New car delays.

Associate
Agree not totally about cost. I would prefer the EV option rather than fossil fuel even if the EV wasn't as cost effective as I find the driving experience so much better, and I know some would choose ICE over EV. I do struggle to understand that outside of certain niches (e.g. if you love the sound of a V8 in a supercar) -- I really can't understand why anyone would want a diesel which sounds awful in their £50k saloon or SUV.

Associate
I totally understand everyone's situation is different - but when you're spending £30k plus, and especially £50k plus I think there's a lot of people who are going to end up spending a lot more on an ICE car plus running costs because they didn't look at an EV. It's rare that people do a spreadsheet to work out the true costs!

I simply couldn't imagine spending any sort of large chunk of money on an ICE in 2022 unless I had a really really strong reason (a real reason, not a false perception or lack-of-knowledge reason)

Is anyone considering the huge depreciation of an expensive ICE car or is everyone on a lease/PCP where it's no concern?

I bought my cars new or about a year old, have had 3 of them now for over a decade and 90k+ miles, depreciation is not a consideration, should I get shot of one, anything I get back after a full use is a bonus but has not factored in to any future calculations as you can't predict what the world is going to be like in a few years and what might happen, I could afford to buy what I did at the time that is all.

Am I happy that due to the current market I can get 50% of the value of my car back after 11yrs, sure I am, but I could never have predicted that and as such never entered in to the buying decision.

Last edited:
Associate
Ideal world I see. What about the people who can’t charge at home ? What about the 50p/kWh fast chargers ? What about the people who do a lot of driving and don’t want to pay more than a 60mpg diesel and wait ages to charge?

Just because it doesn’t make sense to you doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone.

Electric is cheap now as it’s not subject to transport tax like liquid fuel is
What about the 25 - 30mpg cars.
Amazing how 60mpg+ is quoted for ice.
On the flip side 5pkwh is quoted for ev users.

I'm on a standard tariff as it ended in March, new electric tariffs are eye watering.
I pay 28ppkwh and my 2010 bmw 320d got me 30mpg to work and back.

Apart from buying cost i save on fuel every week after the switch.
I was switching anyway so no unexpected outlay.

Associate
What about the 25 - 30mpg cars.
Amazing how 60mpg+ is quoted for ice.
On the flip side 5pkwh is quoted for ev users.

I'm on a standard tariff as it ended in March, new electric tariffs are eye watering.

Apart from buying cost i save on fuel every week after the switch.
I was switching anyway so no unexpected outlay.

That's all down to buying the right car for your mileage, you must be a lot of city stop/start for such low figures from a diesel, that is how our diesel is so bad, its a 2 tonne SUV doing school runs, we have it for towing purposes, it replaced another diesel that was fine but we did not realize the impact the DPF would have on its economy running like that, it would be much better as a petrol or EV for what it is used for daily.

My own car is a petrol and nudges 50mpg commuting when it was doing motorway runs, our non DPF diesel before the current one would do 60+ on a similar run and it was a 7 seat SUV so don't think it is unreasonable to say you can get this from ICE, just about having the right car for your journey, these days I now do stop/start across Bristol and only just nudge 40mpg.

I am hoping our new PHEV will do at least 3mpkwh, factoring in 15% AC charging loss estimate that'd put it about 65-70mpg equivalent in town on 28p/unit which would be great for a big SUV but equally if it only did 2mpkwh it'd still be ~45mpg, anything less than that and it will have been a waste of time on the fuel side and only good for the local clean air benefits etc. As out car rarely goes above 50mph it should end up being fairly efficient.

And to come back on thread I have finally had my order I placed early March accepted and given a date for my motor build of October, sounds quite normal, will it actually arrive, I was expecting next year to be honest.

Last edited:
Associate
Presumably it was a short journey? In which case a 2 litre diesel was never the right car to buy if thats most of your usage.
25 mile round trip through brum.
I had the car before the job.
Out of all the 320d models mine was the bad one. 184bhp auto one.

