New Build Works?

Associate
Hey guys, I am planning on purchasing these parts within the next few days and was just double checking that the parts are all compatible and also asking if I am missing anything? has been a while since I built :p

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Stock Code MB-304-MS

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-29000C18 3600MHz Quad Channel Kit - Silver (CMD16GX

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X RGB 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card

Corsair HX1000i 1000W '80 Plus Platinum Digital Modular Power Supply (CP-9020074-UK)

Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E250B/EU)

Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/EU)

LG WH14NS40 Blu-ray Writer Optical Drive 14X BDR

NZXT Phantom 820 Enthusiast Ultra Tower Case - Gun Metal

Corsair Hydro H105 240mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060016-WW )

Soldato
Hi Doug,

Not missing anything if you have the OS and peripherals.

Everything is compatible although be warned that the RAM can often not run higher than 3000/3200MHz on most Z170 boards, and it will also depend on the quality of the IMC on the CPU, as well as the eventual CPU overclock. Just so you're not disappointed if it happens. £200 for 16GB RAM is a lot of money. Also, Skylake is Dual Channel, you don't need Quad kit, and it would probably strain the IMC less if you went with two sticks.

Lot of money on that PSU as well when it isn't necessarily better quality than other offerings for 2/3 the cost. Wattage-wise, 750W would be plenty, and 850W more than enough (for two 1080s).

I have the same case, bought it 3 years ago. Have you looked at the newer models from NZXT and also Phanteks, BeQuiet!, EVGA and others?

Associate
OP
Thank you for your response, by peripherals your mean mouse/keyboard/headset right? if so, yes I have them :)

as for the RAM issue would I be better getting a different motherboard that supports higher mhz? or would these maybe be better?

Vengeance LED 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Red LED

is the fact it is dual channel a hindrance?

IMC = ??

you were not happy with the case? i see they are sold out anyway so yes will look at other options for cases.

ty so much

Associate
OP
am not to bothered about costs, if u can recommend upgrades to any of the parts feel free to, also i am new to the whole water cooling thing :D does that kit come with everything needed or would i need any extras?

Soldato
Thank you for your response, by peripherals your mean mouse/keyboard/headset right? if so, yes I have them :)

Yes. What monitor will you be using?

as for the RAM issue would I be better getting a different motherboard that supports higher mhz? or would these maybe be better?

Up to you. I have seen this Z170 ATX board highly recommended for very fast RAM:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £235.49
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Vengeance LED 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Red LED

is the fact it is dual channel a hindrance?

No it isn't. You won't need more than 16GB for gaming. 32GB would be nice but not essential if you do a lot of video editing.

The internal memory controller on each CPU. Some chips have stronger ones than others and will affect how fast the RAM can clock.

you were not happy with the case? i see they are sold out anyway so yes will look at other options for cases.

ty so much

I would say I loved its looks but was only content with the quality for the price. The tool-free screw mechanisms on both side panels broke easily after a few times of opening the panels, but they also have ordinary screw-holes and screws there to use. The integrated Hue lighting is not the same quality as the Hue module sold separately. The one with the case does not come with any effects and the leds are sparse and not very bright. Mostly there are no deal-breakers, just that newer cases are coming with nice PSU compartments and more unobstructed front airflow to GPU, etc.

am not to bothered about costs, if u can recommend upgrades to any of the parts feel free to, also i am new to the whole water cooling thing :D does that kit come with everything needed or would i need any extras?

The H105 comes with everything. If you aren't bothered about costs then you're good to go, as you're already going for pricey kit. Just wanted to point out those few things before you press the trigger.

Associate
OP
yes, very much appreciated, thankyou :) to be fair I am going to order a new monitor with this build, can recommend one?

and as for the motherboard I was hoping to stick with an MSI one, what about if I went with one of the more expensive MSI boards? would that be an option?

Soldato
yes, very much appreciated, thankyou :) to be fair I am going to order a new monitor with this build, can recommend one?

Monitor is subjective to the user's requirements to great extent. But for that video card, you'd want 2560x1440 or 3440x1440 resolution, to get the best out of it. Then look at refresh rate, higher the better (up to a point - 120/144Hz). Then look at the panel type, whether it's TN, VA or IPS/PLS. Each has its pros and cons, read about them if needed. And then see whether you're willing to pay the extra for Gsync or go with a non-Gsync or even Freesync (which won't be utilized with an Nvidia card) screen. You'll see you'll end up with about 4 or 5 choices, depending on how much you're willing to splash. You'll get more advice on current build quality of models in the Monitors forum.

and as for the motherboard I was hoping to stick with an MSI one, what about if I went with one of the more expensive MSI boards? would that be an option?

