New components going in, still reformat?

Soldato
Hey guys, I wasn't sure on people's take on things nowadays, I'm planning on (As the 900000+ threads I've posted suggest) upgrading from my E8400 to an I5 as soon as possible financially, but would people suggest its really worth bothering to reformat the machine when new components go in (Was done ~7 weeks ago and just got things back how I like things.)

afaik, everything should be fine, should just pick up new drivers & things will adjust accordingly, and if there is any software installed for the old board, just take it off?

Thanks!

Caporegime
You would need to do a fresh install as you are changing the core of the system (motherboard and CPU).

When you change the motherboard, you usually have to re-install the operating system to get everything working again. And even if the operating system works fine without a re-install, it is definitely recommended.

Since this is going to be a major change, I would say that yes, you will definitely have to or else definitely should, re-install the operating system.

Associate
When I built my new pc, which was a full build of new motherboad, CPU and RAM I just plugged my SSD back in and it just worked.....Booted up and it automaticly installed a few drivers and all good.....

Soldato
It is generally recommended that you do a clean install when changing major components to prevent instability caused by driver clashes.

I know it can be a pain in the back side though, six weeks before I upgraded earlier this year I did a re-installed of Windows. Then had to re-install it again for the new machine, and six weeks later I bought an SSD and had to again re-install everything over again.

Back
Top Bottom