New build PSU query..

Associate
Hi all,

I'm building a Ryzen 3200g system for my father-in-law.

I've chosen a CX450M for the PSU.

It's unlikey he's going to do much in the way of gaming so this is fine.

But...

I do have an old 7950 iceq lying around, it's semi-borked & I might try to get it working with an oven job.

The Corsair only has one GPU cable that splits to 2 x 6+2-pin & I'm not sure I'd be happy running this card off one cable (if I can get it working).

Budget is ballpark £60.. any solid reccomendations for a PSU which runs two seperate cables? Semi-modular preffered, the case is a lian-li 205M.

Associate
Do you have the 3200G? If not, good luck getting one at the moment!

If he isn't going to do gaming just run the APU and be done with it, they are perfectly capable for most tasks.
If not, flog it and get something more suitable, seems a waste otherwise.

Have you looked at the bequiet! PSU's? They are reasonably priced and good quality - they also show you the cable arrangement for each model on their website.

Associate
OP

If he isn't going to do gaming just run the APU and be done with it, they are perfectly capable for most tasks.

Have you looked at the bequiet! PSU's? They are reasonably priced and good quality - they also show you the cable arrangement for each model on their website.

Not yet.. it's due in stock next week. Not here ofc:p

If I can get the 7950 to work it'll be a nice bonus for him.. but it's unlikely he'll play anything more than demanding than chess:D It's more me & the temptation to tinker. I think I'll stick with the Corsair & if the gpu works see how it fares using 1 cable to feed it.

The main thing is that the system has an upgrade path for cpu & gpu if he ever wants it.

Associate
Don't hold your breath on the APU, only one UK retailer I know of is claiming an eta for restock - the rest I contacted tell me it is either a discontinued line or they don't know if they can get it, which given AMD are going to be dropping a new APU product line shortly seems likely.
I've been after a 3400G for about a month!

Depending on what board you have in the system you should have plenty of upgrade options on AM4.

Associate
OP
Yeah if it doesn't transpire I'll reassess. Board will be the b450 mortar max. Nothing ships until the CPU is in stock. Except for the case which arrives tomorrow from ocuk.

Associate
I have the same board, good choice.
If you haven't already bought it there were bundles being sold on certain auction sites which included the APU and the Mortar, which was the only other way I could see to get the APU.
Unfortunately, I already had the board otherwise I'd have gone this way.

Second hand pricing on these processors is well above what they were selling for new. Crazy.

Associate
OP
Yeah everything is nuts atm... Glad I'm not trying to buy a gpu!

I used the same mini for my wife's pc, very good board. Well worth the extra over the £50-60 pound boards.

Associate
OP
Small update - baking the 7950 has worked! Played a few games at 1080p in my rig & running very nicely.

I'll probably bump the psu to a CX550M, possibly even a seasonic core gold unit (I don't really need semi-modular as the case has a PSU shroud) just to be on the safe side.

I'm also tempted to convince my father-in-law to go for a 3500x, just slightly concerned that the 7950 might fail again & then it would be new gpu time.

Happy days, hf building all:)

Man of Honour
Small update - baking the 7950 has worked! Played a few games at 1080p in my rig & running very nicely.

I'll probably bump the psu to a CX550M, possibly even a seasonic core gold unit (I don't really need semi-modular as the case has a PSU shroud) just to be on the safe side.

I'm also tempted to convince my father-in-law to go for a 3500x, just slightly concerned that the 7950 might fail again & then it would be new gpu time.

Could play it safe and get the Intel I3 10100 which has intergrated graphics.

Associate

I have similar setup 7950 with i5 3570k (built ages ago) with 650w PSU. I think 550w should be fine as long as you dont overclock.

Associate
OP

Yeah that went as expected.. 3200G back-ordered to 02/02 now. I've talked him into getting a 3600 now & if the 7950 doesn't pan out we have other gpu options.

Quick question: I've still got a Wraith Spire from my R1600 & I think that's better than the Stealth it comes with. What's the go to cheap cooler for a 3600 if I want to get something better?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Yeah that went as expected.. 3200G back-ordered to 02/02 now. I've talked him into getting a 3600 now & if the 7950 doesn't pan out we have other gpu options.

Quick question: I've still got a Wraith Spire from my R1600 & I think that's better than the Stealth it comes with. What's the go to cheap cooler for a 3600 if I want to get something better?

Cheers
Use the wraith spire but if you want better then the arctic 34 is a great budget option.

Back
Top Bottom