It only got 45 ish on a motorway jaunt

Associate
I am hoping our new PHEV will do at least 3mpkwh, factoring in 15% AC charging loss estimate that'd put it about 65-70mpg equivalent in town on 28p/unit which would be great for a big SUV but equally if it only did 2mpkwh it'd still be ~45mpg, anything less than that and it will have been a waste of time on the fuel side and only good for the local clean air benefits etc. As out car rarely goes above 50mph it should end up being fairly efficient.

Please don't pay 28p/unit for charging at home.. the highest you should be looking at is 7.5p on Octopus Go or 6p on EDF's new tariff. That'd work out at the equivalent of 250-280mpg from a cost perspective.

Associate
Our rate is less than that, more a reference to m4mite figure, but the cheap off peak whilst great for cars is not amazing for peak rate and our family home where you have electric everything used during the day. Once we have solar + battery installed it might make sense but I wouldn't assume these off peak rates will exist long term because the more EVs that exist charging off peak the less off peak there will actually be, it will all ultimately be peak :D

Permabanned
Will probably end up with one next, depends on how wife's car scheme works in her new place. Allowance was good for us, the flexibility. Think new place has company cars and they are usually tedious lists of dross to choose from. :(

Associate
Please don't pay 28p/unit for charging at home.. the highest you should be looking at is 7.5p on Octopus Go or 6p on EDF's new tariff. That'd work out at the equivalent of 250-280mpg from a cost perspective.

You need to know this​

Right now, energy prices are at record highs, and most homes will be better off staying with their current energy supplier for the winter.
If your fixed term is coming to an end, don't choose a new tariff or switch supplier.
Instead, let your supplier automatically move you to their default tariff, so your prices are protected by the Government's Energy Price Cap.
Would you like an email when prices fall?
Thats on the Octopus energy page when i look for a swap over.

Associate
Octopus will still let you switch to Octopus Go if you call them.

Energy companies don’t really want new customers at the moment because the price cap means they are not making any profit, but Octopus will set up new customers for Go.

Associate
Just make sure you do the math on it, I can fully charge the PHEV at least twice (use upto 46Kw) at my current standard rate in a week and still save money over switching to an EV charging tariff on Octopus due to our daily usage and the extra unit cost on the Octopus standard rate.

Last edited:
Associate
Doesn't matter if it is a PHEV or EV, if you don't do the mileage it is the same, if you are going to do <200 miles a week (equivalent to UK average mileage) in a little ev you'd struggle to use 46kw, so the saving won't be there if like me you have heavy daily use on other things in your house, just mentioning as it is easy for some to think ooh 7.5p Ill save a fortune.

Associate
Back on track- assuming that EV and ICE costs are roughly the same - why order a brand new ICE car in 2022?

For me the climate impact is important though I understand some people are not concerned about that, but also ICE just seems so old fashioned to drop that amount of money on.

Associate
Because the charging infrastructure is rubbish, the cars charging speed is rubbish and the public charging rates are rubbish, all things that will be fixed overtime, it is not there yet,

Note, said as someone who tows his car and caravan around the country and Europe where an EV takes a > 50% hit to range and requires you to unhitch to charge every 100 miles :rolleyes:

Associate
I totally get the caravan point - I wouldn’t get one if I needed to tow anything huge.

The other points though are far from true. For example I drove 300 miles the other day with one 8 minute charge.

If you can’t charge at home it is a bit tricky and I’d think twice just now.

So if you can charge at home and you don’t have a caravan- really interested in reasons for spending big money on a combustion car.

Soldato
Think it’s sensible to wait a year or two for the majority who can’t be arsed to research their trips and find the optimal charge points to start getting into EV ownership tbh.

The long distance trips can be a ball ache at the moment, lots of chargers are just 50kW and often there’s not a huge number of them. On top of that reliability isn’t perfect and when it’s 2 chargers at a service station having one out of action is a major issue. The higher powered chargers are coming online but still not the norm and you have to specifically aim for them if you want to use an ultra-rapid. Give it a few years and it won’t even be something you have to think about, wherever you go there should be somewhere to top up easily and quickly. Every service station will have 6-12 ultra-rapids and loads more sites like the forecourts just off the big A roads and motorways.

Back
Top Bottom