New car Road Tax confusion

Associate
I understand that for a NEW car with a list price of more than £40,000, the Road Tax for years 2,3,4,and 5 is £475. So, the list price of £40k, does it include extra for paint or is it the base listed cost?
Important as the paint would take the car over £40k and I an getting conflicting advice from different dealers on whether paint extra is included or not.

Soldato
If the sticker/list price is over £40k, you pay the additional amount. It is as black and white as that.

Edit: So to avoid confusion, the list price of your car including paint is over £40k. So there you go.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I appreciate this isn’t helpful, but if you’re spunking 40 grand on a car, you can afford the tax right?

Out of interest, what are the bands?

Seems a stupid system where is list/RRP and not invoice price. But then I guess everyone would fiddle the numbers so the invoice is £39,999.99 and the rest is paid in a brown envelope...

Soldato
Knock off some easy to install options to get it back under 40k. Buy and register car, pay dealer to install missing options :D

Associate
It will include paint and any selected option but you can remove number plates, first registration fee and the first year tax

Last edited:
Associate
Seems a stupid system where is list/RRP and not invoice price. But then I guess everyone would fiddle the numbers so the invoice is £39,999.99 and the rest is paid in a brown envelope...

RRP is what the advertised manufacturer price is. invoice is what you pay after discounts e.g. dealer contributions.

Associate
If the sticker/list price is over £40k, you pay the additional amount. It is as black and white as that.

Edit: So to avoid confusion, the list price of your car including paint is over £40k. So there you go.
I

it’s not that straight forward. The sticker price usually includes first registration and first year tax. These are not included in the £40k limit.

Associate
Well not if you were going to option them in the first place :confused:

yes it will because you are effectively buying 8 wheels. The ones the car comes with and the upgrades at full cost. If you spec a wheel upgrade, the cost is off set by the not fitting standard wheels (and tyres)

Caporegime
yes it will because you are effectively buying 8 wheels. The ones the car comes with and the upgrades at full cost. If you spec a wheel upgrade, the cost is off set by the not fitting standard wheels (and tyres)

Generally not how it works out. Additionally you can keep the 2nd set for winter tyres or sell them.

Soldato
There's a difference between a fiesta and 3 series in terms of market value for components. Particularly between the past and now.
It's all relative and time is even more scarce now. I get what you're saying because I've done it - but it was a total faff.

Back
Top Bottom