New build problem MSI X750 Tomahawk Wifi, Ryzen 7 5800x and 6800 won't restart?

Commissario
Hi

A friend has just built a new system based on the following:

Ryzen 7 5800
MSI x750 Tomahawk wifi
and a 6800 GPU
[edit]A seasonic 850 watt PSU.[/edit]

He's having an issue where if he boots from USB to install windows onto the drive (he's tried an M2 and a normal SATA SSD) it'll load fine and install windows etc, but if he turns it off it'll then simply show a black screen, until he resets using the button and can get into the bios.
He can not then get into windows until he reinstalls it.

When he's just installed windows it'll let him install stuff, watch videos etc and run fine until he turns it off.

It doesn't appear to be memory related (it shows the correct amount and I'd expect at least an error message).
It doesn't appear to be drive related as such, as it's happening with two very different drives, but allowed windows to be installed on them.
I don't think it's CPU related because again it's booted up and installed windows.

My guess at the moment is it's possibly related to secure boot/windows boot/the EUFI settings but I'm stumped (and about 150 miles away from him).

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Yup it's the only one in there and it's showing it as the uefi boot priority 1.

It's got both of us a little stumped as it's not something either of us have encountered before having done the normal checks.

Commissario
OP
He's got full screen logo disabled so it's got post messages.
If it's any help he can take a video of what's happening.

It's a really weird one, his bios settings are

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Associate
Hi. I'm the fella with the problem. It happens on either XMP profile or with no profile. Just tried it, but thanks anyhow.

Associate
No messages, just a (very) brief POST then straight to black screen, monitor flashes standby and the keyboard turns off. The four mobo error lights blink on then go out like there's nothing wrong and the computer is still powered up - but the only thing I can do is reset or power off from the case buttons.

Man of Honour
No messages, just a (very) brief POST then straight to black screen, monitor flashes standby and the keyboard turns off. The four mobo error lights blink on then go out like there's nothing wrong and the computer is still powered up - but the only thing I can do is reset or power off from the case buttons.
After the rest can you then get into the bios ?

Windows is installed on the ssd so if you select and reboot it black screens again ?

Man of Honour
Yes, provided I can get to delete in the fraction of a second before it completes it's post and goes black

If I save and exit the bios or if I hit F11 and select the drive it blackscreens.
Certainly strange issiue,

Youve also tried 2 drives same result.

Could Try the beta bios

Wondering if its gpu do you have another to try ?

Also try booting with one stick of memory.

Associate
Thanks everybody for suggestions. I will do a slew of tests in the morning when I'm not felling quite so tired. I'll update you tomorrow.

I have a known good GPU to try and I'll try changing the ram arrangements too.

Associate
Hi all, I think I got it. I was using an old-as-dirt Windows install usb. After talking to Ade last night on Discord we decided that an up to date Windows installer would be a good idea. That was the first thing I tried this morning and it seems to have worked. Powering on and off without issue so far. Thanks everybody for your time!

Back
Top Bottom