New car Road Tax confusion

Soldato
If you're just edging over the boundary then tick a few more options and really go for it. Go hard or go home ;)
The youths are saying 'just send it' now. I totally agree, hit 40k, then you're not even trying unless you're in low 50s. Remember to get the 20s in black :cool:

Soldato
I know many will see £40k as a fortune and consider anyone spending that to be wealthy.

However when you consider that the average new car sold in the UK costs ~£30k setting the premium at £40k feels like too low a figure for a 'luxury' car IMO.

Though I guess the intention is to make more tax money via catching out people buying higher spec mainstream models rather than only actually gouging the genuinely wealthy who are buying Porsches/Bentleys/etc.

If anything if I was buying a car just over £40k and immediately being gouged for several thousand more then it would put me off buying the car honestly.

I'd probably either stick with the car I had or buy something cheaper which im not sure is what the government should be incentivising people to do in terms of the economy and tax!

Last edited:
Soldato
I only ever bought 1 new car, but never doing that again. You lose so much money and for what? Just so you can drive it from delivery miles?

But yea, this current tax system is stupid and makes little sense.

Associate
I only ever bought 1 new car, but never doing that again. You lose so much money and for what? Just so you can drive it from delivery miles?

But yea, this current tax system is stupid and makes little sense.

The £40k tax premium applies to the original RRP so if you buy a pre owned car that was +£40k you’ll still get hit with the tax. This can discourage second hand buyers

Soldato
The £40k tax premium applies to the original RRP so if you buy a pre owned car that was +£40k you’ll still get hit with the tax. This can discourage second hand buyers

Yep within the first 5 years. I wouldn't buy one because there is no point. It's likely already out of warranty and you can go slightly older and not pay the tax.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
RRP is what the advertised manufacturer price is. invoice is what you pay after discounts e.g. dealer contributions.
Not sure why you’ve chosen to explain this to me, as I am well aware, hence my statement. But thanks I guess? :confused:

You're right, that isn't helpful.
:D

What is the next tax band? £500 a year really isn’t excessive in the grand scheme of things.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't buy one because there is no point. It's likely already out of warranty and you can go slightly older and not pay the tax.

Often you can't. Show me a G30 5 Series for sale used that doesn't attract the tax. It's been around for sufficient time now that many people buying 2-4 year old used cars are impacted. It also impacts in other ways - for cars with a list price of just under £40k there are now many used example with no spec or missing stuff you'd want because the original buyer didn't want to push it over the 40k bracket just because they added folding seats..

Man of Honour
What is the next tax band? £500 a year really isn’t excessive in the grand scheme of things.

Its all relative isn't it? It's an additional rate of about £350 a year. This adds almost £2k to your ownership costs over a 5 year period. Which, when its been triggered because you wanted blue paint not white paint, is offputting.

It's a non issue on a Porsche 911 obviously but you'd be surprised at the sort of stuff thats caught by this given how these days cars are generally sold with ridiculous list prices and 5 figure discounts. So your brand new £30k car attracts £1750 extra tax over 5 years because its list price was £40.5. Or your 4 year old 130k mile ex fleet 320d you bought off Ebay for £12k has the extra tax on it because it has a sunroof...

Soldato
Its all relative isn't it? It's an additional rate of about £350 a year. This adds almost £2k to your ownership costs over a 5 year period. Which, when its been triggered because you wanted blue paint not white paint, is offputting.

It's a non issue on a Porsche 911 obviously but you'd be surprised at the sort of stuff thats caught by this given how these days cars are generally sold with ridiculous list prices and 5 figure discounts. So your brand new £30k car attracts £1750 extra tax over 5 years because its list price was £40.5. Or your 4 year old 130k mile ex fleet 320d you bought off Ebay for £12k has the extra tax on it because it has a sunroof...

That's what annoys me about it. If it was being done to incentive manufacturers to lower emissions/etc at least you could see some merit in it.

However this is basically just a shameless tax grab by the government on people with enough disposable income to afford a nicely spec'd mainstream car.

Soldato
That's what annoys me about it. If it was being done to incentive manufacturers to lower emissions/etc at least you could see some merit in it.

However this is basically just a shameless tax grab by the government on people with enough disposable income to afford a nicely spec'd mainstream car.
:confused: much like the other "shameless tax grabs" where folk earning over £40k a year pay more in tax. Or folk over £150k pay more in tax. Or the other "shameless tax grab" where you pay 3% additional on a second properties stamp duty.

It is a luxury car tax so if you don't want to pay it, don't buy a luxury car. Simples. If you have a low emission car you already pay less VED, regardless of the luxury car tax being stuck on.

Be glad you don't live in Singapore where you have to pay something like £20k for your license.

Man of Honour
much like the other "shameless tax grabs" where folk earning over £40k a year pay more in tax. Or folk over £150k pay more in tax.

No, it's nothing like this because these are marginal rates not a cliff edge.

It results in absolutely ridiculous situations such as that where a BMW i3 range extender with a nice spec list pays twice the annual VED as a Ford Mustang V8.

Last edited:
Associate
make sure you uncheck any options for wheels - then just buy them afterwards.
yes sir heres your car ...oh theres a surcharge of x00000 for the bricks (seen the price of building materials:) )

old joke in reverse round our way they would pinch the wheels and leave the car on bricks ...now they nick the bricks:)

Soldato
No, it's nothing like this because these are marginal rates not a cliff edge.

It results in absolutely ridiculous situations such as that where a BMW i3 range extender with a nice spec list pays twice the annual VED as a Ford Mustang V8.
Lol, how many options did you add to prove this point? If cars such as 330e and 530e didn't flout the regs to make their cars come in under emissions then a luxury tax wouldn't have been required.

Soldato
It's also another tax threshold which doesn't move with inflation. It's already 4 years on, and more & more non luxury cars are being sucked into this cost as time passes.

Back
Top Bottom