New Car Decisions - Opinions Wanted

Soldato
TL;DR - want a new car, needs to fit 2 car seats and a 3rd person, £15k max, narrowed it down to a few, opinions wanted.

Another one of my what car threads....

Current Car:
A 2005 E61 530i M Sport. Bought it in July 2017 and done roughly 20k miles in it. 102k total. I was working in London at the time and doing very few miles so wanted something cheap, petrol and spacious. It needs some work doing to it that will probably cost ~£600-800 (new radiator, new passenger airbag sensor, new tailgate switch, VANOS solenoid, respray the front bumper). I estimate with the work done it's probably worth £4000. I can get around £2.5k trade in without haggling but would rather not do this.

Current commute is 11 miles each way mostly B roads with one 2 mile section of NSL. I do around 12k miles per year and am the only driver in the house (trying to force my wife to pass her test!!!). I want a newer, more reliable, spacious car to do the daily commute, ferry the family about on weekends, to Europe for short trips and the occasional trip to Devon. I've got a 2 year old and another one due in June. I need to consider getting 5 people in the car as a few of my family members don't drive. I occasionally drive into London for work and on weekends so wanted something Euro 6 but since decided I'd rather pay than narrow my options down as we'd be talking ~£100-150 a year in charges.

I sold my E46 M3 CS to fund some home renovations so down to a single car. As I still enjoy driving I originally budgeted £25k to buy a car that can do everything but decided that it was completely pointless as no such car exists in my budget; RS4 (too small), F10 M5 (boot not big enough), C63 AMG (too small).
So figured to drop the budget to £15k and then use the extra £10k for something like another M3, or 370Z etc. Not too fussed for now. I can't afford a C7 RS6 unfortunately.

I've narrowed the selection down but am interested to hear opinions and if I've missed any obvious choices. I'm a bit of a BMW fanboy, the last 5 cars I've had were BMW.

F11 530/535d M Sport - just a newer version of my car. Finding a 535i M Sport with options such as pro nav, sports auto, M Sport Plus etc is near impossible so decided to consider the diesel.
Pros - spacious, everything I want as a driver i.e. good nav, USB/wireless streaming, reasonably quick, look good, dynamically sound.
Cons - not sure if the middle passenger seat is big enough, diesel may be the wrong choice for my commute as it will be barely warm by the time I arrive, I've already had a 5 Series and not sure I want another.

E70 X5 30d/40d.
Pro's - massive, 7 seat option, comfortable, familiar layout, look good
Con's - expensive to run, based on the same platform as my current car, potential for big bills, diesel isn't suited to my annual mileage or commute.

Lexus RX450h facelift model 2012 onwards - I have a soft spot for Lexus and really like the RX450h.
Pro's - petrol, economical for the size of the car, sounds nice, reasonably quick, very reliable compared to the BMW's, spacious, middle passenger would be more comfortable as there's no transmission tunnel
Con's - tech is not as good as BMW, dull to drive, CVT gearbox, interior not as nice as BMW, boot is shallow due to the batteries.

Also considered:
MB GLE - I prefer the X5
Volvo XC90 - I prefer the X5
Touareg - as above
340i - too small

If you got this far thanks for reading! Any opinions would be welcome.

Soldato
OP
It's not really, the E60 was rubbish and the F10 a return to form for the 5 Series.

Easily the best car in your list.

The E70 X5 is literally an E60 4x4.

Well it is in terms of size, and in my E61 the rear middle seat is a squeeze with 2 isofix seats either side. I really didn't think the E61 was that bad, I like mine. Much more solid than the E90.

Associate
Rx450h would be my choice. I had a similar decision a few years ago as we had a 5 mile commute to nursey and wanted a larger car which made diesels a bit pointless.

So decided on a rx400h now it was pretty dull to drive but it's got a decent 0-30 and the cvt isn't too bad once you get used to it. Also over the 3 years I had it I only ever paid for routine servicing items nothing went wrong.

Soldato
Maybe not luxury but certainly very reasonable, safe and spacious is the new RAV4 hybrid (2.5 litre hybrid with poke) - drove one last week and was impressed.

Might be over budget though

Associate
Of those I'd be looking at the F11. Probably the 530d since you should get a newer/better spec/lower mileage example than a 535d and finding a 535i as you've mentioned will be difficult. The N57 3.0 diesel is actually quite nice and refined, especially in an F10/F11.

Man of Honour
I test drove the 535d and did not find it sufficiently better to justify the compromise of an older higher mileage car.

I have no regrets.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I looked at a lot of cars to cover the same scenario, and sadly there isnt a lot that can do it, i tried, the E class, F10 5'er, and the A6, even the mahoosive Superb didnt quite have the width.

All the smaller SUV's were far too small, so CX5,Tiguan,Rav etc. I ended up with the XC60 R design, it just seem to have enough space for 3 seats or 2 seats and the mrs (who sadly hasnt dropped down to her fighting weight just yet :p), I didnt try the X5.

Best for space ime were the grand picasso,Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra and the CRV as they had 3 individual seats. You will struggle to find an estate to do the job, they might be fine for shorter trip but any big holiday and you will have complaints from the person in the back.

Permabanned
I looked at a lot of cars to cover the same scenario, and sadly there isnt a lot that can do it, i tried, the E class, F10 5'er, and the A6, even the mahoosive Superb didnt quite have the width.

All the smaller SUV's were far too small, so CX5,Tiguan,Rav etc. I ended up with the XC60 R design, it just seem to have enough space for 3 seats or 2 seats and the mrs (who sadly hasnt dropped down to her fighting weight just yet :p), I didnt try the X5.

Best for space ime were the grand picasso,Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra and the CRV as they had 3 individual seats. You will struggle to find an estate to do the job, they might be fine for shorter trip but any big holiday and you will have complaints from the person in the back.

That's a power of cars you've tried.
I buy a car because I like the look of it, sod the luggage space.

How do you evaluate the size and capacity of each vehicle ?

Do you troop your family down the local Motor Mile and try strapping the wife, the kids, the in laws,
the dog and holiday luggage in every model in each dealership ?

What a mare you must be, "oh no, here comes crazy man again ".:p

Soldato
OP
I went to Sytner Sunningdale round the corner from me as they had a really lovely Lexus RX450h F Sport in stock. I asked them why they are selling Lexus and they took it in as a px but because it was such a nice car, fair enough. 2013 in pearlescent white, 50k miles, up for £21.5k.
So I took the RX out for a test drive and it was pretty much as I expected it. Comfortable, loads of toys and very well built. Not exciting but I wasn't expecting it to be. It reminded me far too much of my mums hybrid Auris!
I tried to do a deal with them but they wouldn't move as much as I wanted so I left. On the way out I spied an 15 plate X5 40d M Sport for a very good price....so some how ended up buying a car double my budget and not a petrol or hybrid as I originally wanted. Managed to get £500 off the sticker price and an extra years warranty.
#manmaths

Soldato
Good choice, it's a lovely car. We have an m50d and it just felt 'right' compared to everything else we tried. Got a cracking deal also.

Loved the Cayenne (as choice 2) with the epic 4.2 V8 Diesel and PASM, but in comparison to the X5 it was 3yrs older, had another 25k miles, plus the media screen and instrument cluster were very poor.

Now...... Pics :p

Back
Top Bottom