New car recommendations around 11k

Soldato
New car time, but I'm a bit stumped what to get. I want something fairly nippy, I guess around 150bhp, with good fuel economy and running costs. Needs to be around 3 years old and no more than 30k on the clock.

Was leaning towards a Leon FR, which seems to tick all the boxes. Struggling to find a good one in my price bracket though, so wondering about alternatives.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions so far...

Had considered the focus, but getting a bit long in the tooth now and can't afford the new one.

Same with the fiesta really.

Don't think I need more than 2 seats, hadn't really considered an Mx5. Still haven't forgiven Mazda over the way they treated me over my rx8 though.

Caporegime
Lexus CT200H however it must be used in sport mode if you want it to be nippy. Eco severely restricts it's power to where it feels like you are driving a 60BHP car.

Running costs - cheap due to hybrid.

Reliability - is extremely high with it being a Lexus. Also with it being a lexus it comes fully loaded and looks decent too. However you will have to go older than 3 years and more mileage than 30K however with it being a lexus neither of these should be an issue. Should last 200K and can be warrantied up to 100k and 10 years for £250 a year.

If you really want to stick to your 30K and 3 years then get the toyota version which is the Auris or Prius.

Don
Leon was launched 2013 I think? Still the current model.
2012 according to Wikipedia (only a year younger than the Mk3 Focus)

Yes, pretty nice. Fuel economy isn't fantastic though. It's s 2.0 litre.
Is the autotrader page correct? 48MPG combined? Seems decent.
41.2Mpg according to real mpg https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mazda/3-2014/20-165

Realistically most ~150bhp petrols aren't going to produce a lot better mpg than the 40-45mpg mark, regardless of actual engine size.

Caporegime
Associate
Yes, pretty nice. Fuel economy isn't fantastic though. It's s 2.0 litre.

I test drove the 165 and 120bhp versions and found the 165 a bit disappointing. The torque curves are identical up to 4500rpm where the ecu restricts the throttle on the 120 (can be removed by a remap). In the end I went for the 120 since it was cheaper to buy and tax.

Soldato
OP
Still leaning towards the Leon FR 150, assuming a good one comes up in my price range.

Eyeing a black one up, but it's a long trek to go see only to end up disappointed.

Already been to Cambridge, Nottingham and Derby.

Back
Top Bottom