New build won't POST, lights up, fans spinning, nothing on the screen

Associate
Howdy,

Got my new components from ocuk today - ryzen 5 2600x, asus prime x470 pro and 2x8gb tforce vulcan 3200. Assembled everything and... It doesn't POST. The mobo lights up with the pretty colours, cpu fan is spinning, video card lights up and the fans spin also, but there seems to be no video output.

The cards is an older msi gtx970 - in perfect working condition.

I tried all the usual troubleshooting - reseated the RAM, checked all cables, checked another psu, tried the video in another pc (works!), tried different monitors and cables. Tried a different video card - an even older asus radeon that works in another PC but same problem - no video output when placed on the new mobo... Breadboarded the whole thing, although I didn't see any possible shorts... Still no joy.

At this point I'm strongly suspecting the mobo is DOA. Or could it be the cpu or ram? Less likely, but I have no means of testing those (old system has ddr3).

Would you guys have any suggestions what to do?

Thanks

Soldato
Make sure you have the ram in the correct slots, should be slot 2 and 4, 1 and 3 are the secondary slots and most boards won't post when using those alone.

Also try just one stick of ram in slot 2 on its own.

Check the cpu for bent / missing pins.

Also as your gpu is quite old, try it in one of the other slots, the x8 and even if it has one, the x4 slot.

Finally, does the board have any post led if so which one is it stuck on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom