1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Car, backward move?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by kai, 14 Dec 2014.

1. Kenai

Capodecina

Problem is, just saying "I wanted a new car" then leads to how you selected a Peugeot and without all the cheapness and money saving ideas there isn't much else going for them :p

2. Amraam

Mobster

I agree. But then there are people like me, that sell their car in June and still haven't found a replacement 11 days before Xmas :D

3. Dogbreath

Capodecina

So you've paid to have all these things fixed, so they won't need doing again for a long while and then you spend thousands extra on a new car? Sorry, but you are daft, but at least the new owner of your Volvo should be happy :)

4. 4T5

Man of Honour

I really like those Volvos in 2 Dr, I met a trick one out on the road when out on my bike & it went like Billy O. :cool:

Where as those new Pugs look disgusting & are as boring as ****.

Just my opinion of course. :)

5. commited

Soldato

So you fixed all this stuff for the new owner?

90,000 miles is hardly high, it seems like a really bizarre choice :(

6. Acme

Caporegime

Mental...

7. kai

Mobster

needed* i informed the seller of this, all of which she was happy with. I still received 1.5k over book price.

In terms of the Peugeot it did tick a lot of the boxes, it will serve me well for a good 2-3 years, albeit a bit boring. It will be relatively cheap to run, insure and tax. I did look at a number of cars, but to get something relatively new or premium (Audi, BMW, Merc) and low mileage i would have needed to spend a little more.

I did shop around, and test drive the following before arriving at the Peugeot.

Hyundai i30 (very nice car, a lot of standard extras would - of needed to go for finance option, as it was slightly out of budget).
    VW Polo (holds resell value well, granted! but didn't enjoy the test drive)
    Nissan Juke (not for me)

Last edited: 14 Dec 2014
  8. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

You did not receive £1.5k over the book price as the book price for a private sale on a 2008 Volvo S40 R-Design is significantly more than £3000.

9. matthab

Mobster

You walked into the dragons den lol. Your choice will always be the wrong choice here, everyone has there reasons.

10. Lopéz

Man of Honour

That's like going to look at houses and viewing a new build terrace, a flat and then a farm. Very random!

11. cdcopyman

Hitman

i had a 2005 volvo s40 , 1.8 petrol , over the 6yrs i had it i only had one issue , and thats the alternator went on it. mileage was on around 170 thou before i got rid and got a v8 Porsche cayenne :o:D now im inn a 2ltr diesel f10, eating up the the miles :(:D
    The Volvo driven as good as a 3 series bmw and i would have another volvo if i was looking for one :) cant contribute anything about peugeot's sadly :(

12. sovietspybob

Mobster

I'd class that as a backwards move.

I can't comment on the 308 as i've not sat in one let alone driven one but i have been in my fair share of modernish french stuff and it's all pretty terrible. Especially that 1.6 diesel engine, i've used that in quite a few cars and it's always terrible.

13. Iamzod

Mobster

I've done this twice, once with our Grand Cherokee which was a criteria of needing to be as heavy as possible & produce a decent amount of torque. We went out to look & came back with the car about 3 hours later.

Second time we did it with a caravan (ok not a car but same idea) popped into a caravan place in Norwich whilst we were away for the week on holiday down there & just passing by, saw something we really liked & came away £10k worse off. We weren't even looking for a new caravan at the time. :D

14. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

im currently thinking , maybe a mondeo would have been a better buy..

15. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

I think the best buy was the 2008 Volvo S40 he already had. It wasn't as if he was driving around in a crap clunker and now he's got something great, is it?

16. bradUK

Hitman

Gutted.

17. DKong

Gangster

Would have been cheaper to keep the Volvo for another 2-3 years.

18. Amraam

Mobster

Yup, it seems like it is impossible to make the right choice here. I always appreciate help, but you follow the advice of one group, just to spark outrage with another...

19. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

That isn't really the case though, is it?

Which group said the best thing to do with the Volvo was trade it in at the first garage you could find that had 'a car' irrespective of what it was?

20. Jez

Caporegime

Genuinely would rather have had the Volvo out of this pair. A higher class of car than the Peugeot for sure and it sounds as though the Volvo was fairly sorted after you had done those bits to it. That said, i am sure that the Peugeot will be economical and reliable which is clearly the goal, so its not all bad.