DELETED_96987

Caporegime
I’ve driven my M135i for about 70,000 miles and in all sorts of weather (and always on MPSS) and I haven’t died, not even once.

Of course it’s easy to provoke the back end (which you cannot do in an S3...just understeer city) if you drive it like a hooligan but if you do that regularly enough for it to be an issue then you are, in fact, a massive gentleman’s sausage and you shouldn’t be on the road.
I agree with the sentiment, but I CAN get the rear end to go in the S3 in the wet... and certainly in the snow! Sure it soon sorts itself out and either grips or becomes a four wheel drift, but still!

They are now where near the understeer monsters of the earlier generation haldex equipped cars.

Soldato
Obviously RWD in the wet does require more careful application of the throttle to maintain maximum traction, where as AWD clearly you can be quite ham-fisted when it comes to throttle application.. however actual cornering speeds etc are not determined by which end the wheels are driven, more chassis/tyre/suspension/drivers balls etc..

Soldato
I do much prefer the look of the S3 saloon. I think they're nice looking cars. Agree with most people above.

Obviously everyone has their own opinions on the looks of all cars but the vast majority of people do seem to like the A3/S3 saloon shape a lot. Been driving one for three years now and always had plenty of comments on how good it looked and, early on, even asking what it was (was debadged).

Soldato
M240i every day of the week.

I'm surprised how many people seem to think BMW = die in a ditch + unable to move if the conditions are more than moist....

I had no issue in over 20k in my F31 330D with a daily commute taking in some pretty horrific roads in Gloucestershire/Wiltshire/Oxfordshire..... Including snow.... It's a total non issue if you drive sensibly and don't have 1mm of tread on the tyres.

Never once couldn't get to work. The gearbox in the M240i is a ZF8HP isn't it if you go Auto? if so, without doubt one of the best gearboxes I've used. Brilliant for day to day use.

Permabanned
M240i every day of the week.

I'm surprised how many people seem to think BMW = die in a ditch + unable to move if the conditions are more than moist....

I had no issue in over 20k in my F31 330D with a daily commute taking in some pretty horrific roads in Gloucestershire/Wiltshire/Oxfordshire..... Including snow.... It's a total non issue if you drive sensibly and don't have 1mm of tread on the tyres.

Never once couldn't get to work. The gearbox in the M240i is a ZF8HP isn't it if you go Auto? if so, without doubt one of the best gearboxes I've used. Brilliant for day to day use.

Nobody thinks that or said it. :)

Soldato
RWD is much more compromised in the wet, this is a fact not an opinion. :)

Every car is compromised in the wet. RWD is more prone to oversteer, FWD is more prone to understeer, all cars regardless of drivetrain layout are more prone to longer braking distances and aquaplaning. It simply means you have to drive in accordance with the conditions. This may mean - shock horror - slowing down a bit.

Permabanned
Every car is compromised in the wet. RWD is more prone to oversteer, FWD is more prone to understeer, all cars regardless of drivetrain layout are more prone to longer braking distances and aquaplaning. It simply means you have to drive in accordance with the conditions. This may mean - shock horror - slowing down a bit.

True but missing the point. :)

Man of Honour
For someone who enjoys driving in a more pure form the BMW would be the choice (better steering, RWD, more direct front when pushed). For someone who just wants a quick car, but with lots of nice stuff then pick the Audi.

Man of Honour
Its not about "managing just fine" its the fact you do have to moderate yourself significantly more in the wet in a RWD car.

Not really, we are not talking about 2.8 Capri V Audi Quattro here. This is 2 modern cars on good tyres with clever traction control systems. Wet roads usually means it's wet, not ice. Most cars will not struggle to put their power down on most roads when it's wet. Greasy roads perhaps, but good tyres will deal with most wet conditions on most cars before the driver has to get involved. The Audi with 4WD will perhaps make it easier, but that's the problem for some.

Soldato
Not really, we are not talking about 2.8 Capri V Audi Quattro here. This is 2 modern cars on good tyres with clever traction control systems. Wet roads usually means it's wet, not ice. Most cars will not struggle to put their power down on most roads when it's wet. Greasy roads perhaps, but good tyres will deal with most wet conditions on most cars before the driver has to get involved. The Audi with 4WD will perhaps make it easier, but that's the problem for some.

Agree, even this morning when the roads around here were slick with the night's frost I didn't die (again!). I could be fairly brutal with the throttle, and sure it span up the rears but the traction control sorts everything just fine! I cannot imagine any scenario where a FWD car would be any less safe, or for that matter any more dangerous, than mine.

Permabanned
VAG Fanboy one presumes

Hardly, got a 340i, though I have owned a Skoda. :p

Point is RWD does struggle to get the power down in the wet if you are not progressive. Which in itself isn't a problem as I drive to the conditions but it does give a traction disadvantage to AWD.

Traction control is pants too, now that may be the car as its not exactly a "performance car" more just a fastish saloon.

Man of Honour
The right leg is what I use and when it's slippy it just means I can spin up all 4 wheels. I sit with so many people in cars who see both accelerator and brake as an on off switch and I put that down to modern cars letting them.

Man of Honour
Yeah but again that isn't the point. :)

It is, 100% the point as you are suggesting a flaw in design, not a flaw in driving standards. I am acknowledging 4WD is easier and better when traction is an issue, I am disagreeing with your point about 2WD been significantly worse, for it isnt.

Back
Top Bottom