New Career Ideas

Soldato
Hi all,

I bet that this sort of thread is posted every week, but every scenario is different and I would like to get some career advice :p :D

I am 29 years old and for the most part, I have been working at the same company since I started as an apprentice at 17 (I moved to Canada for a couple of years, and when I came back I rolled straight back into the same company).

I did an electrical engineering apprenticeship, and worked as an engineer for a good while, but when I returned to the UK, I knew I didn't want to be on the tools anymore. So for the past couple of years, I have been doing all sorts of different things at my current company (it's only a small company, and pretty unorganized, so I have to have my fingers in all the pies :p), but my primary job is "Contracts Manager".

I've been working in the same industry for years (Commercial Catering Equipment) and I've been slowly falling out of love with it and the company I work for. All cards on the table, I've also been suffering with some depression the past few months and I feel a new fresh start would be a good positive move for me.

So considering I've been settled in the same company for so long, this is going to be a scary new step, and I've had to start putting together a CV, which I am almost done with now.

But I'm at a loss of where to take myself to be honest - Are there websites that anyone know that could offer some inspiration?

In the past, I've liked the idea of being a Teacher, or a Paramedic. But I've heard so many horror stories of how poorly Teachers are treated in this country, I think I'm going to avoid that. And with the Paramedic job - I'm not confident I could do it as I would likely need to take a meaty pay cut, which I can't really afford to do right now...

In Canada, I worked as a Maintenance Manager at quite a prestigious hotel. I actually really enjoyed it - and I would be happy to return to a similar position, however the position is typically poorly paid, and I can't afford to take a salary hit right now...

One industry I've always been interested in Computers. I've built many computers in the past myself. When I was younger, and had more time, I would create websites and sell them on for a profit - In that time, I learnt how to code PHP/HTML/MYSQL to an OK-ish level, but I can't remember any of it now :p At the company I work at now, I am basically their IT tech guy as well - They have an IT guy they pay monthly to come in once a month to check over things etc., but for the most part it's me. In fact, there was an issue last week that stumped the IT guy, and another of his employees, and then I took a look at it and was able to fix the issue myself!

Some ideas that my friends have thrown at me:
- Start a Computer Repair company - I worry that because I have no real experience/certification, this will be a difficult one to just get going. I imagine I would need to get certified which will be a lot of time and money that I could only afford if I was also getting paid the salary I do now...
- CodeAcademy and learn to Code - I'm not as interested in coding, as I was when I was younger. Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of spare time, so I don't think this is going to be feasible.
- Apply for Contract Manager positions at other companies in different industries - Preferably, I would like to do something completely different. I don't particularly enjoy what I do anyway :p
- Contact Recruiters - After spending so long in the same industry, I've grown to hate Recruiters :p But this might be something I do once I have my CV in order.

I think I've gone on for long enough now, so I'll stop there. If you've made it this far, I thank you, and I would appreciate any advice at all that you have :D

Thanks,
Marky

Soldato
I worked as a pc tech for a couple of years on the back of getting an A+. It was really learn on the job though. The A+ is ok but really doesn't prepare you.

You could just wing it and learn as you go, Google is the most information rich tool you could ever need. The real problem comes with things like business insurance, rates and sourcing parts. If you zonk an £800 graphics card or a £3000 laptop can you afford to buy parts etc. So need to sort out the business side first and look at potential problems you will run into.

As I said Google is your friend and things like viruses and plenty of other software related problems just get a system backup and reinstall so no messing around for hours on end trying remove rootkits or fix no boot senarios.

The networking side is generally ok until start working on servers and enterprise equip, you need some skills for that otherwise your going to get into a lot of problems.

Caporegime
Some ideas that my friends have thrown at me:
- Start a Computer Repair company - I worry that because I have no real experience/certification, this will be a difficult one to just get going. I imagine I would need to get certified which will be a lot of time and money that I could only afford if I was also getting paid the salary I do now...

I suspect if dealing with the general public then it is just going to be down to marketing/word of mouth recommendations etc...

Though buying some books, reading some websites/watching tutorials and paying for some exam(s) is hardly going to break the bank, buy the books second hand if needed. Plus you're presumably not planning on just quitting your job to do this? Like you'd surely start off something like this part time, build up some customers and then see if it is feasible/if you can actually attract enough work to make it a viable full time endeavour.

