New car delays.

Caporegime
I’m amazed the number of people still ordering expensive combustion cars. Are you happy to pay insane fuel prices? I understand the fiesta’s and polo’s because there aren’t any <£15k EVs yet. There are so many great EVs now in the £25k-£60k space I can’t see how it makes sense to pay so much for a combustion car, then pay 10x as much to fuel it.

If you’re looking at monthly costs you can put a £150-£200/month fuel saving towards the car cost (or just save the money).

Still no EV with decent towing capacity so any farmer or horse owning person has to buy ICE atm.

Caporegime
Most people on this forum can get to grips with "horses for courses". Folk aren't whinging that their work laptops can't run Crysis because it is sans dedicated GPU - it is intended for a different job, where reliability and noise are favoured significantly over raw GPU power, RGB and loud fans.
If you get your rocks off stirring petrol in a daily driver where you are often travelling at peak time for short distance, then more fool you. I'll enjoy my heated seats, quiet cabin, and latte.
But not everyone uses a car to commute in peak time which was kind of the point I was making.

What’s the deal with heated seats, quiet cabins and latte ? Are they only for people without a manual gearbox

Man of Honour
I've driven numerous EV's, Tesla Performance variants, the iPace, Polestar, etc. They are certainly very good, I'd have one and it would do the job, although there are obvious issues around charging that will affect many people, at least for now. Theoretically that situation may improve, but it may also get worse as millions more EV's appear on the road.

However, despite their raw acceleration, they don't quite engage in the same way a lighter high performance ICE car can. Sure, you might prefer the EV and that's understandable, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Of course if it's a case of a 2 litre diesel vs a decent electric car, it's a different story. However, they are generally expensive, regardless of fuel costs, and the sustainability aspect is a bit misleading - the manufacturing, long term battery disposal planning and % of environmental damage cars actually cause globally are all points to consider.

Soldato
But not everyone uses a car to commute in peak time which was kind of the point I was making.

What’s the deal with heated seats, quiet cabins and latte ? Are they only for people without a manual gearbox
As someone who used to smoke roll-up ciggs, it was the best I could come up with to highlight how annoying manuals were in a rush hour commute (and I knew I missed the marque but cracked on anyway :p).

But yeah if your point is you aren't using a car to commute in peak time, and you can afford the dinosaur juice, then crack on with something super fun :cool:

Man of Honour
Driving in a near silent, non gear changing malarkey machine is a chore ?

For lots of people, yes, it is. I don't agree with them - but I'd suggest the majority of licensed drivers in the UK would classify driving as a chore, not something they do for enjoyment.

Soldato
Going back to new car delays, I found this part of the SMMT data interesting from April.

"April’s decline was driven primarily by a -33.3% decrease in large fleet registrations, with manufacturers continuing to prioritise private consumers given robust demand, which helped this market segment see a modest increase of 4.8%. Smaller business registration volumes fared better, growing by 15.4%."

So private individual vehicles are being prioritised above fleet deals, makes sense for margins, and it seems that the robustness in the second hand market pricing isn't going to decline soon, especially nearly new, as that is where the vast majority of cars come from the large fleet returns. That means there is going to be overhang in the market once the new car shortages do subside, as there will be less fleet cars to push back to the used market for at least 18-24 months, or more.

I guess this means that new car buyers are going to be even more likely than before, since the used pricing is putting people off, and that will in-turn make the new car waiting list longer, it's almost a vicious circle.

Associate
It is either that or wait until some normality returns, which it will, my new car purchase was driven by the fact that a nearly new one would cost me more and I was not in a rush, between placing my order and the wait the cars list price has also increased in price by a few k but fortunately I still have the old price with a discount.

Soldato
I think now the big boys like cinch and wbac can essentially price fix second hand cars, and new car OEMs can capture more of the used car value (i.e. not just a race to the bottom) then they'll be monitoring what to do with new car supply closely. Just pumping the market full of cheap new cars and getting rid of the wait list, clearly being considered.

Associate
OP
From RR

I have just received an email from the factory regarding the last run that they are doing for the 22MY Range Rover Velar to which you have placed an order for.

I have explained to them that we do not want this one to be built as you are waiting for the 3D Surround camera and they have confirmed there is still no eta for this option and for the next model year 23MY this will again remain as not an option either as standard or at a cost. Currently your Range Rover Velar that we have loaded will come with a rear camera and a forward facing camera just not the 3D surround part.

I just wanted to ensure you have full information as I cannot guarantee if the price goes up on the new model that there will be any offer of price protection etc.

