New chain and sprokets/re-gearing

Soldato
My chain is looking a bit manky as is my rear sproket. There is nothing wrong with them really, but I want a nice pretty gold set I think. Anyone on here reccomend any, or any deals?

I am thinking of dropping a tooth to 15 on the front and maybe adding one onto the back, for more accelaration, but this will knock out my speedo quite a bit wont it? anyone know of a device to re-calibrate?

I also think I will go for a 520 pitch chain over the standard 532 to loose some unsprung weight whilst I'm at it :cool:

Any reccomendations would be cool!

Soldato
OP
Shoei said:
B&C is where i got mine from.
Renthal sprokets and Tsubaki 520 chain.
I dropped 1 tooth at front and up 2 on the rear :)

Not sure wether to do 1 or two on the rear, should give it a nice kick up the arse! :cool:
I'll have a look on B&C
Anyone done similar to a 600? I want to know how much I'll knock the speedo out by, it will read higher than its actually going wont it? How much real speed do you think it will take off the top end, about 10mph? I can live with it topping out at 150 :D

Last edited:
Associate
Oakesy2001uk said:
Not sure wether to do 1 or two on the rear, should give it a nice kick up the arse! :cool:
I'll have a look on B&C
Anyone done similar to a 600? I want to know how much I'll knock the speedo out by, it will read higher than its actually going wont it? How much real speed do you think it will take off the top end, about 10mph? I can live with it topping out at 150 :D

Try this for working out you new top speed. You can change the final drive ratio to what ever you want, plus is has the stock settings for the R6.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ator0437/Beta/index.htm

Soldato
OP
Shoei said:
Try this for working out you new top speed. You can change the final drive ratio to what ever you want, plus is has the stock settings for the R6.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ator0437/Beta/index.htm

thats really cool (if accurate)
157 mph apparently, on -1 at the front and +2 at the rear. but does that not presume the rev counter is accurate? I thaght they were all out but about 5% so my bike wont actually do 15500 rpm, might be wrong. I presume with -1+2 it would easilly top out in 6th it nearly manages it now!

On that evidence -1 on the front and +2 rear should make a massive difference to accelaration, and push all my revs up 900 rpm for the same speed, not too bad

Soldato
OP
£132 for renthal front and adonised rear, and a tsubaki 520 pitch xring race chain. Not bad at all, from moto racing. Just got to decide on +1 or +2 on the rear now. +2 might be a little frantic. Also my bike will rack up the miles quicker if the speedo is out. will it be significantly out do you think? The americans have something called speedohealer, anyone know of anything similar over here?

if its 900 revs higher with -1 +2 then it will be 900 revs of speed in that gear out wont it, thats a fair bit!

Associate
Oakesy2001uk said:
The americans have something called speedohealer, anyone know of anything similar over here?

if its 900 revs higher with -1 +2 then it will be 900 revs of speed in that gear out wont it, thats a fair bit!

i posted the link to speedohealer.
I know a few ont eh Firestorm list have speedo healers and they work well.

Permabanned
Oakesy2001uk said:
£132 for renthal front and adonised rear, and a tsubaki 520 pitch xring race chain.

Ouch, I'd just buy a Gold X-ring chain plus sprockets from Busters, it's only about £95 inc P+P. You always get decent chains too. I think they only do standard size sprockets but you can buy a smooth toothed front for about £15 from B&C http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/cgi-bin/bc_page.pl?cat=SPR-ROAD&nav=Yamaha

One off the front = about 3 on the rear too.

Soldato
OP
DynaMight said:
Ouch, I'd just buy a Gold X-ring chain plus sprockets from Busters, it's only about £95 inc P+P. You always get decent chains too. I think they only do standard size sprockets but you can buy a smooth toothed front for about £15 from B&C http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/cgi-bin/bc_page.pl?cat=SPR-ROAD&nav=Yamaha

One off the front = about 3 on the rear too.

had a look, £128 from thereso saves a couple of quid. The 520 pitch chains are a little more, but save around 1/2 a kilo of unsprung weight over stock. thats cheap unsprung weight!

I was going to take one off the front anyway, and add one to the rear, maybe even two, dont know how extreme to go on the gearing!

Also can anyone link to a good chain tool? not got one, if I want to fit it myself I need a good tool/fitting kit. Trying to build a tool collection, by buying the tool for the job each time I do a job.

Permabanned
I borrowed one from a mate, it works really well. Just make sure it's a half deent £50ish one.

As long as you get a speedohealer you can go as extreme as you like, although with winter coming up.... maybe worth waiting. I cant say I personally see the point of saving the odd kilo on a road bike, it's not going to make any difference to who gets to the pub quicker.

Soldato
OP
DynaMight said:
I borrowed one from a mate, it works really well. Just make sure it's a half deent £50ish one.

As long as you get a speedohealer you can go as extreme as you like, although with winter coming up.... maybe worth waiting. I cant say I personally see the point of saving the odd kilo on a road bike, it's not going to make any difference to who gets to the pub quicker.

no but it is for track days as well, I'm not saying I'm good enough to notice, but cheap unsprung weight is no bad thing, worth the extra couple of quid :)

I'll leave it until spring I think, or at least untill I have decided if I'm keeping the car or not. If I have to commute in the winter I want smooth delivery. If I keep the car I'll do it soon, but can't really justify keeping it after december when insurance runs out, only use it when its raining.

Soldato
OP
Pug said:
heh, think i'll be leavin the front sprocket on my SP1 well alone, lifts the wheel on the throttle as is :D

mine does get frisky occaisionally at the front, but I have only unsettled it once and that was 2 up (not a problem as I now have no rear footpegs), so dosent wag its head too much. With such a short wheelbase as you have on 600's its always going to want to lift and slap, no steering dampner on mine either, gearing should make it a bit better, but you are right, start of next riding season may be the best time to do it, depending on if I'm riding the winter or not.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
my old ZX6 was a monocycle 2-up when deathed in anything below 4th, but my new baby lifted off the throttle 1-up when i overtook a car in 4th the other day - without even trying too hard. Partly my fault, i snapped it down from 5th, and gunned it - never a wise move on a 100cc VTwin :D

Soldato
OP
Pug said:
my old ZX6 was a monocycle 2-up when deathed in anything below 4th, but my new baby lifted off the throttle 1-up when i overtook a car in 4th the other day - without even trying too hard. Partly my fault, i snapped it down from 5th, and gunned it - never a wise move on a 100cc VTwin :D

no you need to watch those 100cc Vtwins, the power is astounding :D

I know all about twins from my dad's millie, he loves the twins. My cousing GSXR1000 K5 is running 172bhp at the wheel, its just obscene that thing just lifts off the throttle at most revs in 1st to 5th in varying ammounts :cool: far too quick for the road in my opinion, but he seems to like it :D I like being able to use all the revs and snap it open without having to worry too much about flipping/high siding, when the tyres are hot you get the odd wriggle from the rear end when driving hard out of tighter bends, but I wouldent feel as confident on a litre inline 4.

Back
Top Bottom