gaming at 1080p. If there are good deals on any 27" (1440p) though that could also work.

Almost exclusively will be used for First person shooters and I would like things to run pretty much maxed out, whilst still smoothly (wouldn't we all?!).

I was looking at a GTX1060, but thinking with the new release of cards next month it may even be worth getting something like a GT1070Ti to future-proof slightly.

Seems like i7 is overkill for gaming, but again if it's worth the little bit extra I'm down.

Do your worst and spend my money!

Soldato
@timebomb26

freesync with vega 64 and 144hz 1440p 27" IPS monitor for fast, smooth, clarity and higher res gameplay :) also comes with 3 free games from AMD for the card

UK RMA for the mobo/card .

Intel still hold the gaming advantage but at 1440p not as higher as 1080p, so overclock CPU 4.8/9ghz

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,676.85 (includes shipping: £28.02)

tried Ryzen - 1700x but with gtx 1080 and 1440p 165hz 27" IPS G-sync screen . not as powerful as netdps with GPU power but CPU and screen is higher

Total: £1,712.33 (includes shipping: £22.50)​

Last edited:
Associate
Different build based on GPU first you can bring it lower by removing / changing the NVME.

Total: £1,742.77 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, those all look great. Liking the 24" widescreen monitor as well. Reckon that is the front runner at the moment.

Surprised I can get a 1080Ti in there at that budget, those things seem to cost as much as some builds.

For cases, what do you guys reckon to the Fractal Design R5 cases? I like the look and like the idea of the noise dampening, but at the same time the room will likely get a bit hot and stuffy in the summer so ventilation will be crucial.

Soldato
@timebomb26

My wife and I both have 1440p 60hz monitors. Hers is 24" IPS and mine 27" . Couldn't game on the 24", pixels and text are to small and not every game has text scale ability or not very good . So I gave ghat to her and got myself the 27" version . TN panel , not as vibrant in the colour but much more fan to game on personally . As you can see that reflects in the cost £200 for 27" over 24"
If you can get 1080ti , it's an absolute powerhouse ! Worth waiting till the 19th for reviews of 2080 to come out but then you'd loose the massive savings of the MSI card - no idea how long pre-order is

Associate
OP
@timebomb26

My wife and I both have 1440p 60hz monitors. Hers is 24" IPS and mine 27" . Couldn't game on the 24", pixels and text are to small and not every game has text scale ability or not very good . So I gave ghat to her and got myself the 27" version . TN panel , not as vibrant in the colour but much more fan to game on personally . As you can see that reflects in the cost £200 for 27" over 24"
If you can get 1080ti , it's an absolute powerhouse ! Worth waiting till the 19th for reviews of 2080 to come out but then you'd loose the massive savings of the MSI card - no idea how long pre-order is

What screen would you recommend for 27”? I had a look at some Asus monitors today and wasn’t all that impressed.

I can definirely wait for reviews of the new cards. Realistically I won’t be in a position to buy this for another month or so.

Soldato
What screen would you recommend for 27”? I had a look at some Asus monitors today and wasn’t all that impressed.

I can definirely wait for reviews of the new cards. Realistically I won’t be in a position to buy this for another month or so.

@netdps power option my not be reachable even with 24" 1440p screen due to that MSI only being £600 for pre-order , think the next cheapest Aorus currently instock is £650

as for 1440p 144hz g-sync - any you can get cheaply. haha there is the option though of Running Freesync 144Hz monitors... yes you dont get the sync tech but able to push the high rates etc

Total: £1,314.87 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

few do run freesync monitors with nvidia cards

Soldato
If you're thinking about a system based on a GTX 1080 Ti hold off until the RTX reviews are in as GTX prices should drop considerably.

ocuk dropped the RTX 2070 pricing and rmeoved it, was £570 odd. that's what will drop pricing of 1080ti. soon as results go live for 2080, guessing they'll sell out like Pascal did at launch and rise up due to demand =/

found out there will be low numbers of Turing cards at EGX, a day after the NDA lifts.. =(

prices have already crept up when Gigabyte and palit were at £715 then went to £760 etc

Nvidia are able to track stock from all major resellers... part of the parcel selling their cards :(

Associate
OP
as for 1440p 144hz g-sync - any you can get cheaply.

few do run freesync monitors with nvidia cards

Even if I do end up going to the Nvidia route I think that the G-Sync stuff is too pricey. Hoping it will be a case of if you’ve never had it, you won’t miss it.