I'd suspect there is limited money available and plenty of faffing about/after care dealing with stuff unrelated to whatever you fixed too if you're not careful in how you manage the expectations of customers with something like this.

- CodeAcademy and learn to Code - I'm not as interested in coding, as I was when I was younger. Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of spare time, so I don't think this is going to be feasible.

Do you have lots of hobbies or kids? Learning to code in your spare time is potentially feasible, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be any good at it... I mean it won't take much to learn the basics of say python and be able to knock up a few programs etc.. that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to make a living doing it.

- Apply for Contract Manager positions at other companies in different industries - Preferably, I would like to do something completely different. I don't particularly enjoy what I do anyway :p
- Contact Recruiters - After spending so long in the same industry, I've grown to hate Recruiters :p But this might be something I do once I have my CV in order.

Those two seem to go together - a recruiter is basically going to put you in the same job you're doing already albeit elsewhere...

ref this question:

But I'm at a loss of where to take myself to be honest - Are there websites that anyone know that could offer some inspiration?

You could try this, unlike some providers they're not charging a rip off fee:

https://www.morrisby.com/career-changers

I'm always a bit skeptical about "careers advisors" as they're not really going to know much about the various careers they advise on, but if you're really stuck for ideas then maybe they can come up with something you'd not have thought of based on your interests/abilities etc.. and their suggestions will be based on some testing they get you to carry out.

Soldato
Computer Repair companies are 10 a penny and pretty difficult to make a good living from. Most people seem to just do it on the side to supplement their main income.

I feel your issue is being unwilling/unable to take a pay cut. A change of career will typically require this (unless you're on a really crap wage!)

What do you do in your current job as actual tasks? There must be some parts you enjoy.

Soldato
OP
I worked as a pc tech for a couple of years on the back of getting an A+. It was really learn on the job though. The A+ is ok but really doesn't prepare you.

You could just wing it and learn as you go, Google is the most information rich tool you could ever need. The real problem comes with things like business insurance, rates and sourcing parts. If you zonk an £800 graphics card or a £3000 laptop can you afford to buy parts etc. So need to sort out the business side first and look at potential problems you will run into.

As I said Google is your friend and things like viruses and plenty of other software related problems just get a system backup and reinstall so no messing around for hours on end trying remove rootkits or fix no boot senarios.

The networking side is generally ok until start working on servers and enterprise equip, you need some skills for that otherwise your going to get into a lot of problems.

I'm not 100% convinced that something in Computers is what I want to do, but I know that it's something I am passionate about, and I already feel I'm at a pretty competent level.

I think the create my own business route is something I would consider if I did some repair work for another company first.

You could try this, unlike some providers they're not charging a rip off fee:

https://www.morrisby.com/career-changers

I'm always a bit skeptical about "careers advisors" as they're not really going to know much about the various careers they advise on, but if you're really stuck for ideas then maybe they can come up with something you'd not have thought of based on your interests/abilities etc.. and their suggestions will be based on some testing they get you to carry out.

Thanks for the link, I will check out :)

Computer Repair companies are 10 a penny and pretty difficult to make a good living from. Most people seem to just do it on the side to supplement their main income.

I feel your issue is being unwilling/unable to take a pay cut. A change of career will typically require this (unless you're on a really crap wage!)

What do you do in your current job as actual tasks? There must be some parts you enjoy.

Yeah I suspect repair companies won't make me a millionaire that's for sure :p I think to make a decent salary, I would need to work with businesses rather than people, but I need the experience first. I'm not convinced I have enough passion in repair work to be repairing computers though really, so it's probably just a dream for me.

The pay is really important unfortunately :p I can't afford to take a hit in my salary - I'm currently on £30k.

The company I work for at the moment has recently become quite toxic, and I am expected to do my own job, as well as carry others (I feel like I've probably been here a bit too long, and now I'm being taken advantage of :() - Hence why I would like a change. Some of the jobs I've taken on while at this company have been:

- Electrical Engineer (Started as an apprentice there and was a fully qualified engineer for 7 years total).
- Service Manager (I covered this position for over 3 months and I am asked to cover it when they're not in, which involved managing the engineers days, taking calls, handling orders and call outs etc. Pretty intense admin based role).
- Projects Manager (I managed one project but I did not get the tuition I could tell I would need to flourish in this role - So I asked to move onto something else...).
- Contracts Manager (What I'm currently doing now - I'm basically running all the Service Contracts we have. Managing relationships with clients, and also getting out and getting business).

