New build - Sound intermittently cutting out and stutters

Associate
OP
So last couple of days I've been using my PC with the "marvell fastlinq edge 10gbe network adapter" disabled completely, i.e. no internet connection. For the most part it's been okay until today, where I'm now getting the same issues as before when it was enabled.

The only difference is now there's no system or application events/errors picked up and no spikes in latency monitor...

For example it happened whilst typing this message, full system hang up for 1s or so, my message typed dozens of spaces, as if I was holding that key down. Very confusing and frustrating. Obviously the positive is the MB is being replaced regardless, so there's that. But now I'm not 100% convinced it's going to resolve it.

So same symptoms.. system lagging/freezing temporarily, sound cutting out (sometimes never coming back etc). It does seem to happen much more frequently when the Marvell adaptor is enabled.

Associate
Run the memory at jedec speeds i.e. under clock, no xmp.
Disable nic in bios.
Try a gaming benchmark on loop to speed up testing.
Remove excess drives/peripherals.
1 monitor.
Swap GPU for a spare? Try that too.

Is the memory on motherboard qvl?
You've got a bleeding edge pc, issues might need resolving via bios updates.

Associate
OP
Run the memory at jedec speeds i.e. under clock, no xmp.
Disable nic in bios.
Try a gaming benchmark on loop to speed up testing.
Remove excess drives/peripherals.
1 monitor.
Swap GPU for a spare? Try that too.

Is the memory on motherboard qvl?
You've got a bleeding edge pc, issues might need resolving via bios updates.

Hi, thanks for replying :). FYI - I've just reinstalled windows 10 completely fresh, going to install things one and at a time and monitor to see if anything changes. So there are now no additional "anything's" if you like, hardware and software wise.

To answer some of your questions:
  • With regards to the NIC disabling in the BIOS - are you referring to any Intel standard ones or specifically the one I'm having issues with (or potentially having issues with i.e. this Marvell thing)?
  • RAM - I'm currently running with XMP disabled to test, will feedback. XMP was enabled previously. Googling shows lots of Reddit posts of people struggling with XMP with the new Z690 AORUS boards and DDR5. However not displaying same issues/symptoms I've had.
  • I've tried with 1 monitor, same issues.
  • GPU - Yes tried with my old 2080ti and had the same problems.
  • QVL - This is quite a new setup in terms of tech, so not sure if Gigabyte have updated their QVP for DDR5 yet. Couldn't find anything with a quick google. I may be missing some info somewhere though. This is the exact name of the RAM from the website "Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB (2X32GB) DDR5 PC5-41600C40 5200MHz". I just found this website - link - Don't know how accurate it is. The 16GB sticks of the same make etc show as QVL approved. Therefore I believe my RAM is QVL for all major brands, as looking at ASUS MB's they also approve the same stuff.
Also I don't know what you mean by "bleeding edge pc" haha. I've done all the update available, one by one too, just in case they forgot to roll something from previous ones into the latest.

I've also just had my first ever (with this build) hard lock up. PC just randomly froze whilst writing this message, had to be powered down with the physical power button eventually.

EDIT: According to Gigabyte's website my RAM speed and size etc should be fine - link - and image below:

RAM.jpg

The "memory support list" it mentions hasn't been updated for DDR5, as mentioned earlier in this post.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl

Is your memory code on that list?

Bios f8a?

Try installing those gigabyte provided chipset drivers.

Yes disable nic in bios if you really want to disable it.

Try 1 stick of ram at jedec non oc speeds.
Make sure sticks are in correct slot for single dimm and 2 dimm.

Answers below:
  • All SSD's are on the approved list: WD_BLACK SN750 WDS200T3X0C 2TB being the one Windows and all games etc are installed on.
  • RAM - CPU-Z says my code is CMT64GX5M2B5200C40, which is not listed.
  • BIOS is the latest F8a, yes.
  • I've installed all drivers from Gigabytes website, this was before I re-installed Windows 10 again last night.
  • RAM sticks are 100% in correct slots for 2x stick, I double and triple checked haha but I will try using one stick.
Given the supplier is willing to refund me for this board I am also tempted to try the ASUS Z690 ROG MAXIMUS HERO instead, as has good reviews and feedback. However now going to have to go through each individual board and see if any directly support the RAM I have, I assume. Never had an issue with RAM not being supported etc before.

