New Car, backward move?

Soldato
wtf_zps5dfc3c7e.jpg

You got rid of a 2008 Volvo with 90k on the clock having spent a wedge on getting a few service items replaced

......... and bought a Peugeot!!

laugh_zpsscku79mi.gif

Man of Honour
it will serve me well for a good 2-3 years, albeit a bit boring. It will be relatively cheap to run, insure and tax

Insurance and tax savings probably will only equate to about a grand a year; potentially other running costs will be lower but I imagine it will also depreciate more than the Volvo.

I'm no expert (or have any knowledge at all) on typical repair schedules for your old car but if you've done all that work including timing belt in the past two months there is a school of thought that would suggest it is worth hanging on to simply because those items have been recently replaced and thus less likely to fail.

That said only you can judge how much you prefer the new car to the old one, so over 3 years it may work out OK for you.

Caporegime
Lol even my insurance and tax is "only" £900. :p

BUT

- Petrol cost approx. £3500 per year in the Volvo
- Diesel will cost approx. £2000 a year in the Peugeot
- Will take less than 3 years to make up the money. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Unfortunately im in the "what the heck" camp. Spend money on car, immediately sell up...seems illogical.
But back to the thread title probably not a backward step so much as just sideways.
Basically I hope you enjoy your new car and doesn't really matter what anyone thinks but I cant imagine anywhere id rather be less than in a <100hp French diesel car...sorry ;)

Hawker

Thug
Soldato
If you can afford it, and you are happy with the car, then its fine surely?

I'm tempted by a diesel. I saw diesel for 126.99 (euros) compared to Petrols 133.9 today. :(

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
needed*

This was MY logic, people might disagree - but its a public forum and i expected a diverse set of opinions. :)

I clearly stated above, all the work required needed doing! something that i was going to need to fork out in the next few weeks.

Timing belt, 2 new wheel bearings, something went wrong with the suspension and steering column that need replacing, plus standard wear and tear, it also needed new pads, tyres and a new front brake disc.
With a decent set of new tyres, I could have easily seen this run up to £1,000. (if not more)

Tax was due next month - year on the Volvo was £240.00

Service (due early February) - £130.00

Insurance due 12th Jan £574.00(last year renewal)

if I take away this year’s insurance (Peugeot £318.00) no service required, no tax, as garage have done both (tax is £30) a year. plus no MOT for next two years
£1,944.00 – £256.00 (this year’s insurance saving) = £1,688.00

New Car - £3,800

Volvo cost* repair, tax etc. - £1,688
To change car – total cost. £2,112.00

Well that was my logic, and reasoning behind it. Just over £2,000 to buy a car not 12 months old, very low mileage albeit boring for 2-3 years, but it needs to be a motorway boat doing 20-20k a year with cheaper running costs.

I can easily see me saving the 2,000 in fuel, tax and insurance over this 2-3yr period.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've been on the end of one of these threads...twice :D

My logic when car buying is fundamentally flawed, and OcUK has given me a rough time about it. Will I learn? Probably not, but they do make a lot of sense and I do take a little bit of advice on board each time, just maybe not enough :p

If you're happy then that's all that matters but I must admit, it does seem a bizarre move given the reasoning.

Transmission breaker
Don
Yer, its not a good move by any standard I would use.

However, I did move to a slow, crappy Renault once from a decent sport coupe, and got a lot of stick for it on here. Mmy circumstances were quite different though, and it was a actually a sensible choice.

I would say this is not Can you give the car back? It might be worth considering it, and seeing what else you can get :p

Associate
Made this mistake once and never again, moved from a nice sporting pretentions astra that needed a bit of work, to a new but dull diesel clio. Ended up selling the clio after less than a year as it was utterly depressing to drive. In the end the Clio lost about 33% in depreciation in that 1st year, but I was just glad to be rid of it.

I convinced myself the savings would be worth it but that was far from the case.

Soldato
The engines are OK, its the electrics you have to be wary of on French cars :p

That and all the bits that drop off of course :D

The new iteration of frenchies are actually pretty decent on all fronts....problem is pretty much every single new car on sale can match that now (excluding the excessively cheap outliers from china etc)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27347202 said:
That isn't really the case though, is it?

Which group said the best thing to do with the Volvo was trade it in at the first garage you could find that had 'a car' irrespective of what it was?

Talking in general ;)

Back
Top Bottom