New Build

Associate
Looking for some advice on possible builds for a gaming PC, with a budget of around £750? Already have a 1080p monitor and budget can be stretched slightly. Would really appreciate any and all advice as completely new to this.

Thanks

Permabanned
Looking for some advice on possible builds for a gaming PC, with a budget of around £750? Already have a 1080p monitor and budget can be stretched slightly. Would really appreciate any and all advice as completely new to this.

Thanks

Hi,

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £836.12 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Associate

Thanks
Or go i5-8400/b360/1060 for gaming. recent prices drops on i5-8400 make it a great option for 1080p gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheaper option then the others above, but be advised , not as powerful from both CPU and GPU prospective but will handle 1080p fine and still better then a console .
The CPU is in proportion to the GPU, if you stuck a 6GB 1060 then you become limited by the CPU , specially at 1080p .

South's is on point for power and max budget, as much as I love Aorus x470 boards, pushed budget steeper and GPU not as strong .

CPU is main weakness compared to the above two, but upgradeable in a few years time just slap in 4th Gen ryzen second handle or new if you need to grunt .

Total: £669.52 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Associate
OP
Cheaper option then the others above, but be advised , not as powerful from both CPU and GPU prospective but will handle 1080p fine and still better then a console .
The CPU is in proportion to the GPU, if you stuck a 6GB 1060 then you become limited by the CPU , specially at 1080p .

South's is on point for power and max budget, as much as I love Aorus x470 boards, pushed budget steeper and GPU not as strong .

CPU is main weakness compared to the above two, but upgradeable in a few years time just slap in 4th Gen ryzen second handle or new if you need to grunt .

Total: £669.52 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Cheers, do you think this would be alright for playing most games in the next few years? Want to make sure that it's decent but no need in overspending.

Soldato
Cheers, do you think this would be alright for playing most games in the next few years? Want to make sure that it's decent but no need in overspending.

should handle them fine to be honest, but depends on the games you play. likes of fornite & gs:go should work fine on there.
weakest link would be CPU in the grand scheme but platform has a longer shelf life then Intel and means in a few years time you can slap in a second hand 2019/2020 AM4 based CPU for give the system more power.
with games, they are get more demanding and need more horse power, it just means turning down details and graphical options to play big AAA titles , but thats the nature of PC hardware, buy today and tomorrows tech its double the performance haha

currently AMD do have a slight advantage with DX12 games and nvidia with DX11 but would change when next generation rolls out. AMD also overpriced due to mining and GTX 1060 is still higher then it should be .

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
1600x still on sale with a cheap Cooler ?
not at oc, back to normal pricing. of course nothing to stop OP looking around for better pricing
(and tbh, would recommend looking around as oc pricing for the 1600 isn't nearly the best by far, when their competition is offering it for £15 cheaper and free shipping)

Associate
With all the recent price drops, I think the i5-8400 would be the best option for the budget and usage. Ryzen still slightly behind in 1080p gaming, and the budget isn't really there to buy a decent cooler and board for proper overclocking.

Soldato
^^^ i5 8400 does top the 1600 at gaming and slap it with a £20 cooler to allow it to boost to constant 3.8ghz and its a damn good chip.
ryzen 2600 matches it nicely with XFR 2 or manual overclock to 4.2ghz but then its getting the B350 boards flashed to accept it from the get go

£90 gets you an Aorus B360 Gaming 3 with Superior sound and wifi which z390 chips will receive in the future..
(better then 70% of z370 boards to be honest)

final choice in he market and now makes choosing a system hard work haha

Man of Honour
i5 8400 is definitely the better chip for gaming now, but it's hampered by being a hex core without hyperthreading.
the 1600/2600 (should) probably age better as it's a 6c12t part, and as games become more thread-aware, it's performance should increase
ofc, predicting the future is never an exact science, so take it with a pinch of salt

Associate
OP

Hi all, thanks for your advice. Think I'll go for the above build. Before I blunder into anything, is there any obvious pitfalls with it or should the pc be ready to go once I've got peripherals? Guessing I'll need a copy of windows?

Soldato
Hi all, thanks for your advice. Think I'll go for the above build. Before I blunder into anything, is there any obvious pitfalls with it or should the pc be ready to go once I've got peripherals? Guessing I'll need a copy of windows?

Windows media creation tool and buy a cd key ;)
Or buy copy of windows here for £105

Associate
OP

One last question, would it be worth getting a better power supply? Could pay a bit more if it'd reduce noise, or is 450w more than enough?

Back
Top Bottom