New care work job, bad split shifts *WISH I WAS DEAD*

Soldato
Afraid if I walk away I'll not be able to claim JSA whilst I get another job, guess I'll have to try and find another job asap.

Sucks. I couldn't get JSA because I was reading an educational book at the time. Now I'm back at the place that made me redundant working one-day-a-week on their busiest day.

Permabanned
This is one thing that actually baffles me about our monetary system.

I know it's because no body wants to do them, that it's the 'bottom end' (and I use that term incredibly loosely and not at all in a detrimental way) of society (e.g. cleaners, bin-men, carers), that is, the people who fell through the cracks that tend to take this jobs as a last resort and hence get paid so poorly, but surely it makes more sense to pay people more for doing the jobs that no-one wants to do? There are thousands of middle-management jobs that does nothing but paper-push yet find themselves paid above average.

You couldn't pay me 40k pa to scrub poo for a living. So why does paying minimum wage (which is realistically worse than that if you're on part-time hours) make any sense?

It's a ****ed up world. Care workers are just used and abused, hence why some go off the rails.

My sister works in care. She looks after mentally handicapped people (has to wipe their asses and stuff...), some are violent etc, and she gets less then 7 quid an hour..

I make more in a day then she will in 2 weeks. It's shameful really.

Permabanned
My sister works in care. She looks after mentally handicapped people (has to wipe their asses and stuff...), some are violent etc, and she gets less then 7 quid an hour..
AFAIK looking after people with violent dementia are paid at a much higher rate,
I'd have thought looking after violent disabled people would be comparable?

Care homes have separate wings for the two classes of resident, if they cater for them at all.

/

Last edited:
Associate
the care home system is a joke full stop. I deliver medication to care homes and some of the stories i have been told from the nurses is terrible, and what has been said is right, nurses get paid a close to minimum wage as possible for doing work that very few people would do themselves.

to the OP: Ive heard of some terrible working hours, even worked them myself. but that is far beyond illegal, as somebody said above get your arse to CAB asap and if you can get copies of the paperwork you signed ( which i think they have to provided if asked) to take to CAB, that is even better

Permabanned
AFAIK looking after people with violent dementia is paid at a much higher rate,
I'd have thought looking after violent disabled people would be comparable?

Care homes have separate wings for the two classes of resident, if they cater for them at all.

Not from what I hear. They're not all violent, just a select few. Still, just above min wage is a **** take IMO. I wouldn't do her job for the 400-500 I make per day.

Soldato
This is one thing that actually baffles me about our monetary system.

I know it's because no body wants to do them, that it's the 'bottom end' (and I use that term incredibly loosely and not at all in a detrimental way) of society (e.g. cleaners, bin-men, carers), that is, the people who fell through the cracks that tend to take this jobs as a last resort and hence get paid so poorly

The bin men where I work get a pretty sweet deal. £20k starting salary and potentially an hour free every day (They get paid til half 4 but can leave at half 3 if they've finished their round which they always seem to do).

Not bad for an unskilled job.

Permabanned
The bin men where I work get a pretty sweet deal. £20k starting salary
After finishing Poly I thought life was going to be great, then I realised that being a binman paid more than my first job. In fact, I'll never earn more than the guy in charge of binmen.
Make you wonder why people bother doing Engineering, might as well study Art and spend three years getting drunk in the student bar.

Soldato
How can someone get out of this job?

It's care work doing 48 hours a week 7:00am - 9:30pm 7 days a week. Problem is it's split shift which wasn't advertised/agreed to during the interview and only revealed after the training.

The split shifts are stupid, work for 2 hours then a break of 2 hours or 1 hour etc. It adds up to over 100 hours a week if you include the little breaks which are unpaid.

They want £380 training fees if you quit within the first six months (this wasn't mentioned until after the training).

Any thoughts? Who else works split shifts?

Did you sign a contract with these clauses? sounds like they don't reveal it until after you start because any sane person would tell them to **** off. Tell them that since new terms are being discussed you actually charge 30 quid an hour for your labour.

Caporegime
Get out asap. I did split shifts many years ago, and it nearly drove me nuts. Your state of mind is infinitely more important than money. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom