New camera first pictures!

Soldato
Yesterday I got my first ever camera, I don't even think I've bought a disposable before, but it was my 21st birthday and I've always toyed with the idea of a 'proper' camera. I've just started an illustration degree, which is what its primary use will be. I was with my dad and sister, so took a few pictures before we went and met the rest of my family in central, where it was raining and rammed thus I didn't take any photos there. (apart from in the pub, which was a bit of a nightmare with the settings!)

The camera is a Nikon D5100 with a VR 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens. I have an extremely rough idea of what is what, but not really. If anybody has any recommendations of some good reading material please post some links! Any advice or things I need to know as well? :eek:

The pictures are straight from the camera, which I can't really give an opinion on yet other than that it feels lovely, and as my sister commented has a satisfying shutter sound :p

dadwindow.jpg

Dad in the morning

pastache.jpg

Movember. ^ I didn't know he had this until arrival, it was a bit of a shock as I haven't seen him yet this month!

breakfasty.jpg

Such a good breakfast!

beerqo.jpg

The first birthday beers

sispub.jpg

Sis playing spot the difference

And my favourite pic of the day

sisel.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Associate
The D5100 is a very capable camera, I hope you get the most out of it :)

I heartily recommend the Digital Photography Book series by Scott Kelby; I use them as a reference most of the time as he doesn't blind you with science. Read up on the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO, once you understand that you're already half way there, composure (the other half) is something you pick up over time.

Back
Top Bottom