New build my budget is £1200

Associate
Hi Guys its been a while since my last build ive had another little one and shes now 6 so its about time i build a new pc. Ive been looking and im more of a fan of Intel and Nvidia so im more inclined towards them but not a definite. What can you guys squeeze from that budget ?

Soldato
What resolution and refresh rate is the monitor, and does it have any Gsync or Freesync?

Will it be mostly gaming?

Can you salvage anything from the old build, maybe an SSD or something?

Associate
I think he means it's been like 6 years or more since he's built a pc.

But yeah op you need to let us know what the pc is used for.

If it's gaming then I always say to spend at least HALF of the budget on the gpu.

Plus... Elaborate - gaming?
-what games do you play?
-what res do you game at?
-what fps are you happy with?
-do you play competitively (save some budget for descent mouse and keyboard and high hz monitor / low input lag TV).

But yeah if you're using old hard drives or psu for example this can change, as it frees up more room in the budget...

A second hand 1080ti, 16gb ram, 600w psu and a new ryzen nowadays is about the best bang for your buck, and all you'll need for years to come .

Associate
Plus I know you said you prefer intel, but going intel on a 1200 quid ish build will add around an extra 100-150 quid for around the same performance, so it's worth mentioning amd chips nowadays are a great choice, and that ANYTHING that allows you to spend more money on a gpu (which is far FAR more IMPORTANT than a cpu with gaming) is a good idea.

One other question is will you be overclocking now or in future at all?
This plays a big part in choosing parts for a new build.
-cost of a 'k' intel cpu will be higher, usually around 50 quid.
-how much will be spent on cooling
-need a bigger/better psu
-need a case big enough to encorperate a descent cooler. A case big enough to accommodate a noctua nh-d15 for example would be a good idea. Watercooling is great but if money is a concern a 70 quid noctua destroys EVERYTHING at that price point. Would also be quiter, if that's a concern.

Associate
OP
Sorry gents was busy last night and today. I can salvage the SSD, Mouse and Keyboard for sure and the monitor i have currently is ASUS MG28UQ Gaming Monitor - 28'' 4K UHD (3840x2160), 1ms, Adaptive Sync. Id like to push for 4k but fps dont have to break records just smooth enough for general offline play. Games im likely to play will be Anthem (Hopefully) Destiny 2, BFV, And a selection of good RTS's.
Its pretty much solely for gaming and using as my general home pc for browsing and video watching

Also its not for my daughter its for me sorry if i confused anyone there

Soldato
Sorry gents was busy last night and today. I can salvage the SSD, Mouse and Keyboard for sure and the monitor i have currently is ASUS MG28UQ Gaming Monitor - 28'' 4K UHD (3840x2160), 1ms, Adaptive Sync. Id like to push for 4k but fps dont have to break records just smooth enough for general offline play. Games im likely to play will be Anthem (Hopefully) Destiny 2, BFV, And a selection of good RTS's.
Its pretty much solely for gaming and using as my general home pc for browsing and video watching

Also its not for my daughter its for me sorry if i confused anyone there

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,103.49 (includes shipping: £12.60)

vega 64 and freesync should help smooth frames

nothing fancy

trying to push rtx 2080 - drop down to Non X ryzen, half the SSD size , cheaper case

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,233.49 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Plus I know you said you prefer intel, but going intel on a 1200 quid ish build will add around an extra 100-150 quid for around the same performance, so it's worth mentioning amd chips nowadays are a great choice, and that ANYTHING that allows you to spend more money on a gpu (which is far FAR more IMPORTANT than a cpu with gaming) is a good idea.

One other question is will you be overclocking now or in future at all?
This plays a big part in choosing parts for a new build.
-cost of a 'k' intel cpu will be higher, usually around 50 quid.
-how much will be spent on cooling
-need a bigger/better psu
-need a case big enough to encorperate a descent cooler. A case big enough to accommodate a noctua nh-d15 for example would be a good idea. Watercooling is great but if money is a concern a 70 quid noctua destroys EVERYTHING at that price point. Would also be quiter, if that's a concern.

I would like to think i would dabble in overclocking in the future but this all depends on time as now i have a slightly better job i can afford to save a little and upgrade in the future

Soldato
I would like to think i would dabble in overclocking in the future but this all depends on time as now i have a slightly better job i can afford to save a little and upgrade in the future

2 above would be killer !
specially rtx 2080 system for £1200 odd , vega 64 with freesync makes a bit more sense

Back
Top Bottom