New care work job, bad split shifts *WISH I WAS DEAD*

Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;26441548 said:
Wishing you were dead because of your job is probably a pretty good indicator that you should look for another job.

+1

First time I have ever agreed with something you have said, and indeed the first time something you have said has made sense. :p

Soldato
The bin men where I work get a pretty sweet deal. £20k starting salary and potentially an hour free every day (They get paid til half 4 but can leave at half 3 if they've finished their round which they always seem to do).

Not bad for an unskilled job.

Here too. A customer of mine ran several businesses and also did a bin round, he told me he made £30k on that alone and he was a relief staff sewage cart driver (and they can earn £40k).

No way to carers get the recognition or pay they (most) deserve.

Soldato
Be careful what you wish for :)

I would get out ASAP if your job makes you feel that way.

RE 0 hour contracts, this seems like a government scheme to massage unemployment figures.

I agree with others, they should be completely illegal.

Soldato
The OP does need to carefully check his contract, however, as it's possible to opt out of the WTD via contract terms.

As far as I'm aware you can opt to work longer than 48 hrs per week. But not if it breaks the 11 Hrs rule.

The WTD also covers paid leave. Which you cannot opt out of either

Soldato
Never work split shifts it will get you down. I don't do them but I've done the odd few as one-offs now and then. Basically you come home and sit and wait to go back to work again. Hate it.

Not the same if it was 2 different jobs though.

Associate
There is no other option I'm afraid you are going to have to poo through your boss' letter box (both home and work). Maybe it is even case for a deuce in his car exhaust pipe.

Seriously though those hours are not good for your health

Soldato
It's 11. Employees must be given a minimum of 11 hours' uninterrupted rest time between shifts.

Ah right, thanks for the info. I thought it was 10hrs. Off topic - do you know if that includes time travelling to work for field based staff?

Only I very often do 12-14hrs a day only to be up and back on the road to get to a site somewhere.

Soldato
Ah right, thanks for the info. I thought it was 10hrs. Off topic - do you know if that includes time travelling to work for field based staff?

Only I very often do 12-14hrs a day only to be up and back on the road to get to a site somewhere.

I don't believe it does cover travel time, unfortunately. Travel time in the MIDDLE of the working day, as dictated by the company, would not count as rest time, but your own morning/evening commute between initial worksite and home would.

So, theoretically you could leave work at midnight, and be back in to begin your next shift at 11am the next morning, working through to midnight again. Seven days a week, if that took your fancy.

Associate

Travel time (but not commuting) does count towards WTD hours. We don't get paid travel time, but we are meant to record it so that the company can keep an accurate record of our hours.

Ran into this once when a flight was delayed. Home after midnight, in the office at 9.30. Manager suggested that I just go home and not record my hours properly when he found out :)

Soldato
They are fine for some people, but not if you are completely reliant on this income.

They also should work both ways. I.e. if you get a call from work asking you to come in, you are perfectly entitled to say no.

Unfortunately it seems all too often that employers abuse this; expecting you to be essentially "on call" for them...

Soldato
I work as a kitchen porter split shifts min wage 0 hours I do 40-60 hours a week depending how busy. 11 am till 3/4 ish then 6pm until anywhere between 10 pm and 1am. Its hell all the time especially in the 45 to 50 degree kitchen heat. And I tend to drink with the staff at the end of the night until 12 ish I spend about 9 hours a day at home to include 6 or 7 hours sleep.

Not really sure where I'm going with this to be honest... someone help me!

Caporegime
They also should work both ways. I.e. if you get a call from work asking you to come in, you are perfectly entitled to say no.

Unfortunately it seems all too often that employers abuse this; expecting you to be essentially "on call" for them...

Then crack down on bad employers not zero hour contracts. The companies employing zero hour contracts in that manner are probably just as bad in many other areas.

Associate
How can someone get out of this job?

It's care work doing 48 hours a week 7:00am - 9:30pm 7 days a week. Problem is it's split shift which wasn't advertised/agreed to during the interview and only revealed after the training.

The split shifts are stupid, work for 2 hours then a break of 2 hours or 1 hour etc. It adds up to over 100 hours a week if you include the little breaks which are unpaid.

They want £380 training fees if you quit within the first six months (this wasn't mentioned until after the training).

Any thoughts? Who else works split shifts?

change your stupid job to something else.

Back
Top Bottom