New cables for virgin hub 3

Soldato
Anything with 100% copper (not to be confused with 'solid copper' core) in cat 5e will do fine. Don't pay a fortune, they're very cheap. Excel or similar from online cable retailers are pittance. OcUK technically sell Ethernet but the range is minuscule and often out of stock, but I won't link a 'competitor' just in case.

Soldato
Are you asking about the coax cable from the VM wall plate to the VM hub/router?

That's a point, I hadn't twigged that in the OP due to how it's worded. Just in case - OP, the cable from the wall to the hub is a 'special' grade of coax and is the property (and responsibility) of VM. If it's causing actual issues like packet loss, signal drop etc then get them out. Otherwise, they won't change it, and there'd be no point or gain in doing so. There's a big difference between 'looks a bit rough' and 'is manifestly damaged and causing connection issues'.

Caporegime
Your best bet is to try to get some reputable branded cables, there's an awful lot of CCA (copper clad aluminium) floating around and some cheap cables even have fewer twists (the twists help with signal integrity) to further reduce cost. It's a bit of a minefield really if you're buying from some random seller on an auction site I would buy an extra cable and pull it apart to inspect it.

Back
Top Bottom