Just cannot be arsed to wait any longer and ordered one, the 23MY has only seat upgrade as an extra and we already upgraded that option anyway. Plus god knows how much will be missing off the new model, they keep missing up option packages taken things off and added them to options list

The car is due to be built on the 17th June with arrival date to ourselves the 8th July. 16 months after initial order, oh well.

Caporegime
This year so it happens. Well reportedly.

So people who tow decent weights will finally have just one choice and its the ugliest car I have ever seen? We need lots more choice before towing people will start swapping over. Until then they will keep buying ICE cars.

Soldato
So people who tow decent weights will finally have just one choice and its the ugliest car I have ever seen? We need lots more choice before towing people will start swapping over. Until then they will keep buying ICE cars.

One thing we do know is that it will NOT be £50k. The base price is now $72k before taxes after a recent bump. That will equate to at least £76k landed into the U.K. based on current exchange rates due to VAT and import tariffs. That’s before you put any options on it. These things are Land/Range Rover competitors and not your ‘average family SUV’. The one you actually want is bordering on $100k.

The numbers in the article are our fantasy as they are pre-tax. The same thing happened when the model 3 came to Europe and it was >30% more than ‘expected’ and the internet was mad…

Associate
If you're not in the market for a towing vehicle then you don't have to worry.
Besides the rivian is far more palatable that some ice behemoths

Associate
Think it basically comes down to if you need to roll heavy towing etc, or are daily driving long distances unable to graze then an ICE has its place, for everyone else who can home charge at least or do enough mileage that fits in an EV window to justify the extra expense and don't enjoy the process of interacting with a machine for fun then EVs have you sorted.

The Rivian is a beast, very long car, parking that in your average car park will be interesting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you're not in the market for a towing vehicle then you don't have to worry.
Besides the rivian is far more palatable that some ice behemoths

My comment about people towing was in response to the person who said that nobody should be buying ice cars now. Clearly there are a big chunk of buyers who don't have any EV viable alternatives yet and even then, a choice of one square box ev at some point this year.

One thing we do know is that it will NOT be £50k. The base price is now $72k before taxes after a recent bump. That will equate to at least £76k landed into the U.K. based on current exchange rates due to VAT and import tariffs. That’s before you put any options on it. These things are Land/Range Rover competitors and not your ‘average family SUV’. The one you actually want is bordering on $100k.

The numbers in the article are our fantasy as they are pre-tax. The same thing happened when the model 3 came to Europe and it was >30% more than ‘expected’ and the internet was mad…

Indeed. At the moment there is quote a bit of choice in vehicles which tow above 2,500kgs in the ICE world ranging from the £38k SsangYong Rexton and £46k Kia Sorento and £56k VW touareg without getting into range rover money. If you only need 2,000Kgs then there are £29k Ford kuga £30k Skoda Superb and £40k BMW 5 series and £44k Mercedes E series to pick from as well.

Think it basically comes down to if you need to roll heavy towing etc, or are daily driving long distances unable to graze then an ICE has its place, for everyone else ( who can home charge at least ) and don't enjoy the process of interacting with a machine for fun EVs have you sorted.

The Rivian is a beast, very long car, parking that in your average car park will be interesting.

Indeed. At over 5m long and 2m wide it is a large beast for the UK roads.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just cannot be arsed to wait any longer and ordered one,
presumably no owners groups show people did get the camera; I wouldn't put it past manufacturers, that they are artificially limiting supply.
eg. they want a parts stock ready for more profitable MY23 models so are putting people off by pretending some supply issues for current year

I think now the big boys like cinch and wbac can essentially price fix second hand cars
Do they actually have a large share of overall market, or, do the many small independants out gun them,
everytime I see the cinch advert ( just learned the ratt with the white teeth in advert is not their CEO ), I question whether I would I ever buy a used car from a cloud garage.

Associate
My comment about people towing was in response to the person who said that nobody should be buying ice cars now. Clearly there are a big chunk of buyers who don't have any EV viable alternatives yet and even then, a choice of one square box ev at some point this year.

Indeed. At the moment there is quote a bit of choice in vehicles which tow above 2,500kgs in the ICE world ranging from the £38k SsangYong Rexton and £46k Kia Sorento and £56k VW touareg without getting into range rover money. If you only need 2,000Kgs then there are £29k Ford kuga £30k Skoda Superb and £40k BMW 5 series and £44k Mercedes E series to pick from as well.

Indeed. At over 5m long and 2m wide it is a large beast for the UK roads.
5.1 metres long and 2 metres wide.... that'll be the bmw x7 that currently frequents the school runs at present.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom