New Build Help - 9900k/2080ti/3xm.2

Associate
Hi, planning to build new system and overclock cpu. Since I will be using i9-9900k, which has 16 PCIE lanes, will there be any problems or bottlenecks with using 2x2080ti, 3xM.2 drivers and 2 ssd drives?

System specs:
i9-9900k
64gb ram
ekwb water cooling
MEG Z390 ACE
2 x 2080ti
3x 2tb m.2
2x 2tb ssd

Soldato
@metabeta

Get the Aorus master if you can afford it . Better designed board , VRM can handle 5ghz AVX

You'll have to look at the way the pathways are measured . For example Gigabyte Designare has its PCIe lanes wires for mass storage

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-DESIGNARE-rev-10#kf

Along with native Thunderbolt 3

Master states on site that allows triple M.2 raid set up , guessing GPUs would run at 8x speed each

You'll have to check MSI manual to see how it shares lanes

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, what are you going to do with that PC?
Besides blowing lots of money and heating up your room...

For gaming multi-GPUs has been always heavily reliant on driver optimizations to avoid at worst decrese in performance.
And with DX12 it would up to game developer to get any extra performance from it.

Neither does gaming benefit from NVMes.

And if you think overlocking will give more usable life as high end that time was decade ago.
In fact 9900K likely becomes standard level CPU at summer worth half the price.

Soldato
Few hundred MHz more isn't going to make that much of difference and isn't anyway that usefull for performance if workload is extremely multithreaded.
And Intel is going to get pretty much curbstomped in that at summer.
In CES AMD demoed eight core Zen2 engineering sample matching 9900K in CineBench at ~50W lower power consumption.
That 8c/16t is likely £200-250 standard model, with 12c/24t for hundred more and 16c/32t well likely for £500 level.

Neither Intel's 6th gen Skylake rebrandings have the AVX2 power of Intel's workstation CPUs.
So can't see really any single core advantage remaining for Intel's desktop CPUs at summer, while getting made look cheapos in multithreaded stuff.

Again if there's need for full x16 PCI-e bandwidth that's problem for desktop platforms.
Games don't really need that yet, but not sure about GPGPU stuff.
Maybe there might be some results about the programs you're going to use in web.

Associate
If your not looking at gaming and want more PCIE devices etc then you should really be looking at HEDT platforms such as Skylake-X X299 or Threadripper X399.

The most important thing is to look at the apps you use and what platform works best, I can’t for the life of me what workflows will need dual 2080ti cards?

That said, RTX2080ti cards use a proprietary NV Link bridge rather than using the PCIE bus.

Back
Top Bottom