New Build - No Post 9700k, Full Post G4900

Associate
************ Part List: https://uk.************.com/list/fbZNdX

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor (£369.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£128.69 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£229.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£138.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£138.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB AORUS Xtreme Edition 11G Video Card
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case (£105.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro French CDN - DVD 64-bit
Monitor: Acer - Predator XB271HUA 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor (£561.35 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £1671.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by ************ 2019-05-18 23:31 BST+0100

In no particular order, my main issue is that it won't post. Symptoms are:
  • No display
  • No POST
  • No BIOS Screen
  • No POST beeps
  • No MB (error) indicator lights (they all go out)
Things I've tried:

• System boots if I use an Celeron G4900 :/
  • Updated BIOS (when it boots with the celly)
  • Cleared CMOS
  • Removed the CMOS battery
  • Confirmed I've connected the additional CPU MB 8pin cable
  • Run with 1 RAM stick AND without a GPU - same issue
  • Front panel cables are good i.e. HD / Front Panel reset switch / speaker cables are all in the right place
  • CPU (i7) is known good (RMA'd just in case)
  • RAM is known good - passed various passes using memtest (when it boots with Celeron)
  • Had the same issue with a previous motherboard (this is the replacement)
  • Had the same issue with a previous PSU (this is the replacement)
  • Power cable is supplied by the PSU
  • Monitor / monitor cable is known to work
Anyone have any suggestions?

Soldato
Christ, from your 'tried list' you've eliminated virtually everything - you've had a nightmare of build. You seem to have presented us with the computer troubleshooting equivalent of the 'Kobayashi Maru simulation' (you're on nerdy forum so I will presume you get the analogy).

The only component, from your list that sticks out, is the CPU (you've swapped out most other components). Yes, I know you sent it back - but I've been on 2 other threads, in my time on these forums, with similar problems, and the CPU that was sent back for testing ultimately turned out to be the problem - after weeks of frustrating troubleshooting. And was also the one component the 'user' hadn't swapped out, or independently tested himself.

I'll stress, i'm not definitively identifying the CPU as the fault - but from your troubleshooting list it's conspicuous by it's lack of testing by you in another board - or an alternate i7 9700K being tested in your setup.

The only other component that sticks out is the memory - there may be some odd compatibility issue/setting with the CPU. Have you tried different sticks?

The only other thing i can think of is your cooler. There's a slim chance it may be warping the board in a manner that it affects the i7 specifically - or putting pressure on it that is creating a 'connection anomaly' within the socket. This is an extreme long shot as it's an AIO and not an brick.

Have you tried a skeleton setup out side of the case?

EDIT: Is your computer plugged directly into the wall socket? If your using an extension lead - try plugging directly into the mains.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Christ, from your 'tried list' you've eliminated virtually everything - you've had a nightmare of build. You seem to have presented us with the computer troubleshooting equivalent of the 'Kobayashi Maru simulation' (you're on nerdy forum so I will presume you get the analogy).

The only component, from your list that sticks out, is the CPU (you've swapped out most other components). Yes, I know you sent it back - but I've been on 2 other threads, in my time on these forums, with similar problems, and the CPU that was sent back for testing ultimately turned out to be the problem - after weeks of frustrating troubleshooting. And was also the one component the 'user' hadn't swapped out, or independently tested himself.

I'll stress, i'm not definitively identifying the CPU as the fault - but from your troubleshooting list it's conspicuous by it's lack of testing by you in another board - or an alternate i7 9700K being tested in your setup.

The only other component that sticks out is the memory - there may be some odd compatibility issue/setting with the CPU. Have you tried different sticks?

The only other thing i can think of is your cooler. There's a slim chance it may be warping the board in a manner that it affects the i7 specifically - or putting pressure on it that is creating a 'connection anomaly' within the socket. This is an extreme long shot as it's an AIO and not an brick.

Have you tried a skeleton setup out side of the case?

EDIT: Is your computer plugged directly into the wall socket? If your using an extension lead - try plugging directly into the mains.

Thanks for the reply and Love the star trek reference :) I've had a nightmare build; honestly cursed from the start. The first set of RAM was also DOA, so that caused me no manner of issues.

Cooler was my next thought.
I am using an extension lead; so again next on my list is to go directly into the wall
I was also using a kettle lead that was old and had a 5A fuse, changed this to the PSU one and thought it was my magic bullet... sadly not :(

Final option is to run it without the case.

When you use Celeron do you run same cooler as for the i7?

Same cooler on both attempts.

Back
Top Bottom