New build, starts up then shuts down immediately

Associate
Hi guys, I built a new system yesterday and after reading through all the documentation and grind I finally go to turn it on and the cpu fan and rear LED fan start spinning for half a second then the system goes off immediately.

Here is a list of things I have tried...

Removing the I/O shield as I thought it might have been rubbing and a short.

Removed the RAM and tried powering it on with 2 different 8gb sticks 1 at a time.

Used the power supply from this computer I am using now to rule out a power supply issue.

Had a look round the CPU to make sure no thermal paste had leaked into the socket.

Checked that all the cables were plugged in properly.

Double checked that there were no extra risers behind the motherboard which could cause a short.

Stripped the computer down to make sure the cabling around the case has no wires that are exposed which could cause a short and that there are no loose screws or other metal objects touching the motherboard.

Double checked that the motherboard supports 8th gen Intel processors which it does.

I have exhausted a lot of options and have just tore the whole thing down and re-boxed everything and I am thinking about getting a replacement motherboard but I just want to know if anyone has any suggestions or experience with this type of thing.

System build

Intel i5 8500
ASUS Prime z370-p
2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
Corsair VS 550 PSU
Kingston 240GB SSD
1TB Western Digital HDD

Soldato
Have you checked the CPU socket on the motherboard for bent pins?

Have you built the system on top of the motherboard box with just the bare essentials? CPU, CPU Cooler, 1stick of RAM, PSU

Associate
OP
I havent built it ontop of the motherboard box with just those things. I would need to jump the power pins on the mainboard to start it wouldn't i? If it done the same thing it would rule out the case being the issue?

Associate
OP
taken out and reseated CPU? could be upside down.... and i do this about once a month haha
I took it out to check the socket to make sure there was no thermal paste in it, the CPU socket has small round grooves at one side to make sure it can't go in any other way unless you put it in upside down lol

Soldato
I took it out to check the socket to make sure there was no thermal paste in it, the CPU socket has small round grooves at one side to make sure it can't go in any other way unless you put it in upside down lol

... yep.. thats me , few times ive done that hahaha

as mentioned above, last attempt is to build out of case

Associate
OP
the pain going with two different shops and board vendor cant send board direct to . Personally don think its your CPU

The motherboard lights up when the powers plugged in which gives you a false sense of hope but it could be another circuit on it that's humped. Im going to send the board back to amazon. If anyone has anything else i'd be happy to give it a go up before I send the board back.

Associate
I had this issue once and I *THINK* it was when my water cooling leaked and took out the GPU and motherboard - so imo its the motherboard. Obviously not water damaged in this case but maybe some other defect or damage.

Associate
OP
I had this issue once and I *THINK* it was when my water cooling leaked and took out the GPU and motherboard - so imo its the motherboard. Obviously not water damaged in this case but maybe some other defect or damage.

Yeah I don't have any water cooling just a stock cooler and I have been handling it like a new born baby so I know its not through me being negligent.

Back
Top Bottom