Other option would be to order some C38 RAM, in 4x 16GB sticks and see if it resolves the issue.. The CMT32GX5M2B5200C38 is on the list as approved.

Last edited:
Associate
Ye don't get the same board again. I don't think it faulty it's immature tech and future bios updates could make it more stable with your ram.

Try 1 stick ram at 4400mhz speed.

I'd return your ram too if it's not too late and get a ram mobo combination that you know works for others.

Associate
OP
Ye don't get the same board again. I don't think it faulty it's immature tech and future bios updates could make it more stable with your ram.

Try 1 stick ram at 4400mhz speed.

I'd return your ram too if it's not too late and get a ram mobo combination that you know works for others.

Bahhh, slightly frustrating if this is the case. Gigabyte have been doing regular updates to support other RAM types and speeds etc, looking at the update history.

RAM wise - I'm out of the standard 14 days returns policy, however most companies (including this one and OCUK) offer up to 30 days returns if the item/s "do not match the description, are not of satisfactory quality, or are not fit for purpose" - so I suppose this could fall under the latter option, will have to ask..

Oversight on my part but I've been an early adopter many times before without issue. I find it very odd that extremely specific RAM is only supported, when the MB specifications clearly state in can take up to OC 6400MHz.

Next problem is pretty much 0 RAM (of my preferred RAM) available at the specs the MB's I'm looking at approve for use. ASUS board mentioned earlier accepted Corsair 64GB versions:

RAM-2.jpg

I suppose I could buy the cheapest set of compatible RAM and just use that until other stuff becomes supported and/or actually available stock wise.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@pallys - thanks for all info. I think it’s still worth getting the motherboard replaced, as the Marvell NIC error throughout this thread seems most likely to be a rare hardware issue unfortunately.

With regards to the RAM - this wouldn’t affect or cause the above issue, would you agree with that? Regardless compatible RAM needs to be ordered to be on the safe side.

Associate
You can rule out the marvel NIC if you disable at the hardware level via bios setting. If it still happens with it off AND no cable in it then problem is elsewhere.

Regarding the ram, seems unlikely it is the problem if you still get symptoms running 1 stick at 4400mhz max.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You can rule out the marvel NIC if you disable at the hardware level via bios setting. If it still happens with it off AND no cable in it then problem is elsewhere.

Regarding the ram, seems unlikely it is the problem if you still get symptoms running 1 stick at 4400mhz max, anything above

Okay thanks. I’ll be honest, no idea where to disable that in the BIOS. I’ve disabled it in device manager but never used a Gigabyte board before and can’t find the option anywhere.

EDIT: Nevermind, I’m assuming it’s the gigabyte onboard lan controller, disabled it :). Will report back.

Associate
OP
Nice glad you got it sorted I hope.

New motherboard arrived yesterday :). Absolutely no issues whatsoever now, so was definitely a faulty LAN nic, very rare, never seen something like that on a new board. That was my first ever Gigabyte MB, so given the experience decided to go back to ASUS (the GB BIOS was awful). I've gone rather extreme for a MB but I intend to seriously OC all components, just for fun really, so I don't mind the cost. Got the ASUS Z690 ROG MAXIMUS APEX, it's a stunning bit of kit :). Also my RAM is now working properly in XMP, nice little bonus, especially considering it's not technically approved for the new MB yet (but ASUS are good with BIOS updates anyway).

Company has received my RMA, processing it now.

Next up is to enjoy the PC over a long weekend haha! Then after that I'm going to be building a new custom loop, amongst other things. May put a build thread up.

Thanks for all your help @pallys

Strange how the issue represented even when the device was not in use, must have still been sending some IRQ requests at a guess ?? Anyone ??

I had some similar issues with the nic disabled in device manager but very, very rarely. Once disabled in BIOS it went away completely. Whereas with the nic enabled it was constant. Potentially some other issue with the MB too, who knows. Could have just been a dodgy board slipping through QA on Gigabyte's end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom