New car delays.

Soldato
Back on track- assuming that EV and ICE costs are roughly the same - why order a brand new ICE car in 2022?

For me the climate impact is important though I understand some people are not concerned about that, but also ICE just seems so old fashioned to drop that amount of money on.
For a second car I'm with you. I'm swapping my Ibiza FR Tech for a Leaf e+. The Ibiza has done about 400 city miles in 2 years and owes me nothing.

The Leaf can't do a day trip to either family tho (200 there and back), can't tow, and can't cope with long distance holidays without lots of faff and preplanning.

Man of Honour
For a second car I'm with you. I'm swapping my Ibiza FR Tech for a Leaf e+. The Ibiza has done about 400 city miles in 2 years and owes me nothing.

The Leaf can't do a day trip to either family tho (200 there and back), can't tow, and can't cope with long distance holidays without lots of faff and preplanning.

I agree with this. It's likely how I'll move to an EV I'd imagine as it just makes sense. All the benefits of EV (zero emissions in town, no need to fill it up, quiet and refined low speed use) without the disadvantages.

Caporegime
Back on topic. My mini electric I ordered start of April is due end sept. Thanks to all the tax benefits it’s a no brainer

I see mini have now dropped the level 1 basic and focusing on the level 2 and 3. Active cruise is no longer available either

Associate
Engine noise and manual gearbox would be my other main reasons.
Having driven a manual(nearly 30 years alone on a manual), a number of automatics and an ev, what benefits does a manual have over an ev?
Engine noise? Unless it's a sporty note then what benefit does noise pollution have?
Truly interested.

Caporegime
Having driven a manual(nearly 30 years alone on a manual), a number of automatics and an ev, what benefits does a manual have over an ev?
Engine noise? Unless it's a sporty note then what benefit does noise pollution have?
Truly interested.
Turns driving into a pleasure not a chore ?

Associate
I have had numerous fast petrol cars / sports cars and my current EV is the most enjoyable to own and drive overall than any of them.

Yes a manual petrol sports car is slightly more fun for that moment on a windy country road for a few moments, but I would never swap back.

If I was wealthy enough to have a selection of cars then there might be a petrol sports car there but otherwise it just feels old fashioned and something to reminisce about.

Associate
Turns driving into a pleasure not a chore ?
Very much this, controlling a manual rwd drive car at speed on track is a skill, also just for enjoying a country drive feeling involved and connected, something no EV can deliver.

My track car has a crappy 4 pot but it has itbs revs to 9k, love it, completely anti social, it deliver driver involvement, steering you can feel, is it as fast as an EV, no but fun every time, great way to waste money

Caporegime
I have had numerous fast petrol cars / sports cars and my current EV is the most enjoyable to own and drive overall than any of them.

Yes a manual petrol sports car is slightly more fun for that moment on a windy country road for a few moments, but I would never swap back.

If I was wealthy enough to have a selection of cars then there might be a petrol sports car there but otherwise it just feels old fashioned and something to reminisce about.
Ok we get it. You are a vegan EV driver. No need to ram it down everyone’s throat.

What’s the deal with vegan or EV drivers who try and convince everyone else to join their cult ?

Associate
Ok we get it. You are a vegan EV driver. No need to ram it down everyone’s throat.

What’s the deal with vegan or EV drivers who try and convince everyone else to join their cult ?
Totally not a vegan :cry:

A car lover who is glad that EVs offer the next generation of fun and amazing cars to allow us to continue driving without destroying the planet and the climate.

EVs fit many use cases far better than ICE, but are often not considered due to lack of awareness

Associate
Very much this, controlling a manual rwd drive car at speed on track is a skill, also just for enjoying a country drive feeling involved and connected, something no EV can deliver.

My track car has a crappy 4 pot but it has itbs revs to 9k, love it, completely anti social, it deliver driver involvement, steering you can feel, is it as fast as an EV, no but fun every time, great way to waste money
My ev motor revs to 10.5k albeit silently.
And when was the public highway a track for racing.

You do know there are ev fitted classics that have gears don't you?

Soldato
something no EV can deliver.
do you think that's perpetually true ?, if the ev is 1. not too heavy (was reading the obituary of the i3 and its legacy of chassis design/materials) and 2. a torque delivery resembling an ICE, with fake paddles, so that without traction control intervention(fly by wire) you can anticipate level of grip, rwd slide - and .... take back control.

... on new car delivery times

tesla lease finance in the usa now reported to be mandating that leasees can no longer buy them at the end of the term (as was usually possible there) to enable Tesla to control the 2nd hand market, and even use them for hertz/avis supply - sneeky.

interesting vw are starting this too https://www.electrive.com/2022/04/14/vw-launches-online-leasing-of-meb-models/

potential paradigm shift - you can have your ev tomorrow if you lease from us, and within our ecosystem we can then control/monetize the 2nd hand value(eg. allocate as hire cars) -
are they legally obliged to provide a monetary purchase option.
( different market, but afaik Sky will only rent a box to you, or long ago rental of vhs recorders .. both have negligible residual value though )

Caporegime
Driving in a near silent, non gear changing malarkey machine is a chore ?
Still just a vessel of transportation isn’t it. A trains also does what you describe.

I think people forget that some people like driving for the feeling to gives them rather than just a mode of transport. Ironic on a overlcocking forum when a pc just does excel right ?

Associate
Still just a vessel of transportation isn’t it. A trains also does what you describe.

I think people forget that some people like driving for the feeling to gives them rather than just a mode of transport. Ironic on a overlcocking forum when a pc just does excel right ?

So would you choose a 4pot 2.0 diesel or the EV version of the same car given a winding A road with no traffic?

Caporegime
So would you choose a 4pot 2.0 diesel or the EV version of the same car given a winding A road with no traffic?
I’d chose the EV as a vessel to get from a to b. But then I wouldn’t have that choice cause I’d have something different

Last edited:
Soldato

Most people on this forum can get to grips with "horses for courses". Folk aren't whinging that their work laptops can't run Crysis because it is sans dedicated GPU - it is intended for a different job, where reliability and noise are favoured significantly over raw GPU power, RGB and loud fans.

If you get your rocks off stirring petrol in a daily driver where you are often travelling at peak time for short distance, then more fool you. I'll enjoy my heated seats, quiet cabin, and latte.

Permabanned

What EV do you have anyway?

Back
Top Bottom