New care work job, bad split shifts *WISH I WAS DEAD*

Soldato
Unfortunately I fear this all a sign of the times. I work awful hours and not for much money, I hate it, I have been bullied and literally feel anxiety and dread before each shift starts.

I apply for everything I can but there is very little about at the moment. I would love to just resign but I have to live on something.

I think the OP can only do what we all should do in these cases. Knuckle down and try hard to find a better job. These types of jobs and companies are unlikely to change. Workers are two a penny out there and they know if you wont do it somebody else will.

Soldato
Zero hour contracts are NOT a bad thing.

But they are exploited. I think if a employee works over 16 hrs per week on avg for 17 weeks then they should be on a 16 hr contract at least.

Zero hour contracts SHOULD be used to help a business take on more staff as they are expanding. Not still being in place once the expansion is proven

Soldato

But they are exploited. I think if a employee works over 16 hrs per week on avg for 17 weeks then they should be on a 16 hr contract at least.

Zero hour contracts SHOULD be used to help a business take on more staff as they are expanding. Not still being in place once the expansion is proven

Zero hours worked in my favour. Desperate for work I took the risk with it. Once I had proved my self I now have over 40 hours per week minimum.

Problem is I now have too much. But I agree if it helps you get a foot in the door it is a good thing both sides.

Were a few brown pants moments over rent etc when i had the odd week with only 20.

Soldato
So you're doing over 100 hours a week?

That's ridiculous. When do you sleep, eat, shower etc.?

I just plain wouldn't be able to function after about the second day. The fact that you put *WISH I WAS DEAD* suggests to me that you're barely functioning as well.

Soldato
How can someone get out of this job?

It's care work doing 48 hours a week 7:00am - 9:30pm 7 days a week. Problem is it's split shift which wasn't advertised/agreed to during the interview and only revealed after the training.

The split shifts are stupid, work for 2 hours then a break of 2 hours or 1 hour etc. It adds up to over 100 hours a week if you include the little breaks which are unpaid.

They want £380 training fees if you quit within the first six months (this wasn't mentioned until after the training).

Any thoughts? Who else works split shifts?

Your sig,

cos everyday is the day to live it up!

You certainly won't be livin' it up if you take that job.

Associate
Its just exploitation. Putting breaks in a super long working day so you end up doing nothing but working all day everyday.

Would genuinely rather die than work those hours and on those terms.

Soldato

I worked over 16 hours a week on a zero-hour contract when I was studying, it worked very well for me.

Shifts were allocated to the staff that were known as being competent first, so not being a lazy git, I got pick of what shifts I wanted. For weeks when I had lots of other commitments, I could simply work less. It afforded me much more freedom than my friends in regular part time contracts.
I had a few friends that really hated it, but thats because they weren't on the priority list for shift allocation, and didn't get the hours they wanted.

The problem with zero-hour contracts arise when employers take on too much staff meaning that each person gets very few shifts, or like some of my friends, they were just plain lazy.

Soldato
Issues are that if you reject a call to come in, you'll be unlikely to get picked next time.

It's very fickle, and highly pathetic how some of these services/businesses/jokes are operated at a management level.

My local Cooperative Food Store has all their staff (exception being bakers and managers) on 0-hr contracts. A few say that they get called in at 9am, work 1hr, then get sent home. Only to get home and be told to come in. When they arrive, they then get sent home 2hrs later.

Considering most of the staff are young students who commute some 10miles round trip to get there, it is a huge exploitation of their desperation to work.

0-hr need a big overhaul to only be made available in specific circumstances. The current deployment of these contracts is just plain selfish greed on the part of the owners.

I understand if you leave they might try to charge you for training.

But if they fired you.... wonder if you are still liable.

i.e. turning up late and giving them attitude :lol

This is unlikely as they did not complete his training (a week of shadowing is still classed as training). They broke their verbal/written contract with him?

Man of Honour
When the Sainsburys warehouse opened up in Stoke they were doing a similar thing with split shifts: 4 hours on, 1 hour off, 3 hours on, 2 hours off, 4 hours on 2 hours off and so on.
They seemed to go through the whole of Stoke before they realised they had to treat people with respect.

Soldato
When the Sainsburys warehouse opened up in Stoke they were doing a similar thing with split shifts: 4 hours on, 1 hour off, 3 hours on, 2 hours off, 4 hours on 2 hours off and so on.
They seemed to go through the whole of Stoke before they realised they had to treat people with respect.

haydock depot isn't like this, we get a full 5 days @ 40 hours along with both breaks paid, so a full 8 hours paid :D

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
If you want out off a job you just need to do something that is unacceptable. As your title states "You wish you were Dead" I'd say you are at the stage where you will be prepared to do what it takes.
Get Creative & get out of that job ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom