New car recommendations around 11k

Soldato
Yep, definitely. I was seriously cheesed off with the slimey guy at pentagon. Puts me off ever going there again.

Had a video presentation for the black one now, and it does look good.

I'll need a bit more encouragement to drive two hours to go and see it though.

The dealer my mum bought her A5 from said he'd refund her train ticket if she felt the car wasn't as described - it was £70. Makes you feel more confident about buying it :)

Man of Honour
Soldato
OP
I have that Golf and love it. A lot of features for your money and well built & quiet. Engine drives well and has the funky cylinder cut down when needed which saves even more on fuel. I think it should have Sat Nav but didn't see it listed.

Yep, it's a nice car, same engine as the Leon I'm after. I'd take a golf, but a 15/16 plate is out of reach price wise.

Associate
The Seat is a great car. I managed to get a 2 year old fr 184 last year with 32000 on the clock for about £11700.
It did take me over 6 months to find the one I wanted. Was a bit picky on colour and what alloys it had.

Looking at the prices they seem to have gone up a fair bit since I have got mine.

Would have loved to get the Golf, but they were a lot more money so would have to look at one a few years older.

Caporegime
The Seat is a great car. I managed to get a 2 year old fr 184 last year with 32000 on the clock for about £11700.
It did take me over 6 months to find the one I wanted. Was a bit picky on colour and what alloys it had.

Looking at the prices they seem to have gone up a fair bit since I have got mine.

Would have loved to get the Golf, but they were a lot more money so would have to look at one a few years older.

is seat cheaper than the equivalent skoda?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I have that Golf and love it. A lot of features for your money and well built & quiet. Engine drives well and has the funky cylinder cut down when needed which saves even more on fuel. I think it should have Sat Nav but didn't see it listed.
That one does have Nav - you can see the button in one of the pictures. I'm not totally convinced that the 2-cyl cut really affects fuel economy that much. My 1.4 TSI ACT 150 DSG OMG WTF is currently averaging 35 MPG on a 30-minute motorway/city/stop-start commute.
is seat cheaper than the equivalent skoda?
The equivalent Skoda is an Octavia though, which is quite a bit bigger than the Leon/Golf.

Caporegime
That one does have Nav - you can see the button in one of the pictures. I'm not totally convinced that the 2-cyl cut really affects fuel economy that much. My 1.4 TSI ACT 150 DSG OMG WTF is currently averaging 35 MPG on a 30-minute motorway/city/stop-start commute.

The equivalent Skoda is an Octavia though, which is quite a bit bigger than the Leon/Golf.

Fabia?

Soldato
OP
Looks nice OP :)

Cheers :)

Fingers crossed it's as good as it looks in the pictures.

Only 9800 miles on the clock, 14 months manufacturers warranty left, got all the toys and costing £11999.

Motorpoint delivering it to my local site to view and test drive next Friday. If I don't want it, I can walk away with my deposit refunded.

Man of Honour
Odd, I get 42-44 average over a tank which is commuting on A and B roads and plenty of stop and start.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers :)

Fingers crossed it's as good as it looks in the pictures.

Only 9800 miles on the clock, 14 months manufacturers warranty left, got all the toys and costing £11999.

Motorpoint delivering it to my local site to view and test drive next Friday. If I don't want it, I can walk away with my deposit refunded.

Good thread and some decenf suggestions. I'll be looking probably in a year or sos time (praying my cars continue to last!)

I similarly like seat Leon /Ford focus.

Is that that the diesel Leon? What is the mpg for the petrol if not?

I do about 15k/16k miles a year so not sure if a diesel would be worth it?

Soldato
OP
Good thread and some decenf suggestions. I'll be looking probably in a year or sos time (praying my cars continue to last!)

I similarly like seat Leon /Ford focus.

Is that that the diesel Leon? What is the mpg for the petrol if not?

I do about 15k/16k miles a year so not sure if a diesel would be worth it?

This is the 1.4 turbo petrol 150bhp model. Fuel economy is one of the reasons I chose this particular engine. Combined figure is supposedly 60mpg, although I would take that figure with a pinch of salt.

Soldato
OP
Guy I used to work with who now lives in Burnley has kindly taken a look at the car for me. Barring a couple of minor chips, it seems in excellent condition :)

More pics:

received-2267663530164084.jpg

Soldato
Realistically most ~150bhp petrols aren't going to produce a lot better mpg than the 40-45mpg mark, regardless of actual engine size.

50MPG+ isn't too hard for me with the 1.4TSI, as the 150HP version has cylinder shutdown. Have seen on some commutes when I've been able to take it really easy 60MPG+!

Soldato
What kind of MPG does the leon FR diesel get?

When we talk about mileage, Are the higher miles people quote by cruising at 60mph behind a lorry or actual real world (70-80mph?). Luckily most my driving is motorway/70mph roads.

Back
Top Bottom