The AOC monitor looks nice. Again I saw a few of those the other day and they feel well built. You’d recommend going 1440p 27” over 1080p 24”? Just thinking about space really.

I move in to the new place next month so will be able to take a better look at things.

Soldato
Even if I do end up going to the Nvidia route I think that the G-Sync stuff is too pricey. Hoping it will be a case of if you’ve never had it, you won’t miss it.

The AOC monitor looks nice. Again I saw a few of those the other day and they feel well built. You’d recommend going 1440p 27” over 1080p 24”? Just thinking about space really.

I move in to the new place next month so will be able to take a better look at things.

Tire, if you've never had sync tech wouldn't notice as much, but you will notice the difference of any monitor over 60hz when you drive 80+ FPS :)

I'd recommend 27" 1440p over 24" 1080p , pixels just become to small . And vise versa , 27" 1070p pixels are huge and you have to turn every filter setting to smooth out the pixels .

With gtx 1080ti you'd be looking at 1440p period . If you wanted 1080p the .you'd be looking at 200hz monitors and running it with Intel's clocked at 5ghz +

Associate
OP
So after messing around a bit, I have put together the following. Mainly looking for feedback on the Mobo choice etc. Basically I liked the look of the wifi inclusion and it has solid reviews.

Also would be getting the black case, but OCUK don't have it. FYI will not be ordering from anyone in the UK as I live abroad.

Total: £1,822.97 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Soldato
shame its out of stock

Total: £114.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

also bare in mind h370 cant overclock the I7 K chip , though enable MCE and will run 4.7ghz all cores . though YOU'LL NEED A DAMN BETTER COOLER THEN THE TX3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grab antec 650w psu to save some cash as well

if going G-sync monitor, save up hard. you'll be at least wanting 165hz 1440p or 100hz ultra wide 1440p with a 1080ti :)

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks again everyone for the input. After some thought, and with the parts I have available to me, I think I have more or less settled on the following. Again constructive criticism welcome.

CPU: i7 8700
MOBO: ASUS TUF H370 - Pro Gaming Wi-Fi
GPU: GTX 1080Ti
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 250GB (m.2)
HDD: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM006
PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W
Optical drive: None
CPU Cooling: Schythe MarkII SCKTT-2000
Case: Antec P100 Black

The money saved dialing back from the 8700k overclocking option will be put towards a G-Sync Screen.

Associate
Thanks again everyone for the input. After some thought, and with the parts I have available to me, I think I have more or less settled on the following. Again constructive criticism welcome.

CPU: i7 8700
MOBO: ASUS TUF H370 - Pro Gaming Wi-Fi
GPU: GTX 1080Ti
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 250GB (m.2)
HDD: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM006
PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W
Optical drive: None
CPU Cooling: Schythe MarkII SCKTT-2000
Case: Antec P100 Black

The money saved dialing back from the 8700k overclocking option will be put towards a G-Sync Screen.

With a 1080Ti on a 2560 x 1440 resolution would you notice enough of a frame rate drop in games to benefit from G-Sync?

Also PSU looks a little overkill to me (I’d need to check the parts) so you could possibly make a small saving there.

Finally, the CPU cooler could be swapped for something a little cheaper and you’ll not notice much if any difference (the Schythe is getting into water cooled solution pricing tbh and for a CPU that won’t OC, is it really needed??).

I am however a little out of touch with building (haven’t done anything this, or in the last generation) so I could be way wrong.

Associate
OP
With a 1080Ti on a 2560 x 1440 resolution would you notice enough of a frame rate drop in games to benefit from G-Sync?

Also PSU looks a little overkill to me (I’d need to check the parts) so you could possibly make a small saving there.

Finally, the CPU cooler could be swapped for something a little cheaper and you’ll not notice much if any difference (the Schythe is getting into water cooled solution pricing tbh and for a CPU that won’t OC, is it really needed??).

I am however a little out of touch with building (haven’t done anything this, or in the last generation) so I could be way wrong.

My bank account would certainly be happy to hear I wouldn't need G-Sync as I could save myself a few hundred quid!

For the PSU the selection isn't great and the RM750x is the best price vs quality balance I can find. Next one down would likely be a Corsair CX650M.

The stock CPU cooler is a SCBYK-1000I. Reckon that would be fine with no OC?

Back
Top Bottom