New business - What to Charge?

Permabanned
I have been toying with the idea of starting up a home/small office pc repair and networking business.

Just something for evening's and weekends to begin with then depending on how it goes moving into it full time.

However I am bit unsure of what sort of charges to put in.

Obviously an hourly rate is what you would normally do plus travel expenses, however is it fair top charge someone an hourly rate for virus removal when it can take in excess of 6 hours, but most of which your waiting for scans to complete or tools to download etc?

Do any of you guys do a similar thing? if so what sort of money do you charge?

p.s. please serious answers only.

Soldato
I do this sort of thing, in cornwall, and I charge about £25 an hour, plus £25 callout, but the callout cost includes the first hour (if you get my meening) so that even if I'm only there 10 mins I still get enough to make it worth while.

some people localy charge upto £40 an hour but I don't think that its right for residential customers, maybe for businesses tho.

but yes, charge for your time, tell them that its going to take a long time if it is, so they know.

Soldato
The_KiD said:
Thanks Vent.

Do you do any set charges for things like windows installs or hardware installation?

I do PC servicing, off site etc where I can and for that I charge £20 an hour, but I'd recomend NOT doing fixed price things unless you are ready to spend WAY longer on somthing than you are being payed for.

Permabanned
Have a look at what other high street pc repair places charge and base your prices roughly on that. If I build and set up a pc for someone I usually charge 35, plus sometimes make a small mark up on the parts.

Soldato
jezsoup said:
Have a look at what other high street pc repair places charge and base your prices roughly on that. If I build and set up a pc for someone I usually charge 35, plus sometimes make a small mark up on the parts.

see, if I build a PC, I work out what its gonna cost me and I either charge 25% or £100 ontop of that.

Permabanned
VeNT said:
see, if I build a PC, I work out what its gonna cost me and I either charge 25% or £100 ontop of that.

If I was just doing it for friends of friends or randoms/ peopel at work Id do the same (and have) but mos tof the PC buildign I do is for family and close family friends.

If your going into buisness make sure people are aware that if they need any future help you WILL be billing them. unfortunately with me Ive had a couple of people who will constantly bug me and almost expect me to come sort out their little problems :/

Permabanned
OP
Am not sure I would be wanting to do custom PC builds tbh, from my experience that is more hassle than it's worth, especially when Dell and the likes do PC's for so cheap with warranty and what not.

Permabanned
The_KiD said:
Am not sure I would be wanting to do custom PC builds tbh, from my experience that is more hassle than it's worth, especially when Dell and the likes do PC's for so cheap with warranty and what not.

Exactly:)
The last people who came to me ended up with one, I saw the add in the paper it was about 300 for a bog standard system but with a free printer and 19inch tft, cant argue with that really now!

Man of Honour
The_KiD said:
"Give me a budget and I'll buy the PC for you from Dell then come round and set it up, network, printer, e-mail" - a cool £100 (Dell charge ~£130 for the same service last time I checked) :)

Generally £20 - £30/hr for PC work and nothing should take more than a few hours - if it does you should take the system off-site and be analysing it properly.

And you shouldn't be waiting for stuff to download. CDs and floppies!

HijackThis & Sysinternals kit & a kowledge of Windows gets rid of all the nasty stuff :)

Permabanned
OP
Nice one :)

Another question then, what would you say were essential tools of the trade, what would you bring with you to your customers site?

Both software and actualy tools.

Permabanned
The_KiD said:

Another question then, what would you say were essential tools of the trade, what would you bring with you to your customers site?

Tools wise,
Screw driver (at least 2 cross head of different sizes and one flat head), small pliers, Small clippers, bag of cable ties, Thermal paste/thermal pads, compressed air (dust removal). a bag of assorted PC screws.

PC component wise,
A spare PSU, GFX card, Stick of RAM (couple of each kind but different brands eg DDR DDR2), IDE cables. USB pen drive and spare CPU's

Last edited:
Soldato
The_KiD said:

Hijackthis, Adaware, Spybot, Norton AV, Norton Ghost, AVG free edition, Zonealarm, Memtest, UBCD, latest vir def for Norton, few blank CDs and DVDs to backup, flash drive (2gig are cheap atm), posidrive screwdriver, windows CD, flat head screwdriver (pref longish as its good for working on the case with).

I normaly keep a network card and modem (new) on me incase they are needed as they are cheap. also a PCI/AGP graphics card always is usedful.

I'd say that most of the work with checking components should be done off site, so as long as you have spairs at home your ok.

Permabanned
OP
Vent as your already doing it your a good person to ask.

What about legal requirements?

Do I need insurance?
VAT registered?
Do I pay tax on what I earn?
Do I need a business bank account?

Soldato
The_KiD said:
Vent as your already doing it your a good person to ask.

What about legal requirements?

Do I need insurance?
VAT registered?
You will need all that id expect, as your making an income, but your better off speaking to an accountant or something because you will probably be earning under the limit for tax.

Mark

Wise Guy
Permabanned
The_KiD said:
Do I need insurance?
That depends on exactly what you do and how you do it.

The_KiD said:
VAT registered?
If your turnover (and that's turnover, not profit) of taxable supplies exceeds £61,000 (£70,000 for distance selling) per year, then yes, you do. That, by the way, is a slight simplification of the requirement, but it's broadly right.

You will be liable to pay the VAT you should have been charging, and penalties/interest on late payment, if you should have registered and don't, so don't forget this if you qualify. It'll get very expensive for you if you do, and they catch up with you.

Also, you can register voluntarily even if you don't exceed the threshold at which you must register. There are reasons to do this, and reasons not to.

The_KiD said:
Depends on what you earn from ths, and from other sources. You have an allowance of about £5000 (ish) PA. If your total earned income exceeds that, you'll pay tax on profits. Note, profits not turnover, as with VAT.

But, whether you pay tax or not, you MUST let the Revenue know you're trading, and you'll probably end up filling in a Tax Return every year, whether you actually pay tax or not.

The_KiD said:
No, probably not. But you will need to keep accurate records, and a business account helps.

Also, if you choose to use a trading name, many banks get awkward about paying cheques made out to your trading name into your personal bank account.

So though it probably won't be strictly necessary, it may well make things easier.

Back
Top Bottom