In the time I've been office based, rather than on the tools, I've managed a few "admin projects" on the side, such as:
- I renegotiated our contracts with the van hire firm and replaced our entire fleet with brand new vans, and managed to save the company over £15k a year
- Managed the switch over from normal phone lines to a VOIP system with BT Cloud Business (This switch also saved the business another £2k a year)
- Managed the switch to Office 365 for our office and for our engineers (tablets/phones etc.)

I've been looking all around for different careers options - I have definitely considered going back into a Maintenance role, as some sites in London have job offers from between £35-45k, but I have to cover the cost of trains back and forth every day, which I've been told by a friend who has worked in London, will cost me upwards of £5k a year :eek:

Man of Honour
Really don't think computer repair company is the way to go these days, for several reasons:
  • Diminishing number of people with traditional PCs - plenty of people favouring mobile devices nowadays
  • General consumer trend of replace rather than fix broken things - either their laptop is covered by warranty, or they will just get a new one, as not worth the cost of repair for something out of date
  • Easier for people to do their own research e.g. internet articles, youtube vids etc
  • Software is generally more stable these days compared to so old version of Windows etc where things would just get screwed up after a while
  • Likewise ease of use has improved - things like moving files from an old computer to new, setting up backups etc are no longer the realm of tech savvy people, often it is supported out of the box nowadays
  • Strikes me as just generally quite a risky and unpredictable business, I imagine all it takes is a couple of 'problem cases' that keep coming back to really eat into your profits

Soldato
Bump :) Anyone with any bright ideas? :p

What are your outgoings/commitments?

From there work out how much money you actually need.

You say you worked at a company where you did lots of different things, use that to your advantage in your CV.

Do the Morrisby profile test and the Future authoring programme which costs £12. You'll find out what you actually want to do and what matches your personality.

Looking at your achievements is seems that you enjoy negotiating contracts, why not start your own business?

Soldato
Do you have any management NVQs or a MBA? How about going into IT management? A company like CSC (a former employer of mine) might well be interested in you.

Soldato
OP
Really don't think computer repair company is the way to go these days, for several reasons:
  • Diminishing number of people with traditional PCs - plenty of people favouring mobile devices nowadays
  • General consumer trend of replace rather than fix broken things - either their laptop is covered by warranty, or they will just get a new one, as not worth the cost of repair for something out of date
  • Easier for people to do their own research e.g. internet articles, youtube vids etc
  • Software is generally more stable these days compared to so old version of Windows etc where things would just get screwed up after a while
  • Likewise ease of use has improved - things like moving files from an old computer to new, setting up backups etc are no longer the realm of tech savvy people, often it is supported out of the box nowadays
  • Strikes me as just generally quite a risky and unpredictable business, I imagine all it takes is a couple of 'problem cases' that keep coming back to really eat into your profits

I agree - It's a bit of a dream tbh... I don't see it being feasible, especially without full time working experience at another company.

What are your outgoings/commitments?

From there work out how much money you actually need.

You say you worked at a company where you did lots of different things, use that to your advantage in your CV.

Do the Morrisby profile test and the Future authoring programme which costs £12. You'll find out what you actually want to do and what matches your personality.

Looking at your achievements is seems that you enjoy negotiating contracts, why not start your own business?

I can't afford to not be on anything below £30k really... I have a mortgage and enough outgoings to worry about unfortunately.

But I feel with my skill set, I don't deserve anything under £30k either (to be honest, I'm underpaid in the position/industry I am currently working for) :p

I will check out the Morrisby test, thanks :)

I love the idea of starting my own business - It's just about deciding what on :p

Do you have any management NVQs or a MBA? How about going into IT management? A company like CSC (a former employer of mine) might well be interested in you.

I'm afraid not - All my Management experience, I've learnt on the job. My first management position was when I worked at a hotel a few years ago when I was made Maintenance Manager, working with just 6 other engineers - I do enjoy Management, but I feel I haven't had a ton of experience yet...

What sort of things do you handle in IT Management?

Another industry I would like to work in is the Gaming industry - But again, it's another industry that I've heard many negative stories about :(

Back
Top Bottom