Not sure you're going to be guaranteed better results. So I'd stick with the same board or cheaper, even. And decide whether to go for 3000/3200 or take a punt on 3600. Just know that from 3200 to 3600 you won't see any real gains for gaming, only in benchmarks. It depends on how much you're willing to pay just to see "if it might work" or if benching is your thing. If it doesn't run at 3600 you could return it, or keep it and run it lower frequency (and hence end up having paid extra for nothing).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
maybe this monitor? however i see a lot of negativity towards it :p
Asus
PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Slim Bezel Monitor - Black

well the MSI motherboard does say it works with up to 3600mhz ram but il take your word for it and as it makes little difference whilst gaming i will probably stick with the MSI motherboard and get the 32g ram i linked at 3k mhz... what ya think?

Associate
Hi Dougx,

What are you planning to use the PC for? What is the total budget? While your component choice is not a bad, a bit of optimization would do you good :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have assumed a budget based on your initial build above and included monitor and windows 10.

If its for gaming then you could down to the 6600k to save some money

ASUS boards are more reliable than MSI and better compatibility.

Not sure why you wanted a bluray writer. I would get an external device if you really need it. Get one that comes with software though because software is the hardest part about bluray playback.

Total: £2,491.82
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
thank you :D and what needed optimization? as there isn't really a budget and I have read many good things about MSI, if it is just to save money then I am not to bothered. it will be for gaming predominantly and possibly a little streaming/video editing. also only one SSD? is it not best to have one for the OS on its own?

Associate
Allow me to explain. Everybody has a point at which they say, "that costs too much". Somewhere less than that is the budget. Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint but unless you give a figure then there is no upper limit. As a result the below components could be bought without consideration (DO NOT BUY THE COMPONENTS LISTED BELOW- EXAMPLE ONLY)
Optimization is getting the most of X while minimizing Y. In this case its getting the best experience for the least money (or as close to the budget as possible)

Does that make sense?

Total: £8,583.89

Last edited:
Associate
I should add as well, on a more psychological level, if you have not specified a target to hit by getting this build then you will not achieve anything by buying it and thus feel disappointed; feeling like you spent money for no reason.

For the best success a budget is minimum requirement. A list of games you play, and settings you want, resolution etc are useful too.

Associate
OP
I would say max budget is 3k, I will be looking to play most games such as SC2, Battlefield, WoW, H1Z1, Rust etc.... but spending this kind of money I would like my PC to be future proof and able to easily play all new releases... Ofcourse I am happy to upgrade parts if/when needed. As you said I would like to get the best for my budget :D and ofcourse will be streaming/editing occasionally.

Associate
Wonderful :) Sorry if my post was patronizing at all.

It seems your happy building it all yourself, Have you considered custom water cooling at all?

Are you familiar with overclocking? Able to do it yourself?

Associate
OP
yeah but am not in a hurry to overclock, would like to plug and play to some extent, however i have had pre build pc's in the past which is why i wanted to build this myself so i could be more picky with the parts. I have built pc's in the past but not with water cooling.... was going to go with basic kit for now and then work on adding to it as recently went to a gaming event where people had these stunning looking water cooling systems. for now i am just in a hurry to replace my old system and to be able to play some of the games i enjoy hassle free which i assume i can do on that budget without overclocking?

Associate
OP
and i dont mind the patronizing, i am just a tad fussy :p and have had to settle before, that is not my intention this time

Associate
So here is what i think/suggest. I have put together a build based on spending 3k right now. If you want to do that then you'll be very happy with it i'm sure it's all plug and play and happy days. You get get a special SLI direct from Nvidia if you wish too.

What I would recommend is not getting the second 1080 because to be honest, one is enough. Instead i would take the £600 and get some nice cables from cablemod. Ocuk don't sell them in red for this power supply but they are officially available. Get some magnetic LED's in white. again cable mod can help you here. Then use the remainder and start investigating water cooling, it can be expensive but looks sweet. To do it yourself is quite some work though so be aware of that.

You can overclock just fine on the cooler I have specced but it isn't super epic so that will be an incentive to go for water cooling when you're ready :)

At this point i'm just going to say, if you are happy with how i have helped you then please click the affiliate link in my signature before you buy It will give me a small token for helping you and costs you nothing (well nothing more than your 3K build! :)) If you don't want to that's also not a problem.

If you have any more questions please keep asking away.

Total: £3,030.80

This is the cable set you are looking for but its not in red at OCUK. You can also use the 'CableMod Configurator' (just google it)

Total: £78.65
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom