New Build Time.. Opinion and help needed! (£1500-£1700)

Associate
Hi Guys

So I have had my current build of pc now for perhaps just over 5 years and I am looking at getting myself a new system. The advancement of pc hardware in the last few years and the higher recommended spec of latest AAA games has really left my current system in the dust!

I am a 3D modeller so i tend to use my home computer for not only gaming but the occasional 3D portfolio work along with using software like 3DStudio Max and Substance Painter and photoshop and also the latest games engines such as Unreal Engine 4 and Unity so i need something that packs a punch for the budget i have.

I require no Monitor,Keyboard and Mouse etc my budget is just for the tower only! (No OS needed too)

Specifically i would like to have an Intel and Nvidia based system with a GTX 1080 and one of the new six core intel i7 cpu's. I have had a little look myself and built a system however i am asking for some opinions on the build and also some recommendations from you guys so i can see what you can come up with, with the budget!

Heres the build i have picked out...

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,710.61
(includes shipping: £14.70)

Man of Honour
Quad channel memory is what you should go for and faster, 3000mhz, psu get a better one 650w should be adequate. Such a high end system should get an m2 drive if affordable.

Associate
OP
Quad channel memory is what you should go for and faster, 3000mhz, psu get a better one 650w should be adequate. Such a high end system should get an m2 drive if affordable.

Thanks for the response Micky! I did look at getting Quad Channel Ram and better speeds but its just a tad bit expensive and would push me over my budget by like an extra hundred Quid! as for the PSU and the M2 drive i would love to go for them things but again its just the budget! I have been out the game a while so Im quite oblivious to some things i.e whats best basically!

Soldato
Ahhhhh 3DS, bring back memories , never did Unreal engine 4 but 3. Great fun and times :)

If your doing rendering and if so, more via GPU then Ti hands down
Would personally push coffee lake for it speed and dual channel .
Board and GPU is solid on a budget, Windforce is same PCB as G1 but slower speeds - but OC the same
And Gigabyte support is excellent in the forum as well as via OCUK RMA

Associate
OP
Ahhhhh 3DS, bring back memories , never did Unreal engine 4 but 3. Great fun and times :)

If your doing rendering and if so, more via GPU then Ti hands down
Would personally push coffee lake for it speed and dual channel .
Board and GPU is solid on a budget, Windforce is same PCB as G1 but slower speeds - but OC the same
And Gigabyte support is excellent in the forum as well as via OCUK RMA

thanks orbital! i will definitely consider what you have mentioned! i did look at the i7-8700k Coffee Lake cpu but they seem to be very high in demand at the moment and seem to get snapped up instantly! although theres nothing stopping me putting one in my build and just waiting and extra few days on delivery time!

Associate
OP

Ahh micky that looks great! looks like you've managed to fit that m2 drive in there! and also saved me a bit of cash on that psu side of things! i notice both the 1080's are the same in price, is there any difference in performance between the two?

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
The psu has a 10 year warranty and is Seasonoc the best psu's, changed the case but it an awesome case, the Zotac has a 5 year warranty and if purchased from Overclockers they will help if needed.

The zotac does have a splash of yellow on the backplate( if that bothers you), take a look at the pics.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-FOCUS-PLUS-Gold-FX-650W-PSU-Review

yeah I've just had a little browse through, it looks good! i forgot with all this new hardware these days that there not as power hungry and Don't need big huge power supplies to power it all! Case looks really neat with lots of space for cable management etc! cracking find! Also with the zotac card it has a higher core clock and boost clock than the Gigabyte card as for the colour I'm not too fussed pretty much all of the components are all black so it should look good!

Thanks Micky!

Permabanned

Something like this, with more optimisations, btw too much money go for the case:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,752.57
(includes shipping: £14.70)

Associate
OP

Looks good! you guys have definitely given me food for thought here! I assume a system along these lines would be able to run games in 4k with no problems? also thinking about getting a htc vive after xmas this build should be more than suitable for that kinda stuff right?

Soldato
thanks orbital! i will definitely consider what you have mentioned! i did look at the i7-8700k Coffee Lake cpu but they seem to be very high in demand at the moment and seem to get snapped up instantly! although theres nothing stopping me putting one in my build and just waiting and extra few days on delivery time!

:)
The zotac is a cracking price, and 5 years warranty to boot. Just don't like the 3 years is UK based through reseller then is abroad :(
And all Pascal chips pc to the same point, just their cooler determine how loud, how cool and how long it olds